Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

lifetime hosting deals :)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

lifetime hosting deals :)

saf31saf31 Member

Well, there are many providers offering decent web hosting for 5$-10$ yearly. Is there any decent lifetime hosting offer for 100$-120$ ? ?

Comments

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited July 2018

There is dragify lifetime at stacksocial for 50$. Specs are somewhat sustainable if we are talking company lifetime.

https://stacksocial.com/sales/dragify-website-hosting-website-builder-bundle-lifetime-subscription

Honestly speaking any deal from @cam @mikho will last longer. 50/2-3$/y is gonna give you 10+ years of @cam @mikho hosting. Who knows how long dragify is gonna stick around.

Thanked by 1saf31
  • No such thing and it shouldn't be. I would stick with a stable hosting provider, one that does not change plans on daily basis, then deposit money for the time i need, however as if I was using the next higher plan than i'm actually using. Either that, or tie a long lasting debit card with auto renewal and recurring payments to my hosting account. Nothing lasts forever.

Thanked by 1saf31
  • HBAndreiHBAndrei Member, Top Host, Host Rep

You should be cautious with "lifetime" anything. I haven't heard anything good about lifetime hosting, ever... only horror stories, as you might as well expect from an unrealistic business model.

Thanked by 1saf31
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited July 2018

@HBAndrei said:
    You should be cautious with "lifetime" anything. I haven't heard anything good about lifetime hosting, ever... only horror stories, as you might as well expect from an unrealistic business model.

I'm usually not too much against these types of offers as long as it's clear we are talking company lifetime. Do your research and decide for yourself if they are likely to stick around or not :P

Happy since 2 years with Ivacy VPN lifetime.

• The economics of lifetime deals simply don't add up.

The oldest server I had (up until this year) was about 5 years old, a rented one from OVH. IMO there's more chance of the provider having an epiphany and walking away than me getting 5+ years of a 'lifetime deal'.

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@ricardo said:
    The economics of lifetime deals simply don't add up.

The oldest server I had (up until this year) was about 5 years old, a rented one from OVH. IMO there's more chance of the provider having an epiphany and walking away than me getting 5+ years of a 'lifetime deal'.

True. I wouldn't sign up with lifetime hosting (no vps atleast). Was considering for a provider Ive been with since 3 years. Closed shop now^^ Glad I didn't

• HBAndreiHBAndrei Member, Top Host, Host Rep
    edited July 2018

Ympker said: as long as it's clear we are talking company lifetime

Very well said, company's lifetime could be anywhere from a few weeks to a few years, etc.

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@HBAndrei said:

Ympker said: as long as it's clear we are talking company lifetime

Very well said, company's lifetime could be anywhere from a few weeks to a few years, etc.

That's why I said do your research and judge these kinda deals individually :)

• pikepike Veteran

I got some free lifetime servers, providers forgot to delete them or reactivated and never noticed. Some of them even moved or got a new IP adress, still no one noticed.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@pike said:
    I got some free lifetime servers, providers forgot to delete them or reactivated and never noticed. Some of them even moved or got a new IP adress, still no one noticed.

And you didn’t tell them ?

• pikepike Veteran

@Clouvider No I don't.

• ehabehab Member

@pike said:

next monday you'll get a bill and what will you say?

• deankdeank Member, Troll

@ehab said:
    next monday you'll get a bill and what will you say?

@pike is a member of LET apocalypse cult. Therefore, he will say, "The end is nigh."

The only lifetime deal I know that somewhat works is marriage.

Thanked by 1pike

@pike said:
    @Clouvider No I don't.

Ugly. But technically since you're continuing to use them you may find yourself billed and later collected, which would be not only legally ok, but also morally ok, and even applauded ;p

• @Clouvider said:

@pike said:
    @Clouvider No I don't.

Ugly. But technically since you're continuing to use them you may find yourself billed and later collected, which would be not only legally ok, but also morally ok, and even applauded ;p

Its their problem for not noticing. I would cancel the paypal subscription too, so they cant bill me later.

• ehabehab Member

@Clouvider said:

whats worse if the server(s) gets hacked or used in wrongful way then its a mess... and for what $7/m ...

anyway, @pike time for a change and cleanup.

Thanked by 1Clouvider

@stefeman said:

@Clouvider said:

@pike said:
    @Clouvider No I don't.

Its their problem for not noticing. I would cancel the paypal subscription too, so they cant bill me later.

You live in an alternative reality.

• ehabehab Member

@stefeman said:

you think that solves everything! i don't think so.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • @Clouvider said:

@pike said:

And you didn’t tell them ?

@pike said:
    @Clouvider No I don't.

Good, let the communism flow through you, comrade @pike.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • lionlion Member

@Janevski said:
    Good, let the communism flow through you, comrade @pike.

So it's OUR server not HIS? Where is my access

Thanked by 1pike
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

name 3 hosting companies that have been in business for 50 years?

/thread

• pikepike Veteran

@Clouvider said:

The end is nigh.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

AnthonySmith said: name 3 hosting companies that have been in business for 50 years?

In a real sense, IBM. They hosted applications long before the Internet even existed. Think ASP (already an ancient 90s term) in the 1960s with dial-ups and mainframes.

But you have to go to those lengths to satisfy anything "lifetime".

Computers have barely been around for anyone's lifetime...unless you want to go Babbage we're talking 1940s. Networks have been around even less.

Still, if you're 18 and want to sign up that your $100 will still be powering service 70 years from now...

• kasslekassle Member

it's reasonable if lifetime is based on product lifecycle. so when the provider need to refresh their lines, they offer an upgrade.

just like in ram / memory card bussiness model

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

right oh then, drop IBM/Softlayer an email for a quote for a package on a 70 year cycle including upgrades, although I think you might find that you will reach the LET post buffer with the amount of 0's before you can answer.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited July 2018

@AnthonySmith said:
    right oh then, drop IBM/Softlayer an email for a quote for a package on a 70 year cycle including upgrades, although I think you might find that you will reach the LET post buffer with the amount of 0's before you can answer.

Tbh I don't think anyone expects these kinda deals last longer than 5-10 years (company/product lifetime). It's more of a gamble but if you go with a stable company that has been around for a while (example 1Fichier/Ivacy) chances are you get a good deal for x years. Even if it is only for 5 years it's usually worth it :)

But I agree it is a marketing scheme^^

• Ympker said: gamble

That's just it. The deal won't be taken if it's not cheap enough, and if the provider is any good/responsible at what they do - they're heading into the land of diminishing returns.

I'd rather pay yearly TBH.

• JohnMiller92JohnMiller92 Member
    edited July 2018

I love yearly deals. For example, I bought Gullo's hosting for a year, which it was $4.00. This little thing runs circles around my $7/yr , got almost double the cpu speed as well.

From a lifetime deal perspective, what happens when you need to upgrade your VPS if your project gets larger? Or maybe you underestimated certain specs? You'll still have to dish out more $ / mess around with billing stuff.

I guess it depends on the price point too (a lot of variables imo) -- For example, I'd have no issue buying 3 years of Gullo's yearly VPS at $4.00/yr, that's just amazing. However, if it's a $50/m dedicated box, I would want to do it per month, regardless of the host. Probably because of budget reasons, and what if the host releases a new plan with the same price with better specs?

Thanked by 1Cam