Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please recommend a lag-free RDP
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Please recommend a lag-free RDP

Is there a provider that offers 3d accelerated windows VPS for RDP? I tried 2 providers so far and each has been very laggy when using photoshop/normal browsing.

I need a solution which will allow me to work and stream youtube stutter and lag-free.

I am aware of liquidsky but too pricey.

Please make your offers or recommendations, thank you!

Comments

• williewillie Member

I think this is lol territory because of the bandwidth needed. How fast is your home internet anyway?

• @willie said:
    I think this is lol territory because of the bandwidth needed. How fast is your home internet anyway?

it's not related to b/w but latency. I have gigabit internet.

• williewillie Member
    edited July 2018

This sounds pretty horrendous no matter what, but you could give paperspace (west coast) a try. This url (my referral code) gives you $5 credit which should cover some hours depending on model (they have high end gpus available if you're willing to spend enough):

https://www.paperspace.com/&R=RNERHBX

I use them for some machine learning stuff but haven't tried their VDI products.

• @willie said:
    This sounds pretty horrendous no matter what, but you could give paperspace (west coast) a try. This url (my referral code) gives you $5 credit which should cover some hours depending on model (they have high end gpus available if you're willing to spend enough):

I use them for some machine learning stuff but haven't tried their VDI products.

Thanks. Could you screenshot their prices, because last I checked they dont publish prices on there.

• williewillie Member

Prices are here (scroll down to the non-dedicated GPU ones): https://www.paperspace.com/pricing

Pretty expensive by LET standards I guess. Monthly discount is substantial.

• Honestly, it really isn't that expensive when you factor in the beefy GPUs.

• @willie said:

Registred but you'll need a CC to create a VPS

• williewillie Member

Timtimo13 said: Registred but you'll need a CC to create a VPS

Yes, that is pretty standard: DO, Vultr and maybe others do the same thing.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

Well shit, I didn't think I'd see the day where somebody would ask for RDPs for a seemingly legitimate reason. Wonders never cease.

Thanked by 3ElliotJ netomx lazyt
  • graphicgraphic Member
    edited July 2018

Maybe get your own dedi with Intel Core / Xeon E3 processor with integrated graphics?

• williewillie Member

joepie91 said: RDPs for a seemingly legitimate reason

I actually don't understand the supposed reason, or what the illegitimate uses of RDP's are, but whatever. I've occasionally wanted an RDP for the purpose of briefly running a Windows program but have always managed to find an alternative. Watching youtube on it or using it all day long just seems silly.

• @willie said:

joepie91 said: RDPs for a seemingly legitimate reason

I actually don't understand the supposed reason, or what the illegitimate uses of RDP's are, but whatever. I've occasionally wanted an RDP for the purpose of briefly running a Windows program but have always managed to find an alternative. Watching youtube on it or using it all day long just seems silly.

I sometimes browse from a terminal server, usually if the local machine is a low powered netbook type thing or I'm not using my own machine.

Sometimes it's nothing more than I want to leave something running and come back to it later from another location/machine.

• hzrhzr Member
    edited July 2018

willie said: I actually don't understand the supposed reason, or what the illegitimate uses of RDP's are

Uneducated people trying to do things like credit card fraud, filling out those surveys for pennies sites (fraud too here), fast torrenting, winrar extract, and reupload to "EARN $1 PER DOWNLOAD" for warez, etc.

They don't know or don't want to learn how to do this faster on CLI or with a VPN or something, they just want to be able to "open chrome and have good ip in usa great for upload!!"

Thanked by 2joepie91 coreflux
  • I was always under the impression that to deal solve this problem, you have to make sure that your RDP server and client supports RemoteFX and not necessarily 3D acceleration.

• @birchbeer said:
    I was always under the impression that to deal solve this problem, you have to make sure that your RDP server and client supports RemoteFX and not necessarily 3D acceleration.

is that so? do you know any providers that support remotefx? Thanks

• saibalsaibal Member

Why do you need 3D accelerated RDP? Any server within the last few years is perfectly capable of sustaining a responsive RDP interface even with crappy iGPUs. If you have enough bandwidth you shouldn't notice any substantial lag. Are you trying to play games over RDP?

• @gunner05 said:
    Is there a provider that offers 3d accelerated windows VPS for RDP? I tried 2 providers so far and each has been very laggy when using photoshop/normal browsing.

I believe its not about latency and ping time but do not forget that you must check it out to make sure. but if that doesn't work check the bandwidth limitation.
    hope you find the problem

• gunner05gunner05 Member
    edited July 2018

@saibal said:
    Why do you need 3D accelerated RDP? Any server within the last few years is perfectly capable of sustaining a responsive RDP interface even with crappy iGPUs. If you have enough bandwidth you shouldn't notice any substantial lag. Are you trying to play games over RDP?

Running some graphic intensive industry apps. Need a way for a team to be able to login and collaborate. I tried a couple RDPs and they all lagged when powering up photoshop for instance or watching a tutorial on youtube. i want something smoother and trying to do it on the cheap. otherwise i know i can go for paperspace.

• @mahdavi said:

@gunner05 said:

I believe its not about latency and ping time but do not forget that you must check it out to make sure. but if that doesn't work check the bandwidth limitation.
    hope you find the problem

Latency and ping time are the same thing...?

• ariq01ariq01 Member

using photoshop/normal browsing on RDP? why not local ?

• stefemanstefeman Member
    edited July 2018

Buy dedicated server and install proxmox on it and windows under proxmox. Should be very fast. At least much faster than generic oversold RDPs made for warez. I play civ 5 with mine on windowed mode on a low powered notebook.

• feezioxiiifeezioxiii Member, Host Rep

You surely need to get a GPU dedicated server an install Windows there if your usage is for graphic editing, ... and look for the location that's closest to you ;)

but ... they won't come cheap

• @stefeman said:
    Buy dedicated server and install proxmox on it and windows under proxmox. Should be very fast. At least much faster than generic oversold RDPs made for warez. I play civ 5 with mine on windowed mode on a low powered notebook.

Does it work. I used to try that when I was working for a corporate. I still play the game but never tried the RDP thing again.

• @gunner05 said:

@birchbeer said:
    I was always under the impression that to deal solve this problem, you have to make sure that your RDP server and client supports RemoteFX and not necessarily 3D acceleration.

is that so? do you know any providers that support remotefx? Thanks

I probably should have asked what version of Windows you are using for the host. RemoteFX is only supported by newer RDP protocol versions. So you need to be using a client and server version that's relatively recent.

You mentioned that a team is doing this so I am presuming that you are trying to do some type of VDI solution like with a virtual desktop pool.

You may want to check that RemoteFX is enabled first. Are you familiar with using the Local Group Policy Editor in Windows? If you start it on the Windows host (not client), navigate to "Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Remote Desktop Services\Remote Desktop Session Host\Remote Session Environment", Make sure that the "Configure RemoteFX" key is set to enable. You could also set the "Optimize visual experience" settings.

These settings will allow to host to negotiate RemoteFX to optimize the network connections in the RDC sessions when using RDP.

There's a slightly older verification method on the client but it should still work - the steps are here - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2008-R2-and-2008/ff817580(v%3dws.10)

• williewillie Member
    edited July 2018

I can understand about collaboration and Photoshop, but why watch youtube over RDP? Anyway that shouldn't need acceleration.

I have to say this thread is a bit of an eye opener for me. It never occurred to me that using an RDP like this could work at all.

Suggestion to @gunner05: try spinning up a nearby instance of the best thing you can find (Paperspace, Azure, or whatever) and try it out for a few minutes (even an expensive instance won't cost much to just try out). By "best" I mean pick something where you can't get anything faster no matter how much you spend. It won't surprise me if it's still too laggy for your intended usage. If it's not, then start looking at decreasing costs. If it is, better rethink the whole idea.

• @willie if you have a crap laptop at home it totally makes sense you would want to stream things or do light gaming. I already tried paperspace, it's fast and no lag even for light gaming. But it doesnt make sense for someone working 10 hours a day. Might make sense for occasional use but not daily work.

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@willie said:
    I can understand about collaboration and Photoshop, but why watch youtube over RDP? Anyway that shouldn't need acceleration.

I have to say this thread is a bit of an eye opener for me. It never occurred to me that using an RDP like this could work at all.

>
    >

Remote desktops / RDP / VDI does work for fully valid reasons, a lot of company’s will use it for desktops so they can centrally manage desktops etc

I use RDP every day, my main work station is a server running windows that i use for all my day, rather than working locally, easier for a lot of things.

Alexander

• quickquick Member

Need a rdp for some paint works

• williewillie Member

AlexanderM said: Remote desktops / RDP / VDI does work for fully valid reasons, a lot of company’s will use it for desktops so they can centrally manage desktops etc

Cool, I understand why people would want it, I'm just surprised that it works at all, replacing a super high bandwidth 4 foot long video cable with the internet and all its lags and bottlenecks. If it works though, great.