Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Backup And Download
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Backup And Download

Hi I want to start off by saying thankyou. I love the great offers here on lowendbox.com.

I have a vps from bandwagonhost.com offer http://lowendbox.com/blog/bandwagon-host-10year-512mb-openvz-vps-in-arizona-new-york-germany/

anyways I want to create an image of my vps and instead of saving the image locally I want to download it rightaway to my local machine at home.

The vps is running great but only has 2.57 GiB free with 2.93 GiB of space already used. So saving the image to the vps wont be possible.

I would like the simplest script possible or whatever to do the process.

My server is openvz also by the way. The control panel isn't solusvm though like other vps services its this kiwivm system.

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

You can use a wide range of tools to sync the relevant folders and then paste them over an image running the same OS.

• goobertgoobert Member
    edited October 2013

If I rsync will permissions / users / etc all stay same?

Yes, but be sure you are also syncing the users and passwords by getting the relevant folder and overwriting the old ones. Best to do this with the target container offline.

• Could I rsync with something on my local computer at home and make that the target container?

I would not mix a container with a real computer or even xen/kvm due to kernel issues. Most containers use a very similar kernel provided by the OVZ fox, if you try to plaster some directories from a container depending on that kernel on some completely different kernel run by your machine, then chances are it will fail flat.