Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Open source Virtual Waiting Room
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Open source Virtual Waiting Room

Hi,

Is there a open source virtual waiting room. Once of my client occasionally have flash sale on their site and it bring their system into crawl and unable to finalise the sales.

Comments

• What do you mean by a virtual waiting room? Like a chat system that is empty?

• williewillie Member

If your client's site slows down under heavy load, chances are the software is bogging down in some way and you have to fix it. Slow Wordpress plugins immediately comes to mind, but it could be almost anything. Finally although even low end servers these days are faster than mainframes of not that long ago, you might at some point have to upgrade.

• ChuckChuck Member

@JohnMiller92 said:
    What do you mean by a virtual waiting room? Like a chat system that is empty?

He mean like amazon gold box deal.

• online IRC room?

• williewillie Member

Don't have a waiting room, whatever that is. Just speed up the site so people don't have to wait.

• Take a look at Cloudflare, you should be able to tied up with WAF. On the other hand, I have only seen a few solutions (paid) offer waiting room service.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@JohnMiller92 said:
    What do you mean by a virtual waiting room? Like a chat system that is empty?

Probably like a virtual queue, where only N amount of users can simultaneously use the site, and everybody else gets stopped at the network edge with a page showing a numbered spot in the queue, telling them to return later.

An example of this is what Pretix does, the ticket sales system used for eg. the Chaos Communication Congress, to prevent the hug-of-death when tickets go on sale.

Thanked by 1JohnMiller92
  • defaultdefault Veteran

• I remember a site doing this, you had to wait for hours to get in and watch cat pictures.

• pikepike Veteran

@somewhatwindy said:
    I remember a site doing this, you had to wait for hours to get in and watch cat pictures.

Sounds like a great idea if you hate your customers.

• imokimok Member

https://queue-it.com

No experience as an admin. It was used by a company to sell football tickets to all the crazy Peruvian fans.