Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1 GBit/s means 1000mbps or 125mbps?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

1 GBit/s means 1000mbps or 125mbps?

rEDrED Member

Hi,

Long time no see :p

So I was browsing this sweet deal here
https://www.hetzner.com/dedicated-rootserver/ex51-ssd

And it says:

Connection: 1 GBit/s-Port
Guaranteed bandwidth: 1 GBit/s

I am wondering if the bandwidth speed is 1gbps or 10x less??

I am confused by the "Gbit/s" and "gbps"

Comments

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor
    edited July 2018

It's 1 Gigabit per second = 1GBit/s = 1Gbps = 125MBps = 1000Mbps

Certainly not 1 Gigabyte per second.

Little 'b' is bit, big 'B' is byte. But in hetzner's case since 'Bit' is written out it's kinda self explanatory.

Thanked by 4Aidan rED ehhthing netomx
  • ExonHostExonHost Member, Host Rep

It's 1000Mbps.

Thanked by 1rED
  • rEDrED Member

Thanks guys... guessed it was too good to be true :p

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited July 2018

Maybe helpful because it's easy to remember: in networking you need 8 b (small 'b', "Bit") for a B (large 'B', "Byte").

But that's theory. Gb/s tells about line speed. What you are interested in however is PAYLOAD which is roughly line speed div 8 minus protocol overhead (headers, etc) minus the fact that networks in the real world are rarely perfect.

So the practical rule of thumb is more like dividing Gb/s (line speed) by 10 to get the number of bytes (payload) that you can actually transfer in real world networks.

Having a 1 Gb/s = 1000 Mb/s line you would typically be able to transfer 1000/10 = 100 MB of payload per second (and even 90 MB/s would be within the normal range to expect).

Thanked by 2vimalware Jun
  • AidanAidan Member
    edited July 2018

1 GBit/s= 1 gbps

1 gbps = 0.000909495 Tibit/s

• HarzemHarzem Member

@rED said:

No it's not. 1 Gbps is 1000 Mbps. Nothing tricky. It's a gigabit port.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Always lowercase for the prefix... k, m, g, t, etc.

and then...

• b = bit
    • B= byte

8 bits = 1 byte.

"bit" is typically used when describing transfer, e.g. 10 mbps (10 megabits per second).

while "byte" is used when referencing data storage, e.g. 10 mB (10 megabyte).

At least that's what I was taught :)

• Inconsistent use of lowercase and uppercase prefixes on that page :)

• qtwrkqtwrk Member
    edited July 2018

@sleddog said:
    Always lowercase for the prefix... k, m, g, t, etc.

and then...

• b = bit
    • B= byte

8 bits = 1 byte.

"bit" is typically used when describing transfer, e.g. 10 mbps (10 megabits per second).

while "byte" is used when referencing data storage, e.g. 10 mB (10 megabyte).

At least that's what I was taught :)

I just saw Chrome downloading page is like 10 MB/s

from what i saw , mostly people uses mbps for bandwidth, network speed , as your description , but people also commonly uses XX KB/s or MB/s to express downloading/uploading speed.

• qtwrk said: I just saw Chrome downloading page is like 10 MB/s

from what i saw , mostly people uses mbps for bandwidth, network speed , as your description , but people also commonly uses XX KB/s or MB/s to express downloading/uploading speed.

I think this is Chrome (or downloaders in general) trying to make it intelligible for the average user. You're downloading a 100 MB file, so they show MB per second so you don't have to multiply by 8 to understand. Though it should be mB :)

• quickquick Member
    edited July 2018

0,001 Terabit/s

• @quick said:
    0,001 Terabit/s

You mean terabits/s right :)

• I guess it's time to review my ancient teaching on metric system abbreviations.

http://www.us-metric.org/si-prefixes-and-their-etymologies/

• k = kilo
    • M = mega
    • G = giga
    • T = tera

So not all lowercase. I apologize for the confusion.

• quickquick Member

@sleddog said:

@quick said:
    0,001 Terabit/s

You mean terabits/s right :)

No.

Thanked by 2Aidan Adam1
  • JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited July 2018

@rED said:

Don't burn the server down, 1Gbps is good.

1Byte = 8bits, capitalization matters.

• Adam1Adam1 Member

@sleddog said:

Inconsistent use of lowercase and uppercase prefixes on that page :)

Where, looks pretty consistent to me, correct SI units

• I've noticed that usually a hardware speed is almost always by bits while a software based speed is mostly by bytes.

Eg, a file downloads (by software) at 4 MB/s, the hard drive writes at 90 MB/s.

A NIC (hardware) runs at 10Gbe port speed, a PCIe 2.0 x1 link runs at 5Gbps, etc.

My guess of the cause is the overhead between software speed vs hardware speed. Considering TCP/IP protocol, 1Gbe can barely handle 115MB/s due to the overhead. PCIe 2.0 uses 8b/10b encoding so that 5Gbps results in a 500MB/s actual data link.

• quick said: No.

Adam1 said: Where, looks pretty consistent to me, correct SI units

Yup, I was wrong, as I said. Mea culpa :(

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited July 2018

words of the day. standards. convention. MasonR's original post covers the often encountered confusion, the 2nd post in the thread.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

rED said: guessed it was too good to be true

????

@netomx said:

rED said: guessed it was too good to be true

????

I guess he meant that "1GBit/s" (note the large 'B') might mean he's getting a 1 GB/s port rather than a 1 Gb/s one.

Strange anyway because Hetzner did use the capital 'B' but they clearly spoke about
    "GBit/s" so there should not be a misunderstanding what they mean.

• jiggawattjiggawatt Member
    edited July 2018

jsg said: Strange anyway because Hetzner did use the capital 'B' but they clearly spoke about "GBit/s" so there should not be a misunderstanding what they mean.

There's also no such thing as a 1 GB/s (as in gigabyte) port... common sense aids understanding as well.

Thanked by 1Aidan

@jiggawattz said:

jsg said: Strange anyway because Hetzner did use the capital 'B' but they clearly spoke about "GBit/s" so there should not be a misunderstanding what they mean.

There's also no such thing as a 1 GB/s (as in gigabyte) port... common sense aids understanding as well.

Absolutely correct. But then, how much would you bet on all customers of [insert any provider] to actually have common sense?