Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hourly billed VPS providers with multiple locations in the US?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hourly billed VPS providers with multiple locations in the US?

I am looking for very basic specs for the most part, except I am looking for high bandwidth and an IPv4 address. If the plans are cheap enough then the bandwidth issue shouldn't be much of an issue as I can get multiple ones. $5 is a bit too much for my intentions, the Vultr would be great if it came with an IPv4.

I am basically looking for something similar to what Scaleway or Hetzner offers, but am needing servers in the US. Does something like this exist?

As well, by hourly billing I am meaning that if I use the server for the whole month, I will pay a one month price, but for example if I only used the server for a few minutes, my bill would just be a penny.

Comments

• So 7/10 of a penny per hour is too much for you to spend on digital ocean or amazon lightsail?

• @OmgpleaseRead said:
    So 7/10 of a penny per hour is too much for you to spend on digital ocean or amazon lightsail?

That is correct. The hourly example was just to say I want actual hourly billing, not companies that advertise hourly but still charge you monthly.

• williewillie Member

jamespeach said: $5 is a bit too much for my intentions... if I only used the server for a few minutes, my bill would just be a penny.

What the heck are you doing where you're using the servers for short enough periods that hourly billing matters, and you need so many of them that the pennies add up to too much? This sounds dubious.

• @willie said:

jamespeach said: $5 is a bit too much for my intentions... if I only used the server for a few minutes, my bill would just be a penny.

What the heck are you doing where you're using the servers for short enough periods that hourly billing matters, and you need so many of them that the pennies add up to too much? This sounds dubious.

For the second time, this is not my intention, I am simply looking for a server that actually charges hourly, as many companies advertise an hourly rate but will still charge you a monthly rate no matter how long you use the server for. the reason I stated that it's because I've seen many companies advertise hourly rates but still charge a monthly rate anyways.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

jamespeach said: I am looking for very basic specs for the most part, except I am looking for high bandwidth and an IPv4 address. If the plans are cheap enough then the bandwidth issue shouldn't be much of an issue as I can get multiple ones. $5 is a bit too much for my intentions, the Vultr would be great if it came with an IPv4.

Vultr does come with an ipv4...just not on their $2.50 plan.

Vultr, DO, Linode are the cheap hourlies. Amazon, Microsoft Azure, Google are the expensive hourlies. There is no one doing $1/mo VPSes at hourly prices.

Seems like you want Vultr servers with Amazon flexibility at GreenValueHost prices. Unlikely.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Someone's desperate.

• williewillie Member

jamespeach said: many companies advertise an hourly rate but will still charge you a monthly rate no matter how long you use the server for.

I've never come across anyone doing that, at least among the usual providers mentioned here (Linode, DO, etc). Can you name anyplace that does?

Actually the trend now is to advertise an hourly rate but actually bill by the minute or by the second, so if you use 1.3 hours you don't get charged for 2 hours.

• seanhoseanho Member

OP, you should understand that the provider's costs for the server (transit, power, staffing, etc.) are ongoing every month. You noted that hourly rental is a value-add for the customer because you don't need to pay for the server when you're not using it. That flexibility has a cost attached to it. Expect hourly rates over the course of a month to add up to at least 1.5-2x the monthly rate for equivalent service.

The absolute cheapest hourly servers I've been able to find are Hetzner and iwStack; neither are in the US. (I'm not sure if Prometeus ever extended iwStack to Dallas.)

• edited July 2018

seanho said: The absolute cheapest hourly servers I've been able to find are Hetzner and iwStack; neither are in the US. (I'm not sure if Prometeus ever extended iwStack to Dallas.)

Nope, Netherlands, Italy and Romania only, by the looks of their site.

• If you're fine with a single location, cloudcone has cheap plans in Los Angeles. Look through their previous posts for offers

Thanked by 1Cloudcone
  • @ehhthing said:
    If you're fine with a single location, cloudcone has cheap plans in Los Angeles. Look through their previous posts for offers

OP made it clear he wanted multiple locations

• @jaysherman you are missing context before making your post. Someone posted a stupid offer that was commented on. Then you made your post.

• PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2018

@jaysherman Well I went ahead and gave you a friendly edit to show ppl you love them!

Edit: Good ole Jay couldn't be nice so he is off to see the wizard!

• @PieNotEvenEaten

Offtopic: Grats on the mod pos

Thanked by 1PieHasBeenEaten
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

Hasn't @PieNotEvenEaten been a mod for a while now?

Or I took the wrong pill.

• AidanAidan Member

Hasn't @PieNotEvenEaten been a mod for a while now?

Da.