Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for EU Vendors of various hardware that accepts Paypal
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for EU Vendors of various hardware that accepts Paypal

randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

I have an aversion to actually converting EUR we accumulate in our HK based Paypal account to HKD or USD, as the conversion fee is ridiculous (>3%).

I would prefer, if possible, to spend it on things we need, rather than lose than 3%+ for no reason.

It's not a huge amount, but if anyone knows any decent EU based vendors (2nd hand too) who accepts Paypal payments, would be interested in finding a decent place to spend this cash.

EBay seems to be the most common place to find stuff to buy from within the EU, but search results are always mixed with stuff from all over the place. And the UK tends to be cheaper any way. So if a UK vendor want's some EUR, that's cool too.

Comments

• cociucociu Member
    edited July 2018

i have some ram modules of 4, 8 , 16 gb ddr3 10600R , if you are interesed let me know and i will make a good price

• cociucociu Member

some 12800 too

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

@cociu said:
    i have some ram modules of 4, 8 , 16 gb ddr3 10600R , if you are interesed let me know and i will make a good price

Actually I do need some.

How many you got of each? I will need around 1TB worth of DDR3 RAM in the next couple months or so. I have a vendor in the UK already, but if you accept EUR and have a better price, I'm interested :-)

• cociucociu Member

4 gb let talk about 6 eur/module arrownd 500 modules disponible to sell

8gb ----- 20 eur/module -------300 modules

16 gb -----45 eur/module ------ +300

@cociu said:
    4 gb let talk about 6 eur/module arrownd 500 modules disponible to sell

8gb ----- 20 eur/module -------300 modules

16 gb -----45 eur/module ------ +300

That's a lot of RAM you have there.

Not particulalry interested in the 4GB DIMMs unless they were basically 1 EUR each. Even if the boards have 16 slots, 4GB DIMMS means a max of 64GB RAM, which is not particularly useful.

My supplier in the UK has cheaper 8GB DIMMs, and also has a very large stock.

Your 16GB DIMMS, are slightly cheaper than my UK supplier, but I tend to buy 8GB sticks since most of my boards have 16 slots, and 128G is enough. Any chance you would be able to get the price down to around 35EUR ? :-).

1TB in 16GB DIMMs = 64 peices = 2,240 EUR :)

• cociucociu Member

randvegeta said: Any chance you would be able to get the price down to around 35EUR ? :-).

i will think about it

• cociucociu Member

what is the price what you have for 8gb ?

cociu said: what is the price what you have for 8gb ?

About 15 EUR from my existing supplier.

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep

Looked into transferwise? Should get your 3% down to about 0.5%.

Thanked by 1ma2t

@jackb said:

Money is already in PayPal. And it's not the transfer fees, it's the conversion fees.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@randvegeta said:

@jackb said:

Money is already in PayPal. And it's not the transfer fees, it's the conversion fees.

Distributors won’t take PayPal, they want bank transfer almost exclusively.

So you either loose 3% on these conversions or, likely, more % by buying fromca reseller of a reseller.

Clouvider said: Distributors won’t take PayPal, they want bank transfer almost exclusively.

Indeed most of my vendors I pay by bank transfer. But that is the point of this thread, to find an alternative.

Thanked by 1Ympker

@randvegeta said:

Clouvider said: Distributors won’t take PayPal, they want bank transfer almost exclusively.

Indeed most of my vendors I pay by bank transfer. But that is the point of this thread, to find an alternative.

Yep, but he prepared to pay way more for the alternative than you pay for the conversion. All I’m saying.

Clouvider said: but he prepared to pay way more

That obviously defeats the point of this. But I also don't think it's true.

Plenty of vendors are happy to accept Paypal (look at everyone on Ebay for example). And there are plenty of vendors of which I would not be willing to pay by bank transfer.

I'm generally expecting to buy 2nd hand stuff any way since the amount of EUR I am looking to spend is not generally enough to cover the cost of a NEW order.

Any way, if I can't find anyone that's fine. Just sick of losing 3% for no reason :-).

• VinnyletjeVinnyletje Member
    edited July 2018

@randvegeta said:

@jackb said:

I think you don't get the point of what @jackb is trying to say. You say you have your money already in EUR on paypal right? Why don't you open a transferwise account, add it to paypal so you can directly withdraw from paypal to transferwise and then proceed with converting to USD or HKD for only 0.5% or well you can transfer it via bank transfer to your vendors directly from transferwise in EUR. The choice is yours.

EDIT: after seeing that it is HK based paypal account I may realise that this may not work oops

Well, I have to disagree. I’m yet to meet a ' tier 1' (by what I mean most direct, a.k.a. cheapest) distributor accepting PayPal - because they sell 'as a wholesale' i.e. at not too high margins they shield themselves from any fraud that comes with CCs or especially PayPal.

Then you have 'tier 2' sellers (by what I mean businesses that buy from distributors for the purpose of reselling) that might accept PayPal, almost always accept CCs, but naturally they have higher margin than 3% - that means that you'll pay more in the cost of the equipment to make PayPal payment method available, which, as you said yourself, defeats the purpose.

We have the same pain - a lot of USD coming in via PayPal, that cannot be cashed in to the bank account as USD directly - as even if the account is USD denominated PayPal will convert to GBP on withdrawal, resulting in double conversion, that we have to either spend for the licenses or simply convert to GBP with them to pay out and buy kit.

Sad reality but it is what it is.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • ZareZare Member, Host Rep

You can try LAmicro - they accept PayPal and sell all sorts of hardware.

Thanked by 2Clouvider randvegeta
  • Mr_TomMr_Tom Member, Host Rep

Not sure if they're wholesale enough or have the right equipment you're after but ebuyer accept PayPal. Probably more aimed at the consumer market though.

Clouvider said: We have the same pain - a lot of USD coming in via PayPal, that cannot be cashed in to the bank account as USD directly - as even if the account is USD denominated PayPal will convert to GBP on withdrawal, resulting in double conversion, that we have to either spend for the licenses or simply convert to GBP with them to pay out and buy kit.

I have no problem with HKD or USD. Can withdraw both. Could help you out with the conversion if you want. Can move money between UK/US/HK free and instant. But I guess we're only talking about 2-2.5% difference, so maybe you're not all that bothered.

Clouvider said: shield themselves from any fraud that comes with CCs or especially PayPal.

One of my UK vendors accepts paypal from 'trusted' buyers, but obviously his Paypal acc is GBP based, so it's the same issue. But we tend to have long relationships with our vendors, and we often have informal 'interest free credit'. One of our vendors in HK is very happy to sell to us now and we pay later. One time we bought like $25k worth of SSDs, and forgot to pay him for like 6 months XD (vendor forgot to send us the invoice).

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Some of my Hardware vendors actually charge me higher when paying via PayPal. Or should I say - their pricing is 3.5% discounted in the price list, when paying via wire.