Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's your IT background ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What's your IT background ?

ricardoricardo Member
edited October 2013 in General

For me, I've been in web development since the late 90s, pretty much since I left college. PHP/C coding... a fair bit of MySQL, browser automation and this and that. My line of work has always been centred around SEO and online marketing.

I mainly buy VPS' because they're cheaper than shared hosting and the greater degree of control, particularly being able to install almost anything on them. The hardware limits are better defined and hosting isn't subject to random limitations like timeout on cron jobs and the like.

I've just starting buying VPS' this year and discovered LEB about 6 months ago.

Comments

• sundaymousesundaymouse Member
    edited October 2013

Currently studying for a degree in CS relevant areas. Discovered LEB about one year ago, though didn't speak on LET until maybe June this year.

Roughly have skills in Python, PHP and Mysql. Knows some primal languages as well. No experience in industry just yet.

Have quite a few VPS's, but I am one of the few weirdos here still believe in the value of offerings from large hosting companies such as Linode, rather than putting trust on $7/m VPS's.

• Started using Linux 3 or 4 years ago because me and a group of friends wanted to run several game servers. I was the only one interrested in the *nix knowledge and never stopped. I'm currently starting to learn PHP.

My current school background isn't pointed to anything computer related. It is more about 'using your hands'. (It is the reason why I'm also a part time welder)

My goal in the long future, become a good sys admin and/or php developer. If that doesn't work out I can always fall back to my current schoolbackground.

• emreemre Member, LIR

I had a thumbnail post hosting site back in 1997.

There were no redtube likes back then.

Thumbnails were the king....

Nobody hosts adult back these days. I can't find a suitable shared hosting provider to host my site...

So I had to order a dedicated server from dialtoneinternet ( any body remember that company? I guess it was bought by some big company later )

The server was a pentium II 350 or 400 Mhz I guess with something like redhat 5 on it. Must be 128Mb ram..

I can't be able to do virtual hosting, I guess apache was not that smart back then. So
    when I add a new site I have to order a new ip address each time.. Ip's were free. I had like 100 or more ips on my server at one point.

Server keeps crashing. I was a complete linux rookie. Had to learn basic commands such as /etc/init.d/httpd restart..

Then I installed slackware on my own computer to send /ssping /teardrop packages to my friends in some irc server. heheh. Windows 95 was the king and easy to give BSOD. And I was the only one using slackware and BitchX .....

back these days I was also selling computers. One of my customers was running a sexshop selling dildo's and inflatable babies :D .. one day he saw my thumbnail post site. He said "why not make me a site?" and host it. There was something called internet...
    he was my first hosting customer :). Year was 1998...

now after 15 years, now i have got my own little dc, ripe membership, thousands of customers, etc. etc. but still I really like to search for new hosts :D

around 1.5 years ago I found LEB then LET...

I started collecting LEB's all round the world :)...

Thanked by 1earl
  • Started out at like rune-server with an RSPS in like '06, moved onto shared hosting and now own cabs, also studying and working fulltime learning/managing both UK, Europe and US infrastructure for a international recycling company.

• BlazeMuisBlazeMuis Member
    edited October 2013

Started with computers about 12 years ago, always helped my dad with things. He learned me a lot of things about computers, networking etc. About 5 years ago i started hosting gameservers, and a year later i discovered what a VPS was, bought one and just fell in love with servers. I went to college for a year, studying ICT, got kicked off school because of a stupid mistake. Few weeks ago i got accepted at a new college (one of the biggest in NL) will be studying ICT again and i'm trying to go further into server management after i completed the first 2 years of college

• Java Developer for day job. Grails developer for freelance.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I am an economist, finished Academia de Studii Economice in 1997. At the time I started (1993) it was hard to find a computer, had a spectrum 48K at that time so I was sitting in the lab at university all day long learning netware and hacking the accounts of the admins and writing scripts to fill the disk and force them to buy a larger one (the server was a 486 with a 500 MB disk and each student had something like 100k storage space).
    After a while working in loading/unloading trucks I got a job in a bank (the economy was really bad at that time, people were literally going hungry and there was high unemployment and poverty) and there I was fixing their databases and programs even tho I was working in the accounting department and being financial director for a while, found and fixed problems going back as far as the 70's when a river flood destroyed a lot of archives and I was able to restore the operations by cross-referencing with others which survived. That was a major achievement as the bank was about to be sold and those problems remaining were weighting heavy and the police was sent to investigate the "thieves". I quit after 3 years because of the paranoia going on there are the relations between the heads of the various departments where the party lines remained even if the party was abolished and went in the private sector working in IT for a small company with some 80 employes and 20 or so computers at that time.
    I had then time to study networking on my own, hardware and servers. In about 2006 started to virtualize servers and put them in production in about 2008 with vmware server, but it then went EOL and moved to Xen. When I quit they had 3 nodes with something like 12 virtual servers.

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited October 2013

My IT Timeline:

education: BA in Journalism (not even remotely tech related) :P
    late 1980's: gain a little knowledge of computers, servers and networking
    1991: 4 friends start company
    1994: company launches its first web site .
    1996: 4 friends sell their company
    mid 1996-mid 1997: vacation time thanks to sales proceeds
    1997: same 4 friends start planning next company
    1998-2013: 4 friends finally launch new company, company somehow survives dotcom crash in 2000/1, and everyone lives happily ever after. End of story.

personal tech trivia: I don't own or use any Microsoft or Apple products, the last version of Windows I owned was 3.1 (which I ran inside of OS/2), and I'm an even bigger asshole than Stallman when it comes to voicing my opposition to their use.

@emre said dialtoneinternet ( any body remember that company? I guess it was bought by some big company later )

Interland bought them in 2002. Interland later purchased Web.com, sold their shared and dedicated hosting lines (dedicated went to Peer1) and changed their name to Web.com. If I remember correctly Interland actually began its life as the personal computer division of Micron Technology (ah, I did remember correctly http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/interland-secures-strategic-investors-to-replace-micron-technology-foundation-75914847.html)

• emreemre Member, LIR

@DomainBop said:
    dialtoneinternet

LoL look what I found: Total at start: $450

(Includes first and second months)AS PER YOUR ORDER: (Services and server specs)

Check one: Dedicated servers X Server colocation____

As per your order:

Pentium II 400MHz, 64 MB 8ns SDRAM, 8.3 GB EIDE Hard Drive

Date was 14/04/2000

So I guess I remember the date wrong :)

• @DomainBop

yeah I don't use MS or Apple either, well, apart from when I want to play some old school games that I played as a kid, on my old copy of windows XP.

was just curious, are you in the business of buying/selling domains?

• @emre said:
    So I guess I remember the date wrong :)

True low end, sounds like a beast.