Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best email client for Windows 10
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Best email client for Windows 10

Which email client do you use in windows 10?

I've recently moved to windows 10, was using Sparkmail in Mac, so looking for something similar.

Comments

• I'm using outlook mail and Mozilla Thunderbird.. both are very good.

Thanked by 1WebProject
  • One more vote for Thunderbird.

Their search function could be better though.

• kasslekassle Member
    edited July 2018

eM Client ?

• @Chalipa said:
    Which email client do you use in windows 10?

If default email app isn't working for you, outlook or thunderbird are the alternatives.

Outlook of course is paid app comes with office suite. While thunderbird is free from Mozilla.

• HxxxHxxx Member

I agree with Thunderbird but it is no longer part of the family of Mozilla. Is an independent project.

As good as Office Outlook.

@rohitpoint said:
    I'm using outlook mail and Mozilla Thunderbird.. both are very good.

Thanked by 1TheKiller
  • gleertgleert Member, Host Rep

eM Client +1

• +1 for Thunderbird

• Thunderbird

dergelbe said: Their search function could be better though.

Have you tried using the filter instead of the search? That's what works best for me.

• southysouthy Member
    edited July 2018

Basically, all clients that I know of are crap.

Currently I use eM. Not very happy.
    Had Thunderbird for many years. Not happy.
    Have Outlook 2016 at work. Not happy.
    Tried Mailbird ca 2 years ago, abandoned it a week later. Not happy.
    And don’t even get me started about that sorry excuse of a mailclient that comes with Win 10 - the only good thing you can say about it is that it looks better than Outlook Express, may it rest and never come back.

Bottom line:
    They are all crap.

Currently eM freaks me out with errors all the time because it thinks I want to be notified with large popups whenever my laptop has no connection for a second. (e.g. when I move between WiFis (home > work > somewhere)).

Or they don’t support MAPI for my contacts or they don’t support keyboard shortcuts or why do so few support contact pictures (via MAPI/cardDav) or...
    ...you know this is one of the most frustrating topics in computers.
    Since Mutt, nothing really convincing happened on the Mail Client front.
    And my mutt+vim time ist quite a while ago.

• defaultdefault Veteran

@southy said:
    Bottom line:
    They are all crap.

+1 That's my opinion too, besides we are talking about Windows 10 and Microsoft to begin with. Something extremely sad must have happened with good old fashioned webmail, hosted on a LET server.

• HxxxHxxx Member

Webmail is trash my dude. Is not even comparable to Gmail or (online & free) Outlook . Is not anymore about reading and writing. A mail client now does much more, specially advanced searching, invites, integration, etc.

@default said:

@southy said:
    Bottom line:
    They are all crap.

+1 That's my opinion too, besides we are talking about Windows 10 and Microsoft to begin with. Something extremely sad must have happened with good old fashioned webmail, hosted on a LET server.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

windows Mail works OK for me

• I basically do not use e-mail clients, I always work directly, through the web interface with the gmail

• NomadNomad Member
    edited July 2018

Mailbird, ahaha...
    Uses everything in an iframe,
    Runs every data through their servers

And they claim to be a mail client.
    Meeh.

Bought paid version and returned it later. Wasn't sure worth a penny.

I do own em.. That one is not good at all either.

They all suck.

Some look nice but doesn't work fine, some doesn't even work, some are missing basic functionality, some are just utterly terrible...

• Nomad said: Uses everything in an iframe, Runs every data through their servers

Can you prove that?

• southysouthy Member

@ValeryTrof said:
    I basically do not use e-mail clients, I always work directly, through the web interface with the gmail

Webmail is not any bit more "directly".
    It is a bunch of PHP-scripty / AJAX / whatever. So it is just as much code that communicates with the SMTP/IMAP Server as any standalone client. It just doesn't "live" on your own HDD, but it's not "more direct" in any way.

Webmail is a replacement for times when you are not at you own PC. On a PC, how does it even compare?

You have to load the full code of the application over internet on startup, you are always restricted to the Browser and its limits (= no keyboard shortcuts,...), all data needs to run via your internet uplink, being almost always slower than direct access to your local harddrive, so: longer loading times per email (no local cache), no local search cache / index, ...
    And, above all else: it won't work if you are offline.

So, not surprisingly: the feature set of webmail clients is typically nowhere near a decent standalone client.

Thanked by 1RoboMWM
  • angstromangstrom Moderator

@southy said: Since Mutt, nothing really convincing happened on the Mail Client front. And my mutt+vim time ist quite a while ago.

There's NeoMutt: https://neomutt.org/

• mkshmksh Member

I think sylpheed also runs on windows ;)

Thanked by 1angstrom

@southy said:
    Basically, all clients that I know of are crap.

Currently I use eM. Not very happy.
    Had Thunderbird for many years. Not happy.
    Have Outlook 2016 at work. Not happy.
    Tried Mailbird ca 2 years ago, abandoned it a week later. Not happy.
    And don’t even get me started about that sorry excuse of a mailclient that comes with Win 10 - the only good thing you can say about it is that it looks better than Outlook Express, may it rest and never come back.

Bottom line:
    They are all crap.

Currently eM freaks me out with errors all the time because it thinks I want to be notified with large popups whenever my laptop has no connection for a second. (e.g. when I move between WiFis (home > work > somewhere)).

It nevertheless sounds like eM is best for you. Maybe ask about this issue on the eM forum?

@mksh said:
    I think sylpheed also runs on windows ;)

+1 for Sylpheed.

Come to think of it, I don't think that NeoMutt runs on Windows. :-D

I don't share @southy pessimism regarding email clients, but if one needs all sorts of calendar and business card and dating book and what-not integration, it may prove difficult. I use an email client for email -- I don't expect it to make coffee as well. But I may not be a typical user.

• southysouthy Member

@default said:

Something extremely sad must have happened with good old fashioned webmail, hosted on a LET server.

How was that ever a match for a decent client? See my post above.
    Besides: webmail still works. Not worse than yesterday. It just couldn't keep up with the evolution of mail clients over the last years.
    Roundcube, Horde, gmail, they all still exist. But seemingly aged if you compare to modern standalone clients.

I mean, I was ranting about how crappy they all (still) are.
    But I do acknowledge that a lot has happened over the last years. It's just that I am still not happy with how things are.

Examples:
    Outlook has come a long way. Take the search functions in O 2016, for example. They are really a world from what you had 5 years ago. I would almost call it "really good" except some small issues I have with it.

I like having pictures of my contacts, I like a decent quick search over an index, I like shortcuts, I like flexible graphical customisation, I like speed (which is where Outlook surely is not top of the line).

So why do I say "all client are crap"?
    Because I think that modern technology should allow so much more better mail clients to be built.
    E.g. in Outlook, I am not happy with the recognition of names when I try to find the correct person in adressbook: I work in an international corporation and many names are very hard to spell (scandinavian, russian,...). But the recognition only finds people when you spell the names right. Mis-spell and you are lost.
    There is SO MUCH room for improvement in this detail. There are more clever technologies available today to recognize words that are not 100% spelled correctly.

So: yes, for general multi-purpose private home use, there's lots of decent clients available.

But for professional use, as said, I think there is much room for improvement in any of those. Even though, honestly, for professional use there is currently nothing that beats Outlook.
    Where else would you get decent Skype integration, ...

All personal hopes for improvement aside, I think I am complaining on a rather high level :-)

• mkshmksh Member
    edited July 2018

@angstrom said:
    I don't share @southy pessimism regarding email clients, but if one needs all sorts of calendar and business card and dating book and what-not integration, it may prove difficult. I use an email client for email -- I don't expect it to make coffee as well. But I may not be a typical user.

Same here. I like applications that stick to doing one thing and try to be good at just that. All i really want from a mail client is multi account support, ability to create custom folders, filtering rules to sort the mails and not getting in my way. For everything else i'd get a different application and i'd be annoyed if i ended up with duplicate functionality just because some developer thought it was great to integrate something outside of it's scope. It'll probably not reach the quality of a specialized application anyways.

• Any more suggestions? I too need a mail client that can do multiple email ids (like 20-30) and also downloads everything to create a backup of the mails for future use. (I want to backup all email ids in the organisation on my backup server using this client)

@southy said: All personal hopes for improvement aside, I think I am complaining on a rather high level :-)

Another first-world problem? ;-)

southy said: So why do I say "all client are crap"? Because I think that modern technology should allow so much more better mail clients to be built. E.g. in Outlook, I am not happy with the recognition of names when I try to find the correct person in adressbook: I work in an international corporation and many names are very hard to spell (scandinavian, russian,...). But the recognition only finds people when you spell the names right. Mis-spell and you are lost. There is SO MUCH room for improvement in this detail. There are more clever technologies available today to recognize words that are not 100% spelled correctly.

Okay, this is a good general point.

southy said: But for professional use, as said, I think there is much room for improvement in any of those. Even though, honestly, for professional use there is currently nothing that beats Outlook. Where else would you get decent Skype integration, ...

Skype integration? Really? I mean, at this point, you're probably talking about a proprietary solution anyway, which is a different game from Mutt, Sylpheed, Thunderbird, etc.

• mkshmksh Member

@partymonger said:
    Any more suggestions? I too need a mail client that can do multiple email ids (like 20-30) and also downloads everything to create a backup of the mails for future use. (I want to backup all email ids in the organisation on my backup server using this client)

Haven't tried it but i guess sylpheed would have no problem with 20-30 accounts. Backup is as easy as copying 2 folders.

@partymonger said:
    Any more suggestions? I too need a mail client that can do multiple email ids (like 20-30) and also downloads everything to create a backup of the mails for future use. (I want to backup all email ids in the organisation on my backup server using this client)

I think that the backup of emails (like backups in general) is usually considered to be a different kind of action, with different tools available. I think that it's rare for an email client to have this functionality integrated.

• mkshmksh Member

@angstrom said:

@partymonger said:

I think that the backup of emails (like backups in general) is usually considered to be a different kind of action, with different tools available. I think that it's rare for an email client to have this functionality integrated.

Yeah, not much of a problem to setup some kind of remote syncronization on the mail directories anyways.

• CrossBoxCrossBox Member, Patron Provider

@southy

You seem to have a fine taste for a mail client. We'd like you to join our closed beta, try CrossBox out and maybe give us a valuable feedback from your point of view.

• southysouthy Member

@angstrom said:

@southy said: All personal hopes for improvement aside, I think I am complaining on a rather high level :-)

Another first-world problem? ;-)

Yes.
    But come on, we have 2018. And mail clients in general feel having stopped to evolve when we won the last worldcup. Or, now, actually: the one before that.

southy said: So why do I say "all client are crap"? Because I think that modern technology should allow so much more better mail clients to be built. E.g. in Outlook, I am not happy with the recognition of names when I try to find the correct person in adressbook: I work in an international corporation and many names are very hard to spell (scandinavian, russian,...). But the recognition only finds people when you spell the names right. Mis-spell and you are lost. There is SO MUCH room for improvement in this detail. There are more clever technologies available today to recognize words that are not 100% spelled correctly.

Okay, this is a good general point.

See, and that's what I find a bit sad not only in this thread here but in general in email clients.
    People (including here) say "it's just email, it just needs to do email, take eM or Thunderbird or Sylpheed etc...
    But again:
    Thinking of what COULD be, with current technology, an email client could be so much more useful!

Guys, you are just not demanding enough!!
    There is so much more potential!
    Mail has become annoying not because it has to, but because the software around it has stopped to evolve!

• regognize recipient as I type in the name in "To:" even if I mis-spell by some clever algorythm

• "Search" #1: WAY faster by maintaining decent indexes in the first place.

• "Search" #2: Mail clients allow to search for keywords. But this is just not how our brains work, usually. we remember context, e.g. "something that a guy from the irish team sent to marketing about half a year ago" about a solution that might be called "ABC": or perhaps "CBA"? Or "BCA"?.
      Ask any of the clients today, they will ALL FAIL.
      It's 2018!!! AI, deep learning, algorythms everywhere, but most email clients still can only search for individual words in a pile of full text.

• "Search" #3: Having proper search-tools that are quicker and easier to use, such as e.g. in Outlook with the buttons where you can directly choose "with Attachment" etc.

• proper automated sorting of stuff:
      Yes, working with sub-folders helps a lot. But I do NOT want to manually move mails into folders manually. I forget halft the time to do it, resulting in an even bigger mess, or I have to work late to sort stuff.
      And I do not want to bother setting up rules.
      Why can I not - like in a SPAM filter - sort one week and then the client learns: ok, if it is this group of people and that topic, then it belongs to Project A.

• Attachments #1: overview of attachments for direct access to "something that was sent to me containing"...

• Attachments #2:
      in general the whole attachment-issue: I mean, honestly! We STILL do this! It's a PAIN in itself!
      Thunderbird had an extension(?) available a while back, where if you drag an attachment in an email, it would automatically be uploaded to a cloud-store and only a link inserted.
      However they built is so that it only works with one cloud service (if I remember correctly).
      There was a workaround to make it work with others (don't remember: dropbox?) but it was just too cumbersome and ultimately did work only half the time.
      Why is something like this not decently done today with OneDrive, Dropbox-support?

• What's with viewing emails in a client: you can either choose between "display all emails individually" or some sort of "threaded view".
      Is that it? The end of the line? Evolution has terminated?
      I mean: neither way of presenting allows me a realy quick overview of who said when what to whom.
      Dear developers, PLEASE think different!
      How about something like a "communcation grid" where you display graphically who send what to whom

Ok, those were just very few points where I think there is really A LOT room for improvement. There's probably much more that I did not think about.
    And this is why I honestly can not consider ANY of the clients out there as "on 2018-level", whichever it is. They all fall short.

On top - and yes, you can consider this proprietary now:

• Integration of Skype, OneDrive, Sharepoint, Teams, Yammer,...
      This obviously goes for corporations (such as my employer) that work with these tools and is only really relevant for Outlook. But even there, there's so much room for improvement:
      Not received conversations from skype appear in email inbox . but: each posting in its own email. No context, spamming my inbox.
      I'd like some "communication hub" where I see all communication that is ongoing, in a reasonable presentation (= NOT: skype text messages per email with one mail per line.)
      Yammer postings come in per email and you have to click on a link to go over to yammer client. leaving you with