Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedicated hosting provider disk question
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedicated hosting provider disk question

When a hosting provider advertises storage as 2x 4TB would this mean 8 TB or 4 TB (in a RAID setup)?

Thanks.

Comments

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member
    edited June 2018

@juan_attwood said:
    When a hosting provider advertises storage as 2x 4TB would this mean 8 TB or 4 TB (in a RAID setup)?

Thanks.

It's got nothing to do with the provider. Available storage depends on how you set RAID up.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

In RAID0, performance but risk of total data loss in case of any one drive failure, ~8TB.

In RAID1, mirror with bonus of resiliency at the cost of half space, ~4TB.

Ask your provider how this is going to be set up.

• @K4Y5 said:

@juan_attwood said:

Thanks.

It's got nothing to do with the provider. Available storage depends on how you set RAID up.

You mean after the OS is installed? Basically, they are providing 2 4 TB drives and I can configure it to be either 4 TB RAID 1 or 8 TB RAID 0?

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

After it’s kinda messy. Before or while is the answer.

Thanked by 1juan_attwood
  • K4Y5K4Y5 Member
    edited June 2018

@juan_attwood said:

@K4Y5 said:

@juan_attwood said:

Thanks.

You mean after the OS is installed? Basically, they are providing 2 4 TB drives and I can configure it to be either 4 TB RAID 1 or 8 TB RAID 0?

@Clouvider said:
    After it’s kinda messy. Before or while is the answer.

Exactly. You can ask your provider to set RAID up during OS installation, or you can do it yourself if the server management panel supports it, or your server comes with KVMoIP to facilitate remote server management and OS installation.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Remember this though.

Raid (1 or else) is not backup.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • pullangcubopullangcubo Member
    edited June 2018

@K4Y5 said:

I think I came across a provider before that specifically doesn't allow RAID0 (I just can't remember which one), so technically it's not 100% accurate does not provide RAID0 support out of the box, so yeah that is 100% technically correct, regardless of my previous tongue-in-cheek comment ^^

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited June 2018

pullangcubo said: I think I came across a provider before that specifically doesn't allow RAID0 (I just can't remember which one), so technically it's not 100% accurate ^^

Nope, it doesn't work like that. Either you remember exactly which provider, with hard proof in form of links to their TOS mentioning that, or you don't get to "technically" dispute an actually correct statement with some insane bullshit that you invented yourself.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

You can also go without raid and have 2x 4tb disks independent from each other

• @juan_attwood said:

Thanks.

8TB total in RAID setup you will get 4TB

• pullangcubopullangcubo Member
    edited June 2018

@pullangcubo said:
    I think I came across a provider before that specifically doesn't allow RAID0 (I just can't remember which one), so technically it's not 100% accurate does not provide RAID0 support out of the box, so yeah that is 100% technically correct, regardless of my previous tongue-in-cheek comment ^^

@rm_ said:
    Nope, it doesn't work like that. Either you remember exactly which provider, with hard proof in form of links to their TOS mentioning that, or you don't get to "technically" dispute an actually correct statement with some insane bullshit that you invented yourself.

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/2712035/#Comment_2712035

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/2712170/#Comment_2712170

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/2712239/#Comment_2712239

Fine, mea culpa.