Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which router?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which router?

leapswitchleapswitch Patron Provider, Veteran

Hello,

We are looking to upgrade one DC location in India from software based routers.

We will have 3*1G BGP connections with full tables with peak load of 2G currently. We need the setup to handle upto 5G traffic and also support 10G ethernet ports.

What would you recommend for a redundant setup of 2 such routers?

Comments

• What about juniper’s?

Heard Pretty great stuff a/b them

• niknik Member, Host Rep

Budget?

My choice going forward are Arista 7280R's.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

If you only have 2G peak, you can consider a DIY vyatta router (using decent hw). Decent NICs and an E5 or E3 CPU can handle a few G no problem.

For 10G you probably want something a propper. But the price will start at 10k and if you need redundancy, double it!

• drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep

Juniper MX80

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@drserver said:
    Juniper MX80

3 full tables reconvergence in just under an hour.

I'd go for MX204 - has a proper CPU and given the capacity you'll be fine using it for years :)

Thanked by 1techhelper1
  • BruceBruce Member

def not LET price

@Bruce said:
    def not LET price

Yeah, but a great network is a backbone of your business.

Fuck up network and whatever else you invest in doesn’t really matter any more.

Thanked by 2FoxelVox Janevski
  • @Clouvider said:

@Bruce said:
    def not LET price

Fuck up network and whatever else you invest in doesn’t really matter any more.

THANK YOU.

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

Have you looked into the Edgerouter Infinity?

• NomadNomad Member
    edited July 2018

@Clouvider said:

@Bruce said:
    def not LET price

Fuck up network and whatever else you invest in doesn’t really matter any more.i

Meeh... Better learn how to do shit as well. Or hire a someone who can (:.

My experience says Juniper is better and easier than shit like Fortigate. At least for me.

@RobertClarke said:

Not ASIC

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

@RobertClarke said:

I've not tried the 'infinity' model, but my experience with UBNT has been a bit of a love hate sort of thing.

It's based on Vyatta, which I love. And they are well made, little routers. Low power consumption, look good and fairly cheap too. But they don't come close to the advertised performance. The ER8 Pro is supposed to do 2Mpps, but a small DDoS attack of less than 500kpps will cause it to completely crash. Meaning it's not really any good for anything more than 100Mbit. They handle 1G fine, with large packets, so if you dont get DDoS, they are okay.

But if you like the UBNT routers, then you should also like Vyatta, which is what UBNT uses. As mentioned above, a decent E3 or E5 CPU, and propper NICs, and you can get a pretty high performance router on a budget. Even when enabling netflow with a high sampling rate, it should be able to handle a few Mpps, which is plenty for a couple of 1G uplinks. 10G is probably pushing it, but if you're only talking 2G, then the CPU can more than handle a DDoS as the lines will become congested before the CPUs start to suffer.

Depending on how many NICs you want, such a DIY router should probably set you back around $500 - $800. Setup at least 2 for some redundancy, and that's $1,000 - $1,600, which is as cheap as it gets for a router that has that kind of routing capacity.

Don't be sucked in by the 'cheap' Junipers that also do CPU based routing. They have terrible performance. I know this is EOL, but I remember being given a J series Juniper router some years back. Cost a few THOUSAND dollars at the time, but could barely handle 100Kpps. AND IT failed within 6 months..

Obviously a proper ASIC router is what you really want, but you need to spend some proper money. As mentioned above, probably $10k+

@Clouvider said:

@RobertClarke said:

Not ASIC

Shouldn't be necessary based on his requirements...

@randvegeta said:

@RobertClarke said:

I've not tried the 'infinity' model, but my experience with UBNT has been a bit of a love hate sort of thing.

It's based on Vyatta, which I love. And they are well made, little routers. Low power consumption, look good and fairly cheap too. But they don't come close to the advertised performance. The ER8 Pro is supposed to do 2Mpps, but a small DDoS attack of less than 500kpps will cause it to completely crash. Meaning it's not really any good for anything more than 100Mbit. They handle 1G fine, with large packets, so if you dont get DDoS, they are okay.

But if you like the UBNT routers, then you should also like Vyatta, which is what UBNT uses. As mentioned above, a decent E3 or E5 CPU, and propper NICs, and you can get a pretty high performance router on a budget. Even when enabling netflow with a high sampling rate, it should be able to handle a few Mpps, which is plenty for a couple of 1G uplinks. 10G is probably pushing it, but if you're only talking 2G, then the CPU can more than handle a DDoS as the lines will become congested before the CPUs start to suffer.

Depending on how many NICs you want, such a DIY router should probably set you back around $500 - $800. Setup at least 2 for some redundancy, and that's $1,000 - $1,600, which is as cheap as it gets for a router that has that kind of routing capacity.

Don't be sucked in by the 'cheap' Junipers that also do CPU based routing. They have terrible performance. I know this is EOL, but I remember being given a J series Juniper router some years back. Cost a few THOUSAND dollars at the time, but could barely handle 100Kpps. AND IT failed within 6 months..

Obviously a proper ASIC router is what you really want, but you need to spend some proper money. As mentioned above, probably $10k+

If you're in a position where DDOS is a problem you probably shouldn't be using an Edgerouter as an edge router...

• leapswitchleapswitch Patron Provider, Veteran

Thank you everyone, I am looking at Juniper MX and Cisco ASR. I am not really interested in DIY, Mikrotik or Ubnt, despite the nice interfaces.

Need to see what is actually available in India and price points for the same.

• Juniper MX, don't even bother going to the Cisco route. When you look at how everything works in the CLI, you'll be glad you did it.

• Juniper MX 80 have 4x10G SFP slots in minimum equipment.
    There is a cheap solution Mikrotik Cloud Core router - from 1k $

• Overall, I've had really bad experiences with Cisco routers...

• @Firstishe said:
    Juniper MX 80 have 4x10G SFP slots in minimum equipment.
    There is a cheap solution Mikrotik Cloud Core router - from 1k $

As previously said here, no to the Mikrotik's and PowerPC CPU based MX routers.

@Membucket said:
    Overall, I've had really bad experiences with Cisco routers...

Like?

And the information about conditions it was used it.

Having said that, just wanted to share much love for Juniper :-).

Thanked by 1techhelper1
  • @Clouvider said:

@drserver said:
    Juniper MX80

Have you had that experience in action or got the information from somewhere else? I'm running a MX80 as backbone router in Prague and it's converging two eBGP sessions and one iBGP session in less than 10 minutes.

@florianb said:

@Clouvider said:

@drserver said:
    Juniper MX80

Have you had that experience in action or got the information from somewhere else? I'm running a MX80 as backbone router in Prague and it's converging two eBGP sessions and one iBGP session in less than 10 minutes.

Own experience.

From crash - full table -> 0 routes -> full convergence back with not too complicated policies, time until the routes are actually installed in the FIB, on 3 full eBGP, with 2 iBGP sessions sending the table forward was just under an hour. That was long time ago and that was a primary reason for upgrade.

Thanked by 1techhelper1
  • @Clouvider that seems like you've made a far worse experience with that device. However, I do agree, for larger deployments I'd also suggest using a MX240 or larger. I'm only using this device in Prague as there's hardly any traffic going to/from there, so that's not meant to be a large exchange point.

For your sort of deployment (where you'd likely mesh the edges of each PoP or connect all neighboring PoPs using ring) that device won't suffice anymore at all, not to speak of the fact you require far more ports.

Anyway, that seems like you've probably tripped a memory limit on that device, from my own experience I can say that whenever I turned up more than 6 full table sessions on that model, it basically freezed entirely.

Probably the MX150 works for the OP, just put a decent switch after the router (i.e. Arista 7150 series) and put VLANs over that to get some reasonable port density.

Memory was all right, problem was the poor CPU in the control plane.

Thanked by 1techhelper1