Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I have 2 separate servers?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Should I have 2 separate servers?

JohnMiller92JohnMiller92 Member
edited June 2018 in Help

Hello again!

I was curious about something and thought LET would be the best place to get stern and valid responses.

I have a game master server which runs on Crystal (utilizes only 1 core). It will be used only as a match making server. And I did some testing on ChicagoVPS last month, and my results were:

vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
 model name      : QEMU Virtual CPU version (cpu64-rhel6)
 cpu MHz         : 2199.998
 RESULT with 6 second ping timer @ 13000 clients (TCP CONN) ===> 33-47% CPU USAGE.

13000 players is probably more than my game will EVER get. And that CPU usage imo, probably justifies the need for a dedicated server. Thanks to Woot and PnZ Hosting for the client connections! :)

The kicker is, I also have a customized fluxbb forum on it as well. Which utilizes nginx, php, and mysql.

The only real table in mysql that would get big is rpg_user_items. It's indexed properly and basically just stores all the items for players. I did some math earlier, and it's around 3MB per 18,000 rows of data. So around 166MB foreach 1,000,000 items.

Basically, you get the idea. It's going to be on the same MYSQL server as the forum. If I get a dedicated server, I am pretty sure I would be fine to have the master game server running, and a small lightweight forum on it too. I was looking at the KS-7 (Intel i3-2130) Kimsufi, but it doesn't have an SSD AFAIK. I am not sure if that will be a hindrance for the forum, but for the master game server I think it will...

Another problem is, cloudflare will become essentially useless because a player when logging in through the game, could just get the ip of the master server, since it's on the same server. If I buy a separate server for the forum, I can stick that baby behind cloudfare and really not have to worry (if I take the proper precautions to hide the ip). But then I would also have to manage that one as well! So I am just not sure what to do, and my mind is a mess.

Thank you for reading, and any insight/advice is appreciated

Comments

• Remove that DP. It belongs to @jarland

• @codetech12 said:
    Remove that DP. It belongs to @jarland

No it does not. Jarland took it from someone else and theres multiple people with that pic.

• @stefeman said:

@codetech12 said:
    Remove that DP. It belongs to @jarland

No it does not. Jarland took it from someone else and theres multiple people with that pic.

he is thief

• JohnMiller92JohnMiller92 Member
    edited June 2018

Haha, yeah. I asked about that in the cest pit sometime ago, I should be fine I think lol

• emreemre Member, LIR

codetech12 said: Remove that DP. It belongs to @jarland

isn't that guy @bharatb ?

• BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider

@emre said:

codetech12 said: Remove that DP. It belongs to @jarland

isn't that guy @bharatb ?

It's AgentMishra or something that's not me lol.

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

Calm down guys, the photo belongs to agentmishra

• you all thieves

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

It would be best to get two separate servers, e. g. one VPS for the web and a dedi for the game. Based on what you described, you don't even need a dedi though, VDS might be fine.

What are your requirements in terms od RAM, storage and budget for the game server?

Another option is to shove everything on the Kimsufi, and use IPTables to allow web traffic only from CloudFlare. Keep in mind that CloudFlare is not a solution to all problems. People can still DDoS the site, and this naturally means that the game would go down as well.

edited June 2018

@FHR Thanks :O. Max Budget is around $30 for both services if possible. Ram: 1GB and probably 512MB or 1GB for the web server. Storage:10-25GB.

I guess I'm leaning towards two servers then :D

@JohnMiller92 said:
    @FHR Thanks :O. Max Budget is around $30 for both services if possible. Ram: 1GB and probably 512MB or 1GB for the web server. Storage:10-25GB.

Seems doable. In which location?

edited June 2018

@FHR said:

@JohnMiller92 said:

Central USA would be the best really. But if I do the two server route, I just remembered, I will need to split up my database a bit since the rpg_user_items is in the forum one. I guess I should buy them from the same host too right? So don't have to worry about another host?

@JohnMiller92 said:

@FHR said:

@JohnMiller92 said:

Central USA would be the best really. But if I do the two server route, I just remembered, I will need to split up my database a bit since the rpg_user_items is in the forum one. I guess I should buy them from the same host too right? So don't have to worry about another host?

If you want to use the database from both the game and the webapp, they should be as close as possible, ideally within the same datacenter.

How about BuyVM Slices?

Thanked by 1JohnMiller92
  • I for one would split up the forum and put it on one server. On the other have your master server. You could easily do this with a dedicated server running proxmox or two vms.

The reason being is that if an exploit is in one, they can't access the others critical functions.

Thanked by 1JohnMiller92
  • How about BuyVM Slices?

Was looking at that, but am worried about my CPU usage (see first post). Would that trigger them to basically tell me to move to a dedi? That's assuming if I get 13,000 players (which will prob never happen however LOL)

@JohnMiller92 said:

How about BuyVM Slices?

Was looking at that, but am worried about my CPU usage (see first post). Would that trigger them to basically tell me to move to a dedi? That's assuming if I get 13,000 players (which will prob never happen however LOL)

Don't worry, the CPU at BuyVM is dedicated.

• @FHR said:

@JohnMiller92 said:

How about BuyVM Slices?

Don't worry, the CPU at BuyVM is dedicated.

I see, well that answers that.. I guess buying from the same host does ease off the worrying factor of "managing another vps on another host". I should be fine I guess, I overthink a lot of stuff >_<