Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The polar opposite of Hostrail
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

The polar opposite of Hostrail

AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
edited February 2012 in General

I spotted an advert on WHT, and for some reason I thought of hostrail, then I saw the prices... this could not be further from hostrail... http://www.netshop-isp.com.cy/v3/vps-hosting/cyprus-vps-hosting.html

I would like to assume that the prices are an error, this is the sort of thing that will give the hard core LEB'ers a nightmare!

Not trying to make fun of other hosts but.... seriously !

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

The servers are actually in Cyprus so i'm not surprised on the cost :)

Getting fiber to islands is always a pain in the ass and very costly. On Vancouver Island you can't get a 100mbit unmetered line unless you drop thousands a month.

Francisco

• I guess that's what you pay for servers hosted in Cyprus? Truly "offshore," ha...

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Now you say it and my brain has kicked in.. Yeah I did some defence work years ago for a DC roll out in Cyprus which involved getting a 20mbit pipe in to the DC and that was no fun.... no fun at all.

• Why is it so expensive to get fibers to islands? Isn't it the same as intercontinentalcables between e.g. Europe and the USA?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

They do multi terabit links between continents where as to an island they may have a 10gig or two.

To Vancouver Island, where I live, there is 30Gbit to the whole south island and we're only 30 miles from Vancouver.

Francisco

• Go59954Go59954 Member
    edited February 2012

I thought it's an absolute/general polar opposite, and not price polar opposite, would have been a 100% (perfect) success in web hosting if it was the first :)

• Welcome to Australia!