Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is NVMe more superior than SSD to you?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is NVMe more superior than SSD to you?

PowerNodePowerNode Member
edited July 2018 in General

Hello, I hope everyone is well.

Personally I like all my servers to run NVMe as the cost is almost identical to older SSD hardware.

The question is, would it influence the average Joe with their decision on choosing an NVMe or SSD provider for VPS?

Best Regards,
Iain

What's your preference?
  1. What disk?118 votes
    1. NVMe
      59.32%
    2. SSD
      28.81%
    3. Standard HDD
      11.86%

Comments

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

NVMe all the way!

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • LeviLevi Member

No matter what disk hdd, ssd, nvme. If you run dedicated server than yes, if you are on vps - you will not sense any difference except price

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Always NVMe. Performance different is huge and Customers like performance.

Thanked by 3ehab coreflux netomx
  • Since when was the cost for an old SATA SSD identical/close to the cost of a NVMe drive? Lol

• vovlervovler Member

@doghouch said:
    Since when was the cost for an old SATA SSD identical/close to the cost of a NVMe drive? Lol

At this time, a decent NVMe is about 2x as expensive as an SSD with the same capacity. Considering that NVMe's perform much better than SSDs it may be a good investment to some people. On personal desktops, I don't think it's worth it, as there are many real life benchmarks showing that it doesn't have many benefits. But for VPS/Shared servers it may be worth it.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

For benchmark junkies, NVMe all the way.

For everyone else, whatever works within their budget.

Thanked by 2default lonea
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

My personal approach is: a relatively small NVMe for the OS and programms and hot data, and cheap raided spindles for the rest.

Reason: very few really have hundreds of GB or even TBs of hot data, say a database. So why waste money on having /usr/share/doc, backups, rarely used ("cold") data, and whatnot being insanely fast?

That said for a cheap VPS I don't care at all.

Thanked by 1iss_sales1
  • If my shared/VPS provider is offering NVMe with better I/O than SSD at same price of SSD then only I'll go for NVMe, or else SSDs are good for VPS/shared sites.

• camargcamarg Member

I have one m.2 nvme and one m.2 sata on my laptop. Both of them good models. The performance difference in not only noticable, it is huge. NVMe all the way.

• Adam1Adam1 Member
    edited July 2018

camarg said: The performance difference in not only noticable, it is huge.

In benchmarks my XPS 13 is much faster than any SATA SSD at 2.4GB/s read 1.7GB/s write, but in real world usage there is no difference unless reading/writing large files, which for me is never and even so, the difference is only a few seconds even then.

Thanked by 1lonea
  • NVMe at a similar or the same cost as SSD is a no-brainer. I would expect a lot of customers would actually pay ~10% uplift to use NVMe over SSD.

• HBAndreiHBAndrei Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Most definitely NVMe. The performance is so much better, and you can actually feel the difference on heavy load servers.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

NVMe is very expensive. I think 300% extra price comparing to SSD.

• JarryJarry Member

Wrong question. NVMe is interface specification, SSD is type of storage.

Thanked by 2joepie91 netomx
  • SlushySlushy Member

Too little storage for NVMe. SSD should be the norm now.

• Standard HDD all day!!!!

• @JoeMerit said:
    Standard HDD all day!!!!

Specially for the storage servers.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I think when raid on cpu becomes more mature it would be a nonsense to run anything but NVMe (unless big storage is your goal) R10 NVMe can do some 8GB/s + all day

edited July 2018

Another attempt, short version: RAM. Get more RAM. That's almost always more relevant than NVMe vs SSD (or even vs. spindles).

Longer version: We are in a $7 max. community, so even if NVMes were just 10% more expensive than SSD OPs question wouldn't make a lot of sense. Last time I looked NVMe was about 150% to 250% the price of SSD ...

And then speed isn't the only and sometimes not even the most important factor. NVMes can for example (usually) not be plugin replaced from the outside which means that if one needs to be replaced downtime will be longer which for quite some use cases is a big NoGo.

Next, what are you actually doing? If the database behind your web server is 500 GB, say 10 GB of which are indexes then - as quite often - "get more RAM and get fast RAM" is almost certainly the most reasonable answer.

So, how many of you do have tens of TB of data which ALL must be as quickly available as possible? And before you answer think well about how your OS deals with disks and many other factors.

And btw if you happen to run anything based on a script language or multithreading or mysql - which probably is about 90+% of you - this whole thing is just absurd.

(Dear providers: Not only do I understand you but I even commend those of you who are publicly favouring NVMe due to its speed (minus high-reliability use cases) but as a customer my perspective is naturally different from yours. Plus I'm not stupid enough to seriously expect a newest gen. high end Xeon, 3 GHz DDR4 and NVMe for max. 7$/month).

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @doghouch said:
    Since when was the cost for an old SATA SSD identical/close to the cost of a NVMe drive? Lol

I think when you factor in SSD usually comes with raid 10 ( that means a minimum of 4 SSD) while NVMe are mostly offered without any redundancy. So, if NVMe cost 2x of SSD you still end up cheaper. That's my understanding. I could be wrong though :)

@DanSummer said:

@doghouch said:

I think when you factor in SSD usually comes with raid 10 ( that means a minimum of 4 SSD) while NVMe are mostly offered without any redundancy. So, if NVMe cost 2x of SSD you still end up cheaper. That's my understanding. I could be wrong though :)

No. You are badly mistaken. An NVMe IS a SSD; it's just usually faster (chips/controller) and more importantly it's linked differently (not SATA but typically via PCIe). Oh and at least in most system you can't have more than 2.

Neither "comes with Raid 10" and both can be put into a Raid. NVMe is more expensive because of the faster chips & controller, because the smaller form factor & because it's the big trend (and many people are very easy prey for marketing and will happily repeat the wisdom of the marketing people ...)

• @jsg said:

@DanSummer said:

@doghouch said:

No. You are badly mistaken. An NVMe IS a SSD; it's just usually faster (chips/controller) and more importantly it's linked differently (not SATA but typically via PCIe). Oh and at least in most system you can't have more than 2.

Neither "comes with Raid 10" and both can be put into a Raid. NVMe is more expensive because of the faster chips & controller, because the smaller form factor & because it's the big trend (and many people are very easy prey for marketing and will happily repeat the wisdom of the marketing people ...)

You missed the context of my post.
    Most LET host provide SSD with Raid 10.
    NVMe packages on the other hand usually doesn't come with that sort of redundancy when offered here.

• @jsg Was that meant for me? I stated that they were both SSDs, just one being SATA and the other being a NVMe drive.

@DanSummer said:
    NVMe packages on the other hand usually doesn't come with that sort of redundancy when offered here.

@DanSummer said:
    So, if NVMe cost 2x of SSD you still end up cheaper. That's my understanding. I could be wrong though :)

Because NVMe is more expensive.

@doghouch said:
    @jsg Was that meant for me? I stated that they were both SSDs, just one being SATA and the other being a NVMe drive.

No, not for you. You were right.

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

@DanSummer said:

I sincerely wish dat were tru.

Thanked by 2Aluminat doghouch

A propos Raid 10: The 0 in that 10 simply speaking just means speed (roughly doubling) and only the 1 means redundancy.

Considering that NVMe is typically about 4 (3 to 6) times faster than SSD one could calculate like this: 2 NVMe with Raid 1 cost about the same as 4 SSD with Raid 10 but still are much faster. Looking at it that way going NVMe might indeed be a reasonable solution for the kind of providers who formertimes offered SSD Raid 10 - same redundancy, same price, about double the speed.

The excption is high redundancy+high availability because to switch a broken NVMe one typically has to shut down the server and to open the case. But probably for cheap VPS that's acceptable.

On a dedi though I'd stick with SSD (just Raid 1) and add plenty RAM. More bang for the buck.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • defaultdefault Veteran

Could we store data on SSD, and use the whole NVMe as swap? Who needs RAM anyway?

• GulfGulf Member
    edited July 2018

@Clouvider said:

If you care about clients, you'd better look for issues in your network, than reading let and wht. It is addictive, but customers should not suffer from your addictions :)

• @Gulf said:

@Clouvider said:

If you care about clients, you'd better look for issues in your network, than reading let and wht. It is addictive, but customers should not suffer from your addictions :)

Which location? I haven't had any network issue on tele.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • GulfGulf Member
    edited July 2018

@jetchirag said:
    Which location? I haven't had any network issue on tele.

They've been blocking 2525 port (and probably others) for 12+ hours (used for sendgrid and other esp) :)
    Unable to send any email.

Anyway sorry for offtop, lets discuss nvme.

Thanked by 1jetchirag