Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What does "unmanaged delivered with root access mean"?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What does "unmanaged delivered with root access mean"?

edited July 2018 in Help

I want to be able to install wordpress via ftp.
With an "unmanaged server and root access" that means I login to ftp and install wordpress, right?
If something goes wrong and I "reboot" and if it doesn't fix it, I send in a ticket.
Maybe pay extra depending on the host.
If a spiteful competitor ddos's me I'm fucked.
With a VPS, I'm not as fucked, and when I send in a ticket it probably won't cost.

Do I have it about right?

Oh, and go ahead flame away if it makes you feel like a man.

Comments

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited July 2018

I'd personally recommend some shared cPanel hosting to you (basically any shared hosting around here). Check out hostmantis/buyshared/misterhost/ramnode.

Technically you are right, you can just get an unmanaged vps and ftp to it and install wp but you'd also need to secure the server against breaches etc yourself. If you go down that road perhaps your best bet is Digital Ocean. They offer a WordPress image to install with one click on the vps and great support as well as iptables management (or was that vultr?!).

Btw. don't be surprised if any "end is nigh" posts or any other flame arises. The folks here just enjoy the forum their own way :P Don't mind them too much either. At the end of the day they're for the most part good lads^^

Thanked by 2onetokeoverthe pike
  • Not even close.

You are expected to install FTP software, your web server, and everything in between. Depending on the host, they may assist you with this for a fee.

DDoS hits vary a lot too. OVH can tank most attacks without much work, however some hosts terminate you for having too many attacks. They may require you to purchase protection as a result.

It's nowhere near as easy as shared hosting. Hire someone to do it for you if you aren't sure.

Thanked by 1onetokeoverthe
  • @Ympker

Issue is, most virtual servers are not preinstalled with FTP. If he chooses to install it on his own, chances are he won't configure it to be secure (enough, anyway).

As you mentioned, he should probably consider shared hosting or perhaps a managed virtual server.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited July 2018

@FlamesRunner said:
    @Ympker

Issue is, most virtual servers are not preinstalled with FTP. If he chooses to install it on his own, chances are he won't configure it to be secure (enough, anyway).

As you mentioned, he should probably consider shared hosting or perhaps a managed virtual server.

He can use (mobaxterm) sftp to login straight away eh? No need for additional ftp setup^^

• mkshmksh Member
    edited July 2018

@FlamesRunner said:

Yeah, i think @Ympker was thinking of sftp though as ftp is nothing but obsolete. What OP means is another question though. I any case i agree. It doesn't seem like unmanaged is a good idea for him.

Edit: Ninja'd. Even good old Filezilla can do sftp. Doesn't help much imo though. If he has to ask what unmanaged means he'll not like it. I won't say anything about the reboot part. No i just won't.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Centminmod + Wordfence + 40 character randomized root pass if you don't want to use keys. Like Ympker said, SFTP works by default and is more secure.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • edited July 2018

Managed VPS is probably the answer. Thanks.
    Expecting some traffic (THAT i know how to do), and I was in remedial trig.*
    Looks like attacks, bots and ddos are the latest trends.
    Things change, the color of my hat is different now so.
    It is what it is, will need help on the tech side.

*(taking trig for the 2nd time) Our pot smoking teacher had us all take the state finals (back when they actually had those things) with the same blue bic #2.
    If we didn't know the answer, leave it blank so he could all get us to pass.
    Jay B. A real hero.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

I'd STRONGLY advise you NOT to get an unmanaged VPS. Those usually come "naked" so you'll need to install - and configure - an http server, SSL certificates, PHP + usually PHP-FPM, and a SQL server as a minimum. Plus of course Wordpress. You'll also have to get a lot of things right like for example directory structure and rights.

And once you are done with all of that and your blog is up and running you'll have insane amounts of hacking attempts at your wp-admin and insane amounts of spam only a part of which will be caught by funny WP "security" mechanisms and plugins.

And there won't be A Jay B. to fill in your blanks.

• edited July 2018

Yeah I get it. And am gonna just pay a little more.
    Was planning on 30/35...
    This one will work for about $39usd.
    They replied to my presales ? in an hour or two, so that's good.
    It's the right country and low profile marketing.

Got a wordpress phish email today.
    So yes, Hot and heavy out there.

Intel Xeon E3-1230v2 Processor
    3 x 3.3 GHz+ CPU Share
    2 GB Memory
    512 MB Vswap
    200 GB Disk Space
    1 Gbps Port Speed
    Unmetered Bandwidth
    Free WHM/cPanel
    Free Softaculous
    Managed VPS
    Netherlands (NL) Location
    24/7 Dedicated Support
    99.9% Uptime Guarantee
    7 Day Money Back Guarantee
    Full Root Access
    VPS Control Panel
    Instant Setup
    Custom rDNS
    Anytime Upgrade

• pikepike Veteran

@Ympker said:
    Don't mind them too much either. At the end of the day they're for the most part good lads^^

Ich hab dich auch lieb Ympker :3

Thanked by 1Ympker