Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Deal (?): YubiKey 4 for $5 w/free shipping
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Deal (?): YubiKey 4 for $5 w/free shipping

raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Saw this on FB. On the one hand, a Yubikey 4 is $40 so getting one for $5 is a great buy.

On the other hand, the Y4 is the first one that is black box/closed source. Yubico devs have also been a bit dickish in response to questions on this point.

I did order one just to play with it as I haven't fondled a Yubikey yet in my life.

Oh, and you also get a year subscription to WIRED but I doubt anyone cares much about that tired mag :-)

Caveat emptor but if you want a Y4, it's a deal. Deal below is dated May 22 but it worked for me last night. No idea if it's available in all countries.

https://slickdeals.net/f/11620619-yubikey-4-security-key-1-year-wired-magazine-subscription-5-free-shipping

Comments

• I was on their $6 first year Wired magazine plus a Tote bag and a Yubikey 4 deal half an year ago. The Yubikey 4 took almost 4 months to arrive. That being said, the Wired magazine is quite informative; definitely worth the dollars.

• AluminatAluminat Member
    edited July 2018

Hmm. It's seems I can't access deal page

Do I have to create an account for subscribe magazine?

• @Aluminat said:
    Hmm. It's seems I can't access deal page

Do I have to create an account for subscribe magazine?

I don't think so. I cant access the page too. They might not available for all country as raindog308 stated

direct link https://subscribe.wired.com/subscribe/wired/116304

Thanked by 1Aluminat
  • Got one for the hell of it. I've got one upstairs already from a while back when github had a promo too, but for 5 bux why not I guess.

• ChuckChuck Member
    edited July 2018

Sales tax $0.52 (10%) for digital items.

Fuck this corrupted government.

Your subscription will be automatically renewed unless you tell us to stop.

Thanked by 1szarka
  • ajh76ajh76 Member
    edited July 2018

I actually just took this offer a couple months ago (it was $10 back then, but same offer). First issue took about 4 weeks to arrive and the Yubikey came in a separate envelope 2 weeks after that. It's basically the same thing except there's a WIRED logo on the back.

The terms actually say you can cancel anytime and get a prorated refund, but I didn't try that.

• Damn, international subscriptions are free for 3 months, BUT the YubiKey will only be shipped after that period and after paying $19.99 for a whole year of subscription, haha!

So yeah, US only.

• ajh76ajh76 Member
    edited July 2018

Also, I read your title as "get 4 Yubikeys for 5 bucks" and got excited for a second. Still a great offer nonetheless.

Thanked by 1thagoat
  • szarkaszarka Member

@ajh76 said:
    Also, I read your title as "get 4 Yubikeys for 5 bucks" and got excited for a second. Still a great offer nonetheless.

Me, too! LOL

Also, I remember when Wired was a good enough magazine that they didn't have to bribe people to subscribe.

• I've signed up for Wired like 4 times between a handful of credit cards. Receive key one, waiting for keys two and three. I have a NEO that I use with my phone with NFC as my primary but I like to keep a master key in my safe, one on my key ring, and my neo goes around my neck.

• ajh76ajh76 Member

@daxterfellowes said:
    I've signed up for Wired like 4 times between a handful of credit cards. Receive key one, waiting for keys two and three. I have a NEO that I use with my phone with NFC as my primary but I like to keep a master key in my safe, one on my key ring, and my neo goes around my neck.

Did you use the same address? I kinda wanted to try that because I want to get another one as backup but I don't know if they check addresses or not.

• williewillie Member

Why does anyone want Wired on paper in 2018? You can read it online. Dunno the story with the Yubi 4 but whatever it does, I'd rather stay with open standards.

• @willie said:
    Why does anyone want Wired on paper in 2018? You can read it online. Dunno the story with the Yubi 4 but whatever it does, I'd rather stay with open standards.

Any open standards alternatives?

• How's the paper quality on Wired? Anything like the classic NatGeo?

• ChuckChuck Member

@vimalware said:
    How's the paper quality on Wired? Anything like the classic NatGeo?

it should be "good enough" if you ran out of toilet paper.

Thanked by 1classy
  • joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@plumberg said:

@willie said:

Any open standards alternatives?

Nitrokey?

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • @ajh76 said:

@daxterfellowes said:
    I've signed up for Wired like 4 times between a handful of credit cards. Receive key one, waiting for keys two and three. I have a NEO that I use with my phone with NFC as my primary but I like to keep a master key in my safe, one on my key ring, and my neo goes around my neck.

Did you use the same address? I kinda wanted to try that because I want to get another one as backup but I don't know if they check addresses or not.

Same address. Used my wife's name for the third one and of course different emails and CC info for second and third.

• TomTom Member

Aw, USA only

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

From the wired page:
    Offer valid in U.S. only.

Thanked by 1Aluminat
  • @Chuck said:
    Sales tax $0.52 (10%) for digital items.

Fuck this corrupted government.

Man, Communist Canada charges 5% + provincial sales tax (ending with a percentage ranging from 5 to 15 percent).

Then again, EU VAT...

• Who has received their Yubikey?