Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OpenVZ on Xen VPS with single ip
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OpenVZ on Xen VPS with single ip

I want to install OpenVZ as a test on a Xen cloud VPS from Rackspace. The problem is, I get only 1 address both of ipv6 and and ipv4, and I don't know how to get that setup working, since I am practically the biggest noob here when it comes to setting up a virtualization node.
I was first trying to get this up and running on KVM due to the far better performance, but due to the lack of economical plans for the same, I am trying to do this from a Xen server now.
I want to access this server from the internet, not just a private network, so I do need to have something assigned to it. I am fine with assigning just a port range though. So any ideas how I could go about doing this? Any help would be colossally appreciated.

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited October 2013

I've never done this, but I assume you would assign the OpenVZ a private IP on a virtual interface and run NAT to the ports you want the OpenVZ VPS to serve on the public facing IP. I mean I've done it with LXC but never with OpenVZ, and never under Xen.

• Did that already, but it sucks that I can't even ping the outside world, and I have to connect to my Xen VPS via VNC just to use the terminal in there to ssh to the VPSes. (Yes, I'm too much of a noob to setup a VPN, especially after OpenVPN removed easy-rsa from the default library). I do have a /64 lying around, any ideas on how I could use some addresses from there instead?

Actually yeah you could add a good old IPv6 tunnel and dedicate those addresses. My assumption is that Xen wouldn't hold you back any on that route. A few config options to make sure you don't forget, if you're like me and always forget the simplest thing.

http://openvz.org/IPv6

• @jarland said:
    Actually yeah you could add a good old IPv6 tunnel and dedicate those addresses. My assumption is that Xen wouldn't hold you back any on that route. A few config options to make sure you don't forget, if you're like me and always forget the simplest thing.

http://openvz.org/IPv6

Thanks, that is some really useful information. Any ideas on how to tunnel addresses from another VPS? In a different continent altogether?

edited October 2013

@dhamaniasad said:
    Thanks, that is some really useful information. Any ideas on how to tunnel addresses from another VPS? In a different continent altogether?

I think a GRE tunnel would be about as effective as anything. BuyVM has a guide that is usually used for their DDOS protected IPs, but it's pretty much just picking your ports. Let me know if you have any luck, a little interested now.

http://wiki.frantech.ca/doku.php/gre_tunnel

• It works for me currently with ipv4 added via a local interface(natively). Trying out ipv6 soon.