Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Online.net overnight price increase (new customers/orders only)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Online.net overnight price increase (new customers/orders only)

ZomZom Member
edited July 2018 in Providers

Hi everyone.

Just noticed that online have silently bumped prices up on their pro and core range, in some cases quite significantly.

https://www.online.net/en/dedicated-server

Cached version with old price

At that price it's not really worth it since they use consumer desktop grade SSDs and HDDs which I've tested to be unsuitable for anything IO sensitive.

Hopefully it will stay the same price for existing customers, I'll be checking my invoice at the end of this month.

-Zom

Comments

• deankdeank Member, Troll

The end is nigh.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

1 Day before you can kill the dedi, pretty shady from online.net.

Since you need to kill it before the 20th, but I am sure its ilegal, to rise the price and make them force to pay.

Thanked by 1dgprasetya
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

it's called inflation or accounting spotted that company without any profit!

• Oh... they don't increase Start-3-L.

@WebProject said:
    it's called inflation or accounting spotted that company without any profit!

........... you do not get the point.

They require from you, that you mark the dedicated as terminated before the 20th of the month, otherwise they will bill you.

They left you 1 Day of notice, that is just shady.

Thanked by 2rm_ dgprasetya
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

Neoon said: They left you 1 Day of notice, that is just shady.

Normally such companies do notify about price rise via email. on some occasions the company reserve the rights to increase prices at any time as you are on monthly contract therefore everything is legal, unless you have signed for 12/24/36 months contract.

@WebProject said:

Normally such companies do notify about price rise via email. on some occasions the company reserve the rights to increase prices at any time as you are on monthly contract therefore everything is legal, unless you have signed for 12/24/36 months contract.

Normally, they inform you, at least weeks, or months, before they do anything.

Take a look at OVH, they informed everyone, months ago, before they even applied it.

Even then, you had another grace period even when you missed that.

That what online.net just pulled, is a shit move.

Thanked by 1dgprasetya
  • williewillie Member

They raised their prices a month or so ago too, pitching it as a "refresh" of their product line. The refresh was new model numbers and higher prices for the same products. I can understand if costs are going up industry-wide, but Hetzner and OVH have been lowering prices rather than raising them, so I have to wonder what's happening with Online.

Thanked by 1openos
    edited July 2018

@willie said:
    They raised their prices a month or so ago too, pitching it as a "refresh" of their product line. The refresh was new model numbers and higher prices for the same products. I can understand if costs are going up industry-wide, but Hetzner and OVH have been lowering prices rather than raising them, so I have to wonder what's happening with Online.

Yea, they added a "donate" function to the tickets, so you can donate money to the guy who took care about your ticket. Apparently these people get a shitty payment.

Now they increased the prices as you said, now they did it again.

I guess, low wages, high prices, maximum profit?

• Did they remove setup fees for the https://www.online.net/en/server-dedicated/store-1-s ? i remember it having a setup fee of 40 bucks.

• williewillie Member

Sometimes a budget provider tries to lift itself to a more premium tier by introducing more upscale products, e.g. OVH Private Cloud. Maybe Online has figured out a simpler approach of just raising prices on the same old stuff.

What is the story with Online anyway? Is their network exceptionally good? I'm happy with the servers I have with them but I'm a fairly low requirement user. But I see enough technical fiascos from them (anyone remember SIS, the Scaleway object store?) that I think they should work on getting the basics figured out before trying to go "premium".

• @mosan7763 said:
    Did they remove setup fees for the https://www.online.net/en/server-dedicated/store-1-s ? i remember it having a setup fee of 40 bucks.

Seems like a bug:

• mosan7763mosan7763 Member
    edited July 2018

@mtsbatalha said:

@mosan7763 said:
    Did they remove setup fees for the https://www.online.net/en/server-dedicated/store-1-s ? i remember it having a setup fee of 40 bucks.

Seems like a bug:

damn. thought about moving back to online.net. not happening with the high setup fees though. they almost had me.

@willie said:
    What is the story with Online anyway? Is their network exceptionally good? I'm happy with the servers I have with them but I'm a fairly low requirement user. But I see enough technical fiascos from them (anyone remember SIS, the Scaleway object store?) that I think they should work on getting the basics figured out before trying to go "premium".

That's the thing, the network from online.net is worse then for example ovh in france, they also started to route cheap servers, over cheaper routes, adding more latency.
    Same for AntiDDOS, if get big ddos attacks and you not going to pay for more, they ask you to leave.

OVH, does not kick you off because of a big AntiDDOS, they make that solidary, as I am aware even cheap servers, get good routes.

But they reserve themselves at kimsufi for example to throttle you if you abuse it 24/7, same for SYS, you get 1Gbit ports, if you abuse it, you get throttled down to 250Mbit.

Also, the support is not really good, but that's the same for OVH.

Also the IP's costs 1.99 + VAT, pretty expensive.

Thanked by 1dgprasetya
  • williewillie Member
    edited July 2018

Online used to have a feature where you could pay extra for higher traffic and maybe better network, but they seem to have gotten rid of that. Do you have to buy a more expensive server for it now? Is it known how far up the product line you have to go to get it? Online's support has been good in my experience but that's just me.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Neoon said: ........... you do not get the point.

They require from you, that you mark the dedicated as terminated before the 20th of the month, otherwise they will bill you.

They left you 1 Day of notice, that is just shady.

yeah that sucks, but contract law is pretty simple in that regard if a company significantly changes the terms, e.g. price (any price increase) a customer is not obliged to accept this and can break the contract without penalty, fairly standard in the EU.

But no one has said that they are raising prices for existing customers yet?

• But no one has said that they are raising prices for existing customers yet?

When the previous price increase (and offer renaming) happened, my old server with them has kept the same price.

• Neoon said: Normally, they inform you, at least weeks, or months, before they do anything.

Take a look at OVH, they informed everyone, months ago, before they even applied it.

Even then, you had another grace period even when you missed that.

That what online.net just pulled, is a shit move.

I remember a certain other provider cough Incero cough that decided they would pull the same bullshit and raise prices without notification and did. Not saying its right, just saying you would be surprised the size of the balls on some of these DC owners and what they will do to make money. It is 100% a shit move though, just isn't illegal.

Cheers!

• deankdeank Member, Troll

So, in a nutshell.

1. Price increase without notification: Complaint
    2. Price increase with a notification a day before: Complaint
    3. Price increase with a month forewarning: Complaint
    Thanked by 1vovler
  • joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@WebProject said:

Not that simple. There's quite a lot of limitations in eg. the Netherlands on what you can do with subscriptions, even month-to-month ones. I wouldn't be surprised if the same were true in France.

@deank said:
    So, in a nutshell.

1. Price increase without notification: Complaint
    2. Price increase with a notification a day before: Complaint
    3. Price increase with a month forewarning: Complaint

They always complain, but if you give them enough time and spam the mailbox like kimsufi when a dedicated server expires.
    The percentage is quite less.

Thanked by 1WebProject
  • Looks like its the end of cheap online.net servers...

• It looks like the monthly price has increased, but they got rid of the setup fees on those products.

It makes sense if they want to sell this server line to enterprise customers, which have been de-sensitized to stupidly high monthly prices by the likes of AWS and Azure. Hobbyist customers, in Online.net's view, are more likely to "hit and run" with servers, thus the setup fees on the Start line.

• @AnthonySmith said:

No servers price raising yet for any existing customer (and never happened since 13 years i work there)
    In all case, there is 1-2 month prior notification, despite we have an non-engagement contract (it's a monthly subscription).
    We will introduce a lot of new sexy offers soon, stay turned, you will love them :-)

Thanked by 2AnthonySmith willie
  • athanathan Member
    edited July 2018

@abermingham said:
    We will introduce a lot of new sexy offers soon, stay turned, you will love them :-)

Last time I heard this was two months ago in their slack chat room.
    A week later Online renamed their old offers doubling price...

Sexy surprise indeed! :o)

• Shot2Shot2 Member

"sexy ... stay turned ... love" = buttseqs?

• @abermingham said:

@AnthonySmith said:

No servers price raising yet for any existing customer (and never happened since 13 years i work there)

This is the key difference compared to the Texas company.

• just noticed that they decreased the bandwidth on the STORE-1-S. From 500mbits to 150mbit. holy.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Bandwidth is not free.