Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A reasonable host....customer focused...anyone? (specs below)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

A reasonable host....customer focused...anyone? (specs below)

edited July 2018 in Requests

Would like 300gb disk space.
"unlimited" bandwith.
"decent" transfer speeds.
prefer netherlands, swiss, hungary, romania locations.
great if there's one click wordpress install, not a deal breaker if not.
easy to use admin panel, i mostly just need ftp.
privacy respected.

Comments

• vovlervovler Member

With those specs, get a vps and install a free panel.

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited July 2018

For a host to be reasonable, one's demand should be reasonable to begin with.

Your demand is not reasonable in a sense that it's not specific enough.

• edited July 2018

deank, these are not "demands". Remind me not to ever talk with you, let alone do business with you.

netherlands, swiss, hungary, romania locations....VERY SPECIFIC
    (but other locations are possible, it depends)

at least 300GB disk space.....SPECIFIC

reasonable and decent speeds/memory....that's called being FLEXIBLE.

wordpress one click....again, nice but a monkey can install wp, so it's not a deal breaker.

the internet is such a shthole now.
    it was better before the last 50% of morons joined in.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

If you want flexibility, browse offers. Expecting hosts to guess your needs in bandwidth and speed is being, as you say, a moron.

Thanked by 1Wolveix
  • TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited July 2018

onetokeoverthe said: These are not "demands". Remind me not to ever talk with you, let alone do business with you.

To be fair, there is no question mark anywhere in your post which would help to suggest it's a question and not a statement or a demand.

Past that, 'Unlimited' is not a valid amount here, as no provider here is able to offer 'Unlimited' anything. Also, I believe you are using the incorrect word overall, what you want is 'unmetered' not 'unlimited'. Additionally, it will be a lot more productive to provide an actual amount that you NEED, ex: 5TB, as most providers do not provide 'unmetered' services and those who do usually offer it on 100Mbit, not Gigabit connectivity. Additionally, what do you consider 'decent' as this is a totally subjective criteria to use, because what is 'decent' for you, may be absolute shit for me. Instead maybe you suggest what types of speeds you are expecting to be able to obtain, including the actual need for 100Mbit or gigabit as there is no actual specification of the connection speed you are in need of. Also, your location will dictate greatly the connectivity you have to any specific location, without knowing where you are and what network you are located on, it is extremely hard to guess what services may have a 'decent' connection to you.

Not trying to be a dick, but you really do need to provide more accurate information if you expect any host to take your 'request' seriously. Otherwise, you will just end up with a bunch of trolling as you have seen so far as there are 'TONS' of hosts that may match your current needs (or may not at all, based on the lack of information actually provided).

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Thanked by 1Wolveix
  • OP: either specify a budget cap or a desired TBs of network transfer you require.(2TB for instance)

• edited July 2018

I appreciate the mechanics of "unlimited". If the math (ie; bandwidth speed + my traffic) works out to about 2TB transfer a month that's probably fine.

But if one month is 2.2TB, I'd rather not pay overages and instead it'd be nice to get an email asking me to stay under 2TB or move up to the next level. Capishe?

And at levels around 30eu/usd a month I see plenty of "unlimited" offers.

And if someone out there sends in a complaint to the host, same thing. Contact me so we can work it out.

I've been at this for over 10 years and boy, how nasty the entire internet has gotten.

Anyway, two times I pulled the trigger and one host couldn't take paypal after all, and the other baited and switched on a major policy 1 minute after I sent payment.

So back to looking....the least favorite part of the process. I enjoy the content creation and marketing/sales/traffic building a lot more.

Just want a host who behaves like a human being. Maybe even IS one.

Maybe I wrote my request that way on purpose for that reason.

Thanks for your two cents.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

onetokeoverthe said: But if one month is 2.2TB, I'd rather not pay overages and instead it'd be nice to get an email asking me to stay under 2TB or move up to the next level. Capishe?

For what it's worth, most providers will simply suspend your hosting once the traffic limit is hit, and re-enable it at the start of next month (or when you upgrade).

onetokeoverthe said: I've been at this for over 10 years and boy, how nasty the entire internet has gotten.

onetokeoverthe said: I enjoy the content creation and marketing/sales/traffic building a lot more.

The internet has gotten nasty primarily because of marketing, sales, and traffic building.

• EdmondEdmond Member

Since when did hosts focus on only the customer? The business must focus on itself's profit first before it can start worrying about the customer. Of course, there must be a healthy balance in order to actually keep a business alive...

• The internet has gotten nasty because morons are calling other people morons.
    Without customers there is no business.
    More people should tell nasty companies to just fuck off.

Anyway, I'm sure I'll find a decent host in the Netherlands, Swiss, Romania or Hungary with reasonable services at a competitive price.

Just maybe not here.

• @vovler said:
    With those specs, get a vps and install a free panel.

where?

• I'm slightly confused what you are in search of. Is this for shared hosting or VPS?
    Not sure if this helps but we have some VDS offers in France if you want to take a look.

• i prefer the 4 countries mentioned....but will look.
    managed vps.

• The plans offered are unmanaged.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

onetokeoverthe said: The internet has gotten nasty because morons are calling other people morons. Without customers there is no business.

The internet wasn't built for business in the first place.

Thanked by 3mksh lazyt netomx
  • Adam1Adam1 Member
    edited July 2018

unmetered is a more agreeable term, but you're unlikely tind that with shared/reseller hosting, but maybe a vps

try not to take the comments personally, but instead agree that "unlimited" is not a congruent term on tech forums and move on.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited July 2018

@Adam1 said:
    unmetered is a more agreeable term, but you're unlikely tind that with shared/reseller hosting, but maybe a vps

try not to take the comments personally, but instead agree that "unlimited" is not a congruent term on tech forums and move on.

Regardless you can try any of the following shared/reseller as they offer unmetered bw:

RamNode

MisterHost

Brixly.uk

Jolt.uk

All-Inkl

AlfaHosting

Contabo

Unlimitedwebhosting.co.uk

Ofc there is also https://infinityfree.net/

Thanked by 1Adam1
  • Adam1Adam1 Member

Ympker said: as they offer unmetered bw:

>

RamNode

They actually offer unlimited not unmetered :o

didnt look at the rest

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • mkshmksh Member

@joepie91 said:

onetokeoverthe said: The internet has gotten nasty because morons are calling other people morons. Without customers there is no business.

The internet wasn't built for business in the first place.

Yeah but with his amazing 10 years of experience this guy obviously has no idea how it looked before it got overrun by commercialization.

Thanked by 1joepie91
  • edited July 2018

This guy has had sites up for over 10 years.

This guy was selling internet services to newspapers, before the dot com boom.

This guy was on the internet while you were in diapers, what is this, a pissing match?

Anyway, I might look through the list above but everyone seems to be IGNORING my request for Netherlands, Swiss, Hungary, Romania.

thanks/s

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • DedispecDedispec Member, Patron Provider

@onetokeoverthe said:

This guy was on the internet while you were in diapers, what is this, a pissing match?

Anyway, I might look through the list above but everyone seems to be IGNORING my request for Netherlands, Swiss, Hungary, Romania.

thanks/s

What if 'this guy' is a "reasonable customer focused host" participating in said pissing match?

• williewillie Member
    edited July 2018

Maybe you could rewrite your post to use concrete specs and budget, instead of "unlimited" and "decent speed", and say you want a managed VPS instead of "customer focused". The latter makes you sound like a problem customer who has been in disputes with other hosts in the past, or expect a lot of free development/consulting, or whatever. The thing about a soft limit on bandwidth also sounds naive: if you ask for a 2TB limit with the possibility of sending 2.2TB, then you really want a 2.2TB limit so ask for that instead. Nobody is going to manually monitor your traffic and make a soft decision. There will either be a bandwidth cap or a $X/TB charge. Plus, you say nothing about CPU or ram requirements. Then you say you were using the interweb since the rest of us were in diapers, but your request looks like you've done almost no research. So that is why you're not being taken seriously. Finally, you don't state a budget, which means we have no idea what your expectations are, so we assume the worst.

Why don't you try again, stating actual specs and budget instead of "decent speed", unlimited bw, etc. If you don't have a clear enough picture of the current hosting market to know what budget is realistic, that's not so bad all by itself, but in that case stop pretending you're so much more knowledgeable than us. Maybe you've been doing this since 2008, but the rest of us here follow current developments every day, while it sounds like you're still in 2008.

Anyway the simplest recommendation I can make is Digital Ocean's NL location for your server and DO Spaces for your static assets. This won't be the cheapest and it's unmanaged, but DO's support is excellent, they have ready-made installation templates for Wordpress and anything else you might want, the $10/month server comes with 2TB of bw, and overages are $0.01/GB (plus Spaces is $5/mo with 250GB of storage and 1TB bw). If you are ok with a more DIY approach and want to save expenses, then liteserver.nl comes to mind.

• Always wondered: why does it have to be either manual review or suspension/overcharge? Is there not a way to trigger a warning email at 95% of bw limit, then another at 5% over with an automatic suspension at say, 150%?

I didn’t google hosting billing solutions features, so my bad, but I do see this suspend or pay more often than not.

• williewillie Member

WorkingDude said: Is there not a way to trigger a warning email at 95% of bw limit, then another at 5% over with an automatic suspension at say, 150%?

If "limit" is 2TB and suspension is at 3TB then the real limit is 3TB so why not just say so in the first place? The email alerts at 1.9TB (95% of 2TB) and 2.1TB would then be at 63% and 70% of 3TB, kind of weird but if that's what you want then why not. Email alerts could be a useful feature (don't know if anyone offers them) but pseudo-limits seem silly.

Weirdly, DO's API docs don't say an endpoint for checking how much bw has been consumed so far. If that existed it would be simple to connect it to one's monitoring system. @Jarland ?

• YuraYura Member
    edited July 2018

OP uses a gazillion words just to avoid saying "I need max amount of X and max amount of Y, ok tnx". Stubborn and ineffective for someone with 10 years of experience in this market.

The end is certainly nigh.

• mkshmksh Member

@onetokeoverthe said:

Wow.

Wow.

This guy was on the internet while you were in diapers

Of course.

what is this, a pissing match?

That's a question you might want to ask yourself.

Thanked by 1Wolveix
  • lazytlazyt Member

Well since I was 11 when ARPANET was formed I doubt the diaper bit.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @lazyt said:
    Well since I was 11 when ARPANET was formed I doubt the diaper bit.

Claim to be a bit older and adult diapers might be a thing.

Thanked by 2netomx Wolveix
  • lazytlazyt Member
    edited July 2018

Lol getting too close to that for comfort. Getting old sucks.

I was born the year Sputnik 1s orbit decayed.

• edited July 2018

@willie said:

sounds like you're still in 2008.

Agreed, I havn't had to shop for a host.

The reason I say customer focused is because the new management of the host I've been with for 10 years couldn't be arsed to send me a new set of UN/PWs for ftp. Something previous management had no problem doing maybe once every year or two.

That's about the extent of my requests as a customer....oh, one time I asked for help geoblocking a hotlinker.

But anyway, that simple customer service fail is why I'm leaving. Plus their pricing isn't competitive.

I guess a "problem" customer is anyone who doesn't just shut the fuck up and pay?
    Last time I checked +$30 (to 150) x 12 months x 10 years is worth an occasional easy ticket request.

This is an NL host, reasonable specs, speed, pricing (for me).
    It even says "unlimited", which to me means I don't get cut off without notice...maybe there's throttling, etc...

Server

€ 30.40
    Memory 4 GB
    Storage 240 GB HDD
    Swap 1 GB
    CPU cores 2 × 2.4Ghz @ 90%, included
    Multiple snapshots yes / first is free
    Network traffic unlimited / free
    Software

€ 0.00
    None selected
    Extras

€ 0.00
    24×7 SLA on server availability free
    One hour ticket response time within office hours free
    14 days satisfaction guarantee free
    Monthly cost

€ 30.40
    € 30.40 incl. 0% VAT

PS...thanks for the tip on liteserver but it is metered bandwidth, not "unlimited".
    Oh and for the uninitated or less literary here, the "air quotes" around unlimited in my initial post means I know it's not "really" unlimited.

EDIT:
    Found this, in Romania (one of the 4 countries I listed). Looks good. Will contact them.
    "Thanks" everyone.

Storage VPS 6TB

€ 25
    monthly

6TB HDD
    CPU 4vCore
    1 Dedicated IP
    4GB ECC RAM
    Full Root Access
    Multiple 32/64 bit OS
    20TB Traffic/Month
    1 Gbps Port

EDIT:
    in NL, the fine print: Our unmetered Linux VPS plans are subjected to 10 TB FUP.
    I expect this.