Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner Competitors
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner Competitors

Are there any competitors that are on the same level as Hetzner for the price of their cloud servers, speed and support in Europe? If so, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also any that have a sexy panel like theirs would be great.

I don't want any providers that aren't reliable like the Delimiter fiasco that happened and issues with Scaleway etc. Also scalability is a must so resizing must be easy (upgrading not downgrading).

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• netcup is probably the closest competitor, not sure about support.

Thanked by 1ariq01
  • Is an OVH VPS not an option?

• hexukhexuk Member

@HostDoc said:
    Is an OVH VPS not an option?

2 of my VPS's went down randomly and i had to do a manual reboot to get them back online (clean install of CentOS 7 was on it so i know 100% it wasn't a pre-existing program). Their support was non existant and didn't respond for 3 days.

• @hexuk said:

@HostDoc said:

2 of my VPS's went down randomly and i had to do a manual reboot to get them back online (clean install of CentOS 7 was on it so i know 100% it wasn't a pre-existing program). Their support was non existant and didn't respond for 3 days.

Yeah, I agree with their non existent support, you'd spend your time better watching paint dry than contacting their support but their services are top notch so long as support is never required.
    Even when it is required, a phone call will ensure a prompt response opposed to sending a ticket.
    I have 3 VPS' and numerous servers with OVH with no problems so far. Once had a VPS crash and a hard drive changed but that would be it.
    Maybe try them again as they are the closet competitor you can find keeping in mind ticket support is useless so always use phone support.

• hexukhexuk Member

@HostDoc said:

@hexuk said:

@HostDoc said:

Yeah, I agree with their non existent support, you'd spend your time better watching paint dry than contacting their support but their services are top notch so long as support is never required.
    Even when it is required, a phone call will ensure a prompt response opposed to sending a ticket.
    I have 3 VPS' and numerous servers with OVH with no problems so far. Once had a VPS crash and a hard drive changed but that would be it.
    Maybe try them again as they are the closet competitor you can find keeping in mind ticket support is useless so always use phone support.

Ok thanks, do you know whether the root partition increases in size when you increase the disk size? As with solusvm it added another partition and you had to jump through hoops to increase the root partition size.

• @hexuk said:

@HostDoc said:

@hexuk said:

@HostDoc said:

Ok thanks, do you know whether the root partition increases in size when you increase the disk size? As with solusvm it added another partition and you had to jump through hoops to increase the root partition size.

I have no idea, never had a reason to alter my VPS', however, their control panel makes it simple to order additional space which I would imagine just scales your existing storage without the need to mount additional partitions.

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

You get a block device which you need to mount to mount to your VPS. This is how OVH extra storage works.

• williewillie Member

Nobody I know of comes near Hetzner's pricing for the bigger instances so if you want those, the best alternative is dedicated servers. At the smaller end their main competitor is OVH but if you pay a bit more there's the usual suspects like DO, Linode, Vultr, etc. I haven't tried Netcup. The main thing I've heard about them is that their stuff works well but actually shutting off a server so you stop getting charged for it requires jumping through hoops.

If you care more about ram than cpu or iops, you could try Scaleway. They have some cheap high-ram vps with slow cpus and crappy network ssd.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member

Nowadays, for a vps, Hetzner and Netcup are probably the best value for money in Europe. Good speeds, excellent and powerful hardware, not overcrowded nodes. My Hetzner vps benchmarks are far better than any competitor for the price, and my netcup "root" servers (aka vps with dedicated cores) can be much better than any low end dedicated server solution.
    I usually wonder how do they manage to do it, when they are not some small one-man summer hosting but very big companies with owned datacenters and thousand of servers on their own...

• williewillie Member

https://www.netcup.eu/vserver/

Wow that is pretty impressive, though billing is monthly, unlike the vps line (https://www.netcup.eu/vserver/vps.php) which have hourly billing but cost a bit more and don't have dedicated cores (something I'm a little bit skeptical of anyway).

If monthly billing is ok and you want HDD storage, it's hard to beat Hetzner auction dedis but the Netcup rootservers do look nice.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@HostDoc said:

You are aware that you are contradicting yourself ?
    In the OP situation especially. Can’t be top notch if it goes down and you can’t get support on it for 3 days.

• @Clouvider said:

@HostDoc said:

You are aware that you are contradicting yourself ?
    In the OP situation especially. Can’t be top notch if it goes down and you can’t get support on it for 3 days.

How?
    Support is not needed for the hardware and network to be top notch. If you include that in your equation then I can understand your statement, but I was not including support as I very clearly pointed out.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

@HostDoc said:
    Support is not needed for the hardware and network to be top notch.

Marking these words.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • @deank said:

@HostDoc said:

Marking these words.

Please do.
    Anyone who uses OVH and expects their support to be good is a moron. Now, if you accept support will be non existent and are well prepared to handle everything yourself, then their services are excellent for the money spent.
    When it comes to hardware faults, their techs are extremely responsive and even this support was not included in what I called top notch.
    OVH's support for anything other than hardware response sucks and most people know this. That does not stop Kimsufi, Soyoustart and OVH server's selling out constantly.

Thanked by 1willie
  • @deank said:

@HostDoc said:

Marking these words.

Man... guess no SLA then there.

Outage on racknone.
    You report it

Wait... there’s no support

So who looks into it?

Etc etc.. sometimes these people....

The bare minimum support you need is HW. To report hardware issues like an outage

And billing to report billing issues.

We don’t need hand holding support the above two. I’m suruprised people do not see the consequences of not having the minimum two support departments.

• @cmsjr123 said:

@deank said:

@HostDoc said:

Marking these words.

Outage on racknone.
    You report it

So who looks into it?

The bare minimum support you need is HW. To report hardware issues like an outage

We don’t need hand holding support the above two. I’m suruprised people do not see the consequences of not having the minimum two support departments.

Read above.

edited July 2018

@HostDoc said:

@cmsjr123 said:

@deank said:

@HostDoc said:

Marking these words.

Outage on racknone.
    You report it

So who looks into it?

Read above.

Read the post I referred you to in my post first and then read your own response, please.

To me, "support" includes a part of engineering crew in charge of maintaining hardware and network glitches.

OVH may have awful ticket support but it doesn't mean the other kind of support isn't there just because you don't see'em.

So, even in context, "Support is not needed for the hardware and network to be top notch," sounds just soo wrong.

It sounds worse out of context.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • HostDocHostDoc Member
    edited July 2018

@Clouvider said:

@HostDoc said:

@cmsjr123 said:

@deank said:

@HostDoc said:

Marking these words.

Outage on racknone.
    You report it

So who looks into it?

Read above.

Read the post I referred you to in my post first and then read your own response, please.

Do you ever stop? When I read threads all I see you do is hound people. No doubt you might be a quality host but don't bash other host for something that has discombobulated you. Why don't you re-read the post you referred to and my subsequent response to maybe have a better understanding of what I was talking about.
    In answer, no, I am not contradicting myself as their general support is pants but their server's are not.
    Now, if you bothered to read what I said about their HW support, you'd see I covered what seemed to be initially worrying you about my response.
    What more do you want me to say on this?

• @deank said:
    To me, "support" includes a part of engineering crew in charge of maintaining hardware and network glitches.

OVH may have awful ticket support but it doesn't mean the other kind of support isn't there just because you don't see'em.

So, even in context, "Support is not needed for the hardware and network to be top notch," sounds just soo wrong.

It sounds worse out of context.

I totally understand you and can only apologise for the context in which I delivered that statement. However, that was not what I meant by any means, just their general support is absolutely useless.

@HostDoc said:

@Clouvider said:

@HostDoc said:

@cmsjr123 said:

@deank said:

@HostDoc said:

Marking these words.

Outage on racknone.
    You report it

So who looks into it?

Read above.

Do you ever stop? When I read threads all I see you do is hound people. No doubt you might be a quality host but don't bash other host for something that has discombobulated you. Why don't you re-read the post you referred to and my subsequent response to maybe have a better understanding of what I was talking about.
    In answer, no, I am not contradicting myself as their general support is pants but their server's are not.
    Now, if you bothered to read what I said about their HW support, you'd see I covered what seemed to be initially worrying you about my response.

Because you’re contradicting yourself, not me.

You’re going personal because you have no other arguments left.

EOT for me ;-).

• mkshmksh Member

@HostDoc said:

@Clouvider said:

@HostDoc said:

@cmsjr123 said:

@deank said:

@HostDoc said:

Marking these words.

Outage on racknone.
    You report it

So who looks into it?

Read above.

Your original post didn't that state that you were talking about the HW/network in a vacuum. Maybe these are top notch but if any problem arises you are screwed so calling the overall service top notch is invalid.

Thanked by 1Clouvider

@HostDoc said:
    I totally understand you and can only apologise for the context in which I delivered that statement. However, that was not what I meant by any means, just their general support is absolutely useless.

It's like saying sex isn't important in a marriage.

In some case, it's true. In some cases, it's not.

• @Clouvider said:

@HostDoc said:

@Clouvider said:

@HostDoc said:

@cmsjr123 said:

@deank said:

@HostDoc said:

Marking these words.

Outage on racknone.
    You report it

So who looks into it?

Read above.

EOT for me ;-).

Ok Clouvider.

Ok Clouvider. To keep this from derailing further, please disregard my initial comment, I hope that I have cleared up what I actually meant by my initial response to the OP. In a nutshell, I was referring to their general support and nothing more.

@HostDoc said:

@Clouvider said:

@HostDoc said:

@Clouvider said:

@HostDoc said:

@cmsjr123 said:

@deank said:

@HostDoc said:

Marking these words.

Outage on racknone.
    You report it

So who looks into it?

Read above.

EOT for me ;-).

Ok Clouvider.

Ok Clouvider. To keep this from derailing further, please disregard my initial comment, I hope that I have cleared up what I actually meant by my initial response to the OP. In a nutshell, I was referring to their general support and nothing more.

And to concede here, I wanted to point I never said that general support is due on an unmanaged service, I agree it’s not.

The end is nigh.

Thanked by 2Clouvider Silvest
  • Ahh yes the usual clouvider on his crusade against anything with better value cringe.

I found that it's best to just get a new server when something breaks and let the broken one expire, so that's what I usually do. It takes only minutes to set up and will be up and running before any provider in the world has even read the support ticket. There is just no value in support when you can fix it yourself with two clicks.

It's like that with everything in this world. $electronic_device breaks? Just buy a new one and don't waste everyone's time.

torrbox said: Ahh yes the usual clouvider on his crusade against anything with better value cringe.

Grow up. Going personal as you have no technical arguments? I figured.

Thanked by 1simonindia
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2018

Came for quality Hetzner alternatives, left with a headache. I will contribute some that are kinda comparable to Hetzner cloud VPS but you won't get much compared to Hetzner's quality.

https://vpsdime.com/
    6GB RAM, 4 Cores, 30GB SSD, 2TB BW @ $7

http://waveride.at/plans
    4GB RAM, 4 Cores, 50GB HDD, 2TB BW @ €5

https://vpshoster.ru
    6GB RAM, 6 Cores, 80GB SSD, Unlm BW @ $11

https://skyhost.ru/services/vps
    4GB RAM, 4 Cores, 60GB SSD, Unlm BW @ $7

http://alphavps.bg
    4GB RAM, 4 Cores, 30GB SSD, 1TB @ €5

• hexukhexuk Member

Thanks guys!