Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Host Koala SSD RAID failure
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Host Koala SSD RAID failure

corbpiecorbpie Member
edited July 2018 in General

Edit - Turns out Host Koala lied to their customers about downtime. Blaming a server migration as a SSD RAID failure......

As per the screenshot below Host Koala appears to have an SSD RAID failure

Comments

• Honestly, stuff like this can happen with most providers out there. At the very least they're offering you compensation for the downtime caused by this, so kudos to them for that.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited July 2018

Er?

Not had any failures since shared04.

We are doing an upgrade on shared01 but that finished his morning without any loss.

Infact the old node is still online just in case.

Francisco

Thanked by 1FHR

We even sent an email 2 days ago explaining the upgrade and the move to nice nvmes.

People need to put down the pipe.

Francisco

Thanked by 1Gatto
  • Maybe they has raid failure and then move it to buyshared, not buyshared the one who has raid failure

@robohost said:
    Maybe they has raid failure and then move it to buyshared, not buyshared the one who has raid failure

That subnet is shared01 which was disabled from provisioning while we migrated.

I dunno, could be a translation issue if they don't natively speak English.

Francisco

• vovlervovler Member
    edited July 2018

@Francisco said:

@robohost said:
    Maybe they has raid failure and then move it to buyshared, not buyshared the one who has raid failure

Francisco

He does mention an "old cPanel URL", and to not use it.

If we had the old we would be able to determine the IP of the node that allegedly failed, and if it belongs to FranTech Solutions or not.

• FoulFoul Member

Lol.

Buyshared was just migrating... no raid failures.

@vovler said:

@Francisco said:

@robohost said:

Francisco

He does mention an "old cPanel URL", and to not use it.

If we had the old we would be able to determine the IP of the node that allegedly failed, and if it belongs to FranTech Solutions or not.

/Shrug

Any feedback from the OP?

Francisco

• IshaqIshaq Member

If in doubt, blame RAID.

Thanked by 2Zare Ympker
  • @Francisco said:
    Er?

Not had any failures since shared04.

We are doing an upgrade on shared01 but that finished his morning without any loss.

Infact the old node is still online just in case.

Francisco

Host koala is lying?

corbpie said: Host koala is lying?

Or they had a failure somewhere else and moved to us.

Old nodes still online, I just logged into it a few minutes ago to check on our migration scripts.

Francisco

Thanked by 1Foul
  • FoulFoul Member

Francisco said: Or they had a failure somewhere else and moved to us.

Looks like according to their site, and uptime pages.. They've been with you for a while.. and is trying to blame it on a raid failure... when they were told it was a migration.. lol.

Kids these days

@Foul said:

Francisco said: Or they had a failure somewhere else and moved to us.

Looks like according to their site, and uptime pages.. They've been with you for a while.. and is trying to blame it on a raid failure... when they were told it was a migration.. lol.

Kids these days

I dunno, I would think the bump in performance would be a glowing point, no need to throw me under the bus for it.

Oh well :)

Francisco

Thanked by 1Foul
  • FoulFoul Member
    edited July 2018

Francisco said: Oh well :)

Gotta keep the pony chugging along somehow. :)

I feel like you should edit your thread @corbpie since buyshared didn't have a raid failure.. just a cpanel to cpanel migration.

• @Foul said:

Francisco said: Oh well :)

Gotta keep the pony chugging along somehow. :)

I feel like you should edit your thread @corbpie since buyshared didn't have a raid failure.. just a cpanel to cpanel migration.

I can no longer edit it.

@Hostlovin care to explain?

• HostlovinHostlovin Member, Host Rep

Hi, HostKoala has always been reselling BuyShared plans ( I've posted about it before @ LET )

When I realised the server was down, I got to know there was a migration going on so I decided to mass mail all users about the downtime, and it was a mistake to blame it on an SSD failure.

Thanks to Fran, every account is up now, and HostKoala offers 2 compensation packages for the downtime.

Package A : Extra 2 months of service that was affected by the downtime

Package B : Full refund for services under 2 months of service, or 50 % refund for others, and we will keep that account active for 7 days so you have time to get a backup and migrate elsewhere.

Just login @ our client area to choose a compensation package and it will be given within 48 hours.

Sorry for the confusion caused, please note to login via the IP address given for now until further notice.

• Hostlovin said: and it was a mistake to blame it on an SSD failure.

Very much so, Lying to customers is a shocking look for your "company". Very amateur indeed.

HostKoala didn't lie **about the migration. It came as an emergency situation and wanted to inform everyone as soon as possible and placed a **plausible cause for it while we waited for services to resume functioning as normal.

Everyone was provided with a temporary cPanel login & compensation package for the downtime.

If you had a service with us, I'll gladly refund you

There wasent many accounts that were down for longer than about an hour. Our script screwed up and knocked some out for longer but wasent that many.

Anyway, do let me know if there's anything you need help with or if anything didn't migrate properly. As mentioned we do have the old node still live just in case.

Francisco

Accounts were not down but sites were unaccesible for ~30 hours ( Can login via IP URL, unable to access the websites ).

Also, why is the IP Address in the picture allowed to be shown publically ?

• teamaccteamacc Member
    edited July 2018

How the fuck do you randomly pick "ssd raid failure" as a reason for downtime? Don't you investigate? Don't you read the mail of the provider you're reselling? Don't you open a ticket with your upstream when shit goes down?

What the fuck.

• corbpiecorbpie Member
    edited July 2018

@teamacc said:
    How the fuck do you randomly pick "ssd raid failure" as a reason for downtime? Don't you investigate? Don't you read the mail of the provider you're reselling? Don't you open a ticket with your upstream when shit goes down?

What the fuck.

Glad someone finally came in here and actually saw how bent this was.

@teamacc said:

What the fuck.

The reason is because I was 12 hours late once the downtime started, I needed something better than just " we are now upgrading our services, to another server, a migration to a new server ". It was a mistake I know.

I've seen providers doing worst, and in the end their threads disappear or get EDITED to I got refunded etc etc and their names cleared.

Also, when I was on, Fran wasn't on ( At least, what I got from discord was Fran wasn't going to be awake in 4 hours or so )

I don't see the problem besides my reasoning for the downtime was poor. I provided a suitable compensation to everyone affected and I get a huge thread which says I lied ( Yes I did I admit that ), an IP exposed ( Although its BuyShared/Frans ).

Anyhow I'm done with LET and I'm sure Corbpie will have more shit to say on me and this thread will stay here forever, so have fun

• Hostlovin said: I'm sure Corbpie will have more shit to say on me

Nup, Just wanted to get to the bottom of this SSD RAID failure.

• williewillie Member

Edited title per @corbpie

• @willie said:
    Edited title per @corbpie

Wasnt needed (again). Not every single thread on LET needs you to come in and edit because you have the "mod rights".

• williewillie Member
    edited July 2018

I thought you wanted it edited, per this comment:

corbpie said:

I can no longer edit it.

I will change it back. Sorry about the confusion.

• PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep

corbpie said: Wasnt needed (again). Not every single thread on LET needs you to come in and edit because you have the "mod rights".

Do you have to be a dick about it? Nope it was a simple mistake. Stop being butt hurt.

Thanked by 1maverickp
  • perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

willie said: I will change it back. Sorry about the confusion.

Damn, you are a good mod, I would've just banned the guy :P