Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howlong time will take to complete fsck? - HVH Vps crashed
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Howlong time will take to complete fsck? - HVH Vps crashed

Hi LET'ers,

One of my vps from hudsonvalleyhost.com crashed. Its been 4th day and still they didn't fixed it.

Their reply 2 days ago:

"NY12 crashed early in the morning and we are currently working on re-building the RAID array.

VM's are slowly booting however the RAID array is still rebuilding and taking its time.

No ETA here due to the size of the array."

Do you have any idea how long time will take in normal case?

Their support is not helpful. So asking in public forum.

Thanks.

Comments

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited June 2018

Depending on size really.

Can be few hours to weeks. Doesn't help you much, I know, but given lack of hardware info, that's the best answer I can give you.

You are asking us how long a string is without showing us the string, literally.

• Could take weeks, there is no way to tell because we don't know any specifics.

Thanked by 2mksh eversmile_host
  • NickNick Member, Patron Provider

Sadly buf12 is still in a FSCK after an offline RAID rebuild, 4 x 4TB HDD's with HW RAID-10.

Have backups from the last week so debating a wipe and restore at this point. Been in a FSCK state with matrix style text for over 48 hours now :(

Thanked by 1eversmile_host
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited June 2018

deank said: Depending on size really.

Size has little to do with how long it takes to fsck. It's all about the motion.

jarland said: Size has little to do with how long it takes to fsck. It's all about the motion.

Love it :P

• @jarland said:

deank said: Depending on size really.

Size has little to do with how long it takes to fsck. It's all about the motion.

You could say that it depends on how much power (cough) I mean thrust the server needs.

Thanked by 2jar eversmile_host
  • zafouharzafouhar Veteran
    edited June 2018

@eversmile_host said:
    Hi LET'ers,

One of my vps from hudsonvalleyhost.com crashed. Its been 4th day and still they didn't fixed it.

Their reply 2 days ago:

"NY12 crashed early in the morning and we are currently working on re-building the RAID array.

VM's are slowly booting however the RAID array is still rebuilding and taking its time.

No ETA here due to the size of the array."

Do you have any idea how long time will take in normal case?

Their support is not helpful. So asking in public forum.

Thanks.

It depends if they use the same technology as @cociu in which case a month or so :P

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

Have you got a backup? As always option to move to other node and restore back up instead of waiting?

• edited June 2018

WebProject said: Have you got a backup? As always option to move to other node and restore back up instead of waiting?

No, I don't have backup in local but they have last week backup...

Restoration also taking too much time...

It's 5th day and still website is down.

Aren't you a host though? What kind of host doesn't maintain their own backup?

• deank said: Aren't you a host though? What kind of host doesn't maintain their own backup?

We don't take backup's in our local machine for every week,bcoz we have it with our provider.

Server crash happen in rare case, so at the time, have to wait for the server to built again.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • K4Y5K4Y5 Member

@deank said:
    Aren't you a host though? What kind of host doesn't maintain their own backup?

The kind that believes that a smile can last forever, maybe?

• FSCK will run as long as is needed to repair and check the filesystem, so depending on the how large the arrays are on a system, and how long ago the previous FSCK was done, and how much data did change. Disk size also matters. Since it's a VPS node, I believe the disk is much larger, so it may take a lot of time to complete. You need to believe what your host says in this case.

@eversmile_host said:

deank said: Aren't you a host though? What kind of host doesn't maintain their own backup?

We don't take backup's in our local machine for every week,bcoz we have it with our provider.

Server crash happen in rare case, so at the time, have to wait for the server to built again.

Doesn’t matter where the backup stored, you should took daily / weekly / monthly backup off site and on different network, this way you are in control of situations and instead of waiting 5 days do something about it.

Sad thing is I don't think he's gonna learn from this.

• edited July 2018

WebProject said: you should took daily / weekly / monthly backup off site and on different network.

Thanks, we will surely do it once the site is up.. This is the biggest learning for us from this crash..

Btw, It's 6th day and no update from hvh.

• Being that each node is locked to 800Mhz (by default), it's going as fast as it can.

Thanked by 1MasonR
  • TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited July 2018

eversmile_host said: We don't take backup's in our local machine for every week,bcoz we have it with our provider.

So wait, you have trusted all your chips to a ColoCrossing hosting company? Not just your hosting but your back-ups? Are you a masochist? Do you not read these forums?

ALWAYS have offsite back-ups, especially if your choice is to host with a super cheap CC brand.

What are you going to do if during the fsck your data is corrupted and then they find the back-up they have is incomplete? Who are you going to be upset with? The correct answer would be yourself, however, I am sure you would find a way to complain about it being HVH's fault you didn't take an offsite back-up?

Seriously, find a better host and start taking offsite back-ups! The only people I feel bad for, at this point, is the people who trusted you with hosting their sites on an HVH server where you take no offsite back-ups and think this is 'Okay'.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

edited July 2018

@TheLinuxBug said:

eversmile_host said: We don't take backup's in our local machine for every week,bcoz we have it with our provider.

What are you going to do if during the fsck your data is corrupted and then they find the back-up they have is incomplete? Who are you going to be upset with? The correct answer would be yourself, however, I am sure you would find a way to complain about it being HVH's fault you didn't take an offsite back-up?

Now just imagine that the HVH never took any backups or it’s also corrupted as they did stored on the same server/node - meaning you have waited 6 days for nothing and still no update from your provider.

• LeviLevi Member

According to @cociu experience, fsck can take 3+ days straight or even more. Hunt for some sisters in that time.

• jlayjlay Member
    edited July 2018

It'll take a while, depending mostly on how large and fast the disks are, their RAID configuration, and how much damage the filesystems have taken. It's not a quick process, but it's worthwhile to see if you can get most (if not all) of your up-to-date data. Once completed, simply restore what may be missing.

After a fsck is completed, checking your 'lost+found' directories is a good idea to see if you can recover specific inodes that have gone 'missing' (the files won't have their proper names, but you can use tools like file, strings, and cat to help identify their contents/purpose).

This is a good time to look at your architecture and consider adopting high availability practices so that losing one server isn't such an event. For example, put all of your mission critical storage on GlusterFS and take regular backups. This way your data is resilient (spanning multiple servers/disks) and unlikely to go away, but if it does, you still have a backup.

• cociucociu Member

depend of the node , if have many tb can take more than 2 weeks

Thanked by 1pike
  • site is up :)

Thanks HVH.

eversmile_host said: site is up :)

Thanks HVH.

Glad to hear that, apologies for the downtime and applied a free month to your VM with us for your troubles.

Enjoy the new hardware!

This discussion has been closed.