Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why not have star rating for members?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why not have star rating for members?

newhostnewhost Member
edited February 2012 in General

A while ago I was considering launching a directory of the local ISP's. I wanted to have each ISP ranked with 1-5 stars depending on the client's rating. Why not have this here?
Yes, some of you might think that this opens the door to abuse (the providers could inflate their ranking by opening multiple accounts), however if the rankings are detailed (like the eBay feedback) one would easily see that thirty five stars rankings received within 6 hours from 2 days old accounts do look a little fishy.

Comments

• Not a bad idea. Such a database would require a few hands having enough spare time to keep it cleaned of aforementioned bogus ratings, though; otherwise the data would be skewed.

I'd suggest this to be more an additional feature for LEB, though... the majority of the providers' posts you find on the LET side aren't necessarily advocating their company, but more just individuals taking part in the community.

• Yes, but then again a while ago I've stumbled upon some website luring business owners to use their forum posting services. LET became pretty popular so it could become a target for those posting services. This is why I was emphasizing on a transparent way to evaluate the legitimacy of the ratings.

• Very good point, we do get an abnormal amount of trash offer postings. Vanilla is fairly simple to mod for; I wouldn't mind writing something up myself if I had the spare time.

• Actually, a simple listing of the users post count would probably be enough for now.

There are plenty of options for this sort of thing. Something like karma bank comes to mind.

• I was on a forum once and got a -4000something rep because people got mad about all the cool ideas I had and then I wasn't able to do certain things and the mods reset my rep like 3x.

• AldryicAldryic Member
    edited February 2012

One would think you might take the hint after the first time

• @Aldryic said: One would think you might take the hint after the first time

The problem was obviously all the other people and not him, duh.

• We had a system similar to that (where LEB blog posts could be rated with stars) but i think that got removed again pretty quick

• @Xeoncross said: Something like karma bank comes to mind.

Back to karma then? And karma whores ...

I'm for ratings if it gives us possibility to vote ... some people off the island

• I like how it is on reddit, where you can vote posts down so they're hidden.

• I'm not a 'vet' here by any means, but I don't really think it's a good idea. Keeping things on untouchably even ground usually works to the benefit of everyone, whereas crowd-powered rating systems only work to the benefit of some. A few reasonable and level-headed moderators are all that should be needed.

Thanked by 1Naruto
  • In an honest world it should not even be needed... In a dishonest one, sadly, impossible to set it up!
    But a way to clean a little around would always be welcome.

• ChiefChief Member
    edited February 2012

@Naruto, you can go chill for 48 hours and quit being a menace.
    @dclardy, when you fuel him you're just as much of the problem yourself.

What we need are members who can exercise self-control, opposed to blaming that lack of self-control on "Moderators."

Back on topic, Star Rating or Karma systems work if you have the right algorithm to suit your environment. An out of the box system rarely works successfully in a community environment where emotions are involved. In a factual, Question & Answer environment they can be incredibly successful and stackoverflow is an example of that.