Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VestaCP again hacked. UPDATE IMMEDIATELY! - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VestaCP again hacked. UPDATE IMMEDIATELY!

Comments

• FalzoFalzo Member

@psylenced said:

@cassa said:

@Neoon said:
    https://forum.vestacp.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&p=71465#p71465

"Security fix for API hash check"

Sounds bad.

welp

And what that means it the former fix was never actually tested?

no, it means that this former fix was poorly coded and opened another hole. the auth check worked/works if you provide a user, unless else ...

• @jarland said:
    (some even did chargebacks). Sometimes people suck. I'm never doing it again.

When you got those chargebacks, did Paypal take the decisions in your favor or the client?
    I don't know why the client doesn't understand anything and especially that he can't get free management too for his server for a service that's already sold cheap. And fucking Paypal will always take the decision in the favor of the client.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@psylenced said:

@cassa said:

@Neoon said:
    https://forum.vestacp.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&p=71465#p71465

"Security fix for API hash check"

Sounds bad.

welp

And what that means it the former fix was never actually tested?

Depends on how you look at it. They may have tested that the fix patched the particular issue they were trying to fix... but they certainly did not test whether it introduced any new issues.

(In my book, that counts as "not testing the fix".)

• Well, I guess it's time to move on with ispconfig ...

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • one of my servers with vestacp just went offline and cant seem to get it back online

• @roshan91 said:
    one of my servers with vestacp just went offline and cant seem to get it back online

Hosting provider?
    this shouldnt make the vps go offline. probably, network went down

• @codetech12 said:

@roshan91 said:
    one of my servers with vestacp just went offline and cant seem to get it back online

Hosting provider?

online.net. even rescue mode, kvm over ip doesnt work

• kbapkbap Member

In DC2? They are upgrading a router at the moment (cf. https://status.online.net/index.php?do=details&task_id=1297)

Thanked by 1NanoG6
  • emghemgh Member

@Radi Good thing you were careful and keept the panel offline!

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member

@kbap said:
    In DC2? They are upgrading a router at the moment (cf. https://status.online.net/index.php?do=details&task_id=1297)

Just in time when I moved one of our busy website into it, and I thought the server crippled. Thanks for the heads up

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

@emgh Thank you. I do work for users that request any specific action done on it(bring it up for 2-3 minutes, perform action, shut it down). I will really consider moving everyone on Vesta to ISPConfig if it looks like the only option to go.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • codetech12codetech12 Member
    edited June 2018

@roshan91 said:

@codetech12 said:

@roshan91 said:

Hosting provider?

Scaleway isn't good for uptime. my server used to go offline a lot. Restarting the server and server will not start again. I had to contact support.
    and latency used to go from 150ms to 650ms

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@Radi said:
    @emgh Thank you. I do work for users that request any specific action done on it(bring it up for 2-3 minutes, perform action, shut it down). I will really consider moving everyone on Vesta to ISPConfig if it looks like the only option to go.

If you are looking for a free and stable panel you can't go wrong with it. Donate/pay smth like 25€/6months for vip member in their forum howtoforge and get your questions answered more quickly by the staff. However free users still get replies. Pretty nice community there ;)

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@kbap said:

So extremely pro. Router upgrade during the day...

• ZshenZshen Member

@Clouvider said:

When your customer base is international, there is no "pro" time for maintenance as any time is painful to someone. I'd rather they do it in the middle of the day so they at least have the support if anything were to go belly up. Much quicker to resolution instead of needing to call people in the middle of the night.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Zshen said:

@Clouvider said:

When your customer base is international, there is no "pro" time for maintenance as any time is painful to someone. I'd rather they do it in the middle of the day so they at least have the support if anything were to go belly up. Much quicker to resolution instead of needing to call people in the middle of the night.

Aye, that's usually the reason. Do it when you have the best coverage of techs available.

@Zshen said:

@Clouvider said:

Virtually every hosting company is international. Server is in France I’d be amazed if more people used it for business outside as opposed to inside of the business hours, hence no, not pro.

• @jarland said:

@Zshen said:

@Clouvider said:

Aye, that's usually the reason. Do it when you have the best coverage of techs available.

Was about to say the same

• @codetech12 said:

@roshan91 said:

@codetech12 said:

@roshan91 said:

Hosting provider?

Scaleway isn't good for uptime. my server used to go offline a lot. Restarting the server and server will not start again. I had to contact support.
    and latency used to go from 150ms to 650ms

its not a scaleway server, its a dedicated server from online.net. anyway problem was they were replacing a router and server came back online after 20~ minutes

• No I won't update and you can't make me.

Thanked by 1mksh
  • @AuroraZ said:
    No I won't update and you can't make me.

Moron spotted! Trying to act like a cool guy

@AuroraZ said:

Thanks for the coin!

Thanked by 1mksh
  • jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

I wouldn't hit too hard on any of the panels. Looking from a developers perspective
    doing a lot of work in the security field none of the panels is anything but ridiculous wrt. security.

I'm afraid we repeated the old Unix mistake. When it was designed and built, security beyond a simple login barrier just wasn't a concern. That is not to say that those developers were stupid or did a bad job. It simply wasn't a concern. It seems that the panel and many other web related software for that matter was designed and created in a phase where security beyond some simple mechanisms wasn't a concern or at least very much less a concern than pushing out results and gaining market share.

The problem now is that it's VERY hard, if possible at all, to add security later on. Maybe the most reasonable solution to recommend to providers is to use the panels just as a front end and to rip the guts out and put them into a backend engine.

• @vonlz said:
    I think that cPanel - Direct Admin are the best Hosting Controller. You should backup and transfer to another control panel

They are not free and open source :/

• @jarland said:

@AuroraZ said:

Thanks for the coin!

Anything for you man!

@codetech12 said:

@vonlz said:
    I think that cPanel - Direct Admin are the best Hosting Controller. You should backup and transfer to another control panel

They are not free and open source :/

But are clearly safer to run - as practise has shown.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Principle vs practicality?

If it's a business, I'd choose latter.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I had to use vesta the other day for the first time, I was left with a "huh" feeling, not sure why anyone chooses it, there are other free and superior options available.

AnthonySmith said: I had to use vesta the other day for the first time, I was left with a "huh" feeling, not sure why anyone chooses it, there are other free and superior options available.

It's the most visually attractive free panel (without free meaning "until X then license") as well as the most simplistic one to modify for customizations.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

jarland said: It's the most visually attractive free panel (without free meaning "until X then license") as well as the most simplistic one to modify for customizations.

Fair enough, I would have thought vitualmin offers this with a more mature codebase? I could be very wrong, my use of free panels is limited to be fair.