Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Initial step before buying a dedi
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Initial step before buying a dedi

I am new to dedi and I am trying to buy one..
I just afraid that I would buy a dedi that can be useless to me.. can anyone suggest me what I need to know about the dedi I want to buy??

Comments

• anyNodeanyNode Member, Host Rep

Well, what do you need the dedicated server for?

• It would seem the initial step is to find a use case for one

• @anyNode I want to use it for seedbox and for converting videos.. I tried on vps but I need faster speed and not getting banned by abusing the server..

• Make sure the server is what you need, Does it have enough ram? Enough hard drive space? A good processor capable of supporting whatever you need? Fast enough network? Enough bandwidth?

Then google around for reviews of that particular provider and see if anyone else has had any experience with them.

Ask the provider if you have any concerns, it's always best to find out if they allow xyz then to be banned for doing xyz.

• JohnRoeJohnRoe Member
    edited October 2013

I am confusing about choosing processor.. there are atom, single core, quad core.. I just confuse with all that stuff..

• anyNodeanyNode Member, Host Rep

@psycholyzern said:
    I am confusing about choosing processor.. the are atom, single core, quad core.. I just confuse with all that stuff..

Well you may want something small depending on how much you'll be doing. You can try some of the budget providers offering dual L5520 dedi's for ~$50/mo, make sure the provider you choose allows seedboxes before you purchase though.

• @psycholyzern said:
    I am confusing about choosing processor.. the are atom, single core, quad core.. I just confuse with all that stuff..

Okay, thats a good start. I'll try and help:

Atom - An Atom processor is a slightly older processor. It has about 1.6GHz and is a single core processor. It's good for basic tasks (web server, mail server, light gaming, etc)

Single core - Only able to do one process at a time. The more cores, the more processes and usually more speed. Cores go like this: Single, Dual, Triple, Quad and then Hexa.

Since you're converting videos I think you'll be going with Windows (correct me if i'm wrong) so you'll want anything above a dual core. Single core processors aren't that great for converting videos. I think (correct me if i'm wrong) seedboxes mainly require more bandwidth than anything.

I hope I explained that well enough, if I didn't feel free to ask :)

• actually I am more to linux.. btw, its good to have windows.. I didnt really understand, if I am using windows, do I have to use my own licence key?? or it is preactivated?

• @psycholyzern said:
    actually I am more to linux.. btw, its good to have windows.. I didnt really understand, if I am using windows, do I have to use my own licence key?? or it is preactivated?

Okay Linux should be about the same then, i'd still recommend anything above a dual core. You might be able to get away with a single core but i'm not sure.

As for licensing of Windows, sometimes the provider will sell you a license for $xx.xx a month, and sometimes you'll just have to bring your own license. It really depends on the provider.