Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VSphere client v5 unable to console to VM
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VSphere client v5 unable to console to VM

zafouharzafouhar Veteran
edited July 2018 in General

Hello,

Has anyone found a solution to the issue with Vsphere client v5 installed on a computer with Windows 10 - when trying to open the console I always get an error "the vmrc console has disconnected... attempting to reconnect" ?

VM has Centos v6.

Comments

• Are you getting anything related to MKS error? Is the VM powered up?

• One workaround is to use VM Workstation instead if all you want to do is to connect to the VM console.

• @birchbeer said:
    One workaround is to use VM Workstation instead if all you want to do is to connect to the VM console.

Yes I need to connect to the VM console to see why a VM's network is down, will the VM workstation allow me to do that?

The VM is powered on per vSphere Client.

FYI I get the same error on the console of all VMS's, even the ones that work fine.

• VM Workstation will connect to the ESX host in the similar manner as the VSphere client. And you can access the VM consoles that way. If all VMs are down, are you sure the hypervisor and host are running?

• @birchbeer said:
    VM Workstation will connect to the ESX host in the similar manner as the VSphere client. And you can access the VM consoles that way. If all VMs are down, are you sure the hypervisor and host are running?

There are two VMs on the node, one is down (even though vsphere is reporting as up) and the other VMS is up (I can connect to it normally) so the node looks to be running fine.

I will try the VM workstation now, thanks!

• @birchbeer said:
    VM Workstation will connect to the ESX host in the similar manner as the VSphere client. And you can access the VM consoles that way. If all VMs are down, are you sure the hypervisor and host are running?

Looks like with the VM workstation I just get this error "unable to connect to the mks login (username/password) incorrect" - this is after I already connect fine to the ESXI host, I double click on the VM and get that error after some moments,

• Can you provide more details?

Esxi version and build number, esxi 5 have 3 major version 5.0,5.1&5.5

Vsphere client version and build number

You said you got 2 VM, is the console problem in all VM or only spesific VM?

Did you got the error when open console from console table or from open console in new window or both?

Before this error, have you successfully open console to that vm?

• @hardgamers said:
    Can you provide more details?

Esxi version and build number, esxi 5 have 3 major version 5.0,5.1&5.5

Vsphere client version and build number

You said you got 2 VM, is the console problem in all VM or only spesific VM?

Did you got the error when open console from console table or from open console in new window or both?

Before this error, have you successfully open console to that vm?

Esxi version is v5.0.0 768111
    Vsphere version is v5.0.0 623373

Console problem is on both VMs and I get the error both when open console from table and new window and from the console tab so I get the error "the vmrc console has disconnected... attempting to reconnect" no matter what I do.

I never needed to connect to the console again so I never tried doing this, the only reason I want to open the console is to troubleshoot why one VM is not responding. (the issue started after i mistakenly power rebooted the Esxi node, one of the VMs never came back online after that however vsphere does report it as online).

Is there maybe some log I can check aswell? I checked the log files under /vmfs/volumes and particularly the vmware.log in the VM that is not responding but I can't see any issue being indicated.

• If you rebooted the ESX host and the VM is not configured to boot automatically, the VM will not start. Can you ssh to the ESX host? Hopefully, I'm not stating the obvious, but when you connect to the ESX host using either VM Workstation or vSphere, do you have the correct credentials? The credentials should be for the ESX host and not the VMs.

• Since windows 8 there is some trouble with vmrc .. try this :

1. Make sure you can connect to port 902 tcp on your esxi host ( try telnet).

2. Download latest vsphere client for 5.0 , http://vsphereclient.vmware.com/vsphereclient/1/3/0/0/6/0/0/VMware-viclient-all-5.0.0-1300600.exe , if you still got a problem try running as administrator and compatibility mode Windows XP or windows 7

3. If possible update your esxi host, your build number is for esxi 5.0 patch 3 and latest in 5.0 is patch 13 with build number 3982828. Even better if you can upgrade to 5.1 or 5.5, but check VMware hardware compatibility before upgrade. If you have license key for 5.0 it still work for 5.5

• @hardgamers said:
    Since windows 8 there is some trouble with vmrc .. try this :

1. Make sure you can connect to port 902 tcp on your esxi host ( try telnet).

2. Download latest vsphere client for 5.0 , http://vsphereclient.vmware.com/vsphereclient/1/3/0/0/6/0/0/VMware-viclient-all-5.0.0-1300600.exe , if you still got a problem try running as administrator and compatibility mode Windows XP or windows 7

3. If possible update your esxi host, your build number is for esxi 5.0 patch 3 and latest in 5.0 is patch 13 with build number 3982828. Even better if you can upgrade to 5.1 or 5.5, but check VMware hardware compatibility before upgrade. If you have license key for 5.0 it still work for 5.5

Thanks, this worked perfectly and I have console access