Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HostSlim down
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HostSlim down

itenaitena Member

its down for 12h+
last twit: @HostSlim All servers are demounted at the old datacenter and will be on-route to the new datacenter within 15 minutes.

Comments

• TomTom Member

Well, yea? Sounds like they're moving dc's..

• itenaitena Member

is 16+ hours reasonable downtime for moving? (btw said about 15 mins)

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

15 minutes to move DC's lol?

I very much doubt they said that.

Seriously, it would take me 15 minutes to move my PC upstairs.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Tom said:
    Well, yea? Sounds like they're moving dc's..

Given the comments on twitter they didn't send any notice even though they claim otherwise. Multiple clients claim no heads up what so ever.

@itena said:
    is 16+ hours reasonable downtime for moving? (btw said about 15 mins)

If it was a long drive but if it really is in the same city (the 15 minute claim says such) it shouldn't be 16 hours.

The initial 'everything is going down' tweet and the 'back in a jiffy' tweet are an hour apart so you can figure a half dozen racks or so.

Unless they completely lost all of their router/switch configurations in the move (which would really suck) it shouldn't be taking 16 hours.

Francisco

• TomTom Member
    edited June 2018

Francisco said: Given the comments on twitter they didn't send any notice even though they claim otherwise. Multiple clients claim no heads up what so ever.

>

Oh... that's shitty

• kbapkbap Member

From the tweet:

will be on-route to the new dc within 15 minutes

So my take is that it's not a 15min drive, but just the time for them to load them in the truck and drive off.

Thanked by 1WebProject
  • I guess 'on-route' means they'll be on road within next 15 mins. This excludes time for transportation and setting up servers.

Thanked by 1WebProject
  • IshaqIshaq Member

They said it's at least a 1 hour drive, plus the DC is 70 meters above the ground.

Thanked by 1uxtvdl
  • skbenterpriseskbenterprise Member, Patron Provider

@Ishaq said:
    They said it's at least a 1 hour drive, plus the DC is 70 meters above the ground.

That DC is in a tower, see:

Reminds me of the ServerAxis unannounced Miami DC move, which in reality turned out to be the repo men taking back their hardware.

Thanked by 3torrbox sin WebProject
  • damn this sucks, can't reach them either. I Guess the only thing we can do right now is to wait

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited June 2018

15 minutes to move from one DC to another? lol @ Lowendmoving.

I've seen a DC relocating taking a week in the worst case.

• @deank said:
    15 minutes to move from one DC to another? lol @ Lowendmoving.

I've seen a DC relocating taking a week in the worst case.

They said it would be on its way/leaving for the new dc within 15 minutes.

Link to tweet to avoid confusion:

Thanked by 1emgh
  • looks like overnight move to screw the upstream(serverius)

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2018

@skbenterprise said:

@Ishaq said:

That DC is in a tower, see:

Interesting, seems like Alticom repurposed a TV tower and that's where Hostslim is located now.

EDIT: It's a 21 minute drive from Serverius to Alticom.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

AnthonySmith said: 15 minutes to move DC's lol?

deank said: I've seen a DC relocating taking a week in the worst case.

I've moved DCs with zero downtime. Not a single lost packet. Of course, we had both old and new at the same time and just moved VMs.

Now sure, that was a big enterpri$e...but I've I've also moved VMs from one DC to another on a lowendhost (@KuJoe). There was downtime, but it was on the order of minutes. And I could do it as often as I wanted.

There's no technical barrier to moving VMs from one DC to another ("moving DCs" from the customer perspective) with very small downtime.

Of course, when you're a one man shop and your margin is 10 cents a month and you have to drive the server over...

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor
    edited June 2018

@raindog308 said:

AnthonySmith said: 15 minutes to move DC's lol?

deank said: I've seen a DC relocating taking a week in the worst case.

I've moved DCs with zero downtime. Not a single lost packet. Of course, we had both old and new at the same time and just moved VMs.

Now sure, that was a big enterpri$e...but I've I've also moved VMs from one DC to another on a lowendhost (@KuJoe). There was downtime, but it was on the order of minutes. And I could do it as often as I wanted.

There's no technical barrier to moving VMs from one DC to another ("moving DCs" from the customer perspective) with very small downtime.

Of course, when you're a one man shop and your margin is 10 cents a month and you have to drive the server over...

Sounds like they're moving their hardware from one DC to another, not just moving VMs between one rented server to another.

I'd imagine they have at least a dozen or so full racks. And it sounds like things were done hastily (given the lack of notice), so I doubt they did much prep work to ease the transition.

• Can't we just be happy that for a short period of time we will receive no emails about offers from them, its ridiculous the amount of times i get email and i dont even have services with them.

Thanked by 1Termiet
  • All servers are demounted at the old datacenter and will be on-route to the new datacenter within 15 minutes.

Sounds like he's grabbing a bite to eat before he gets into the car to start the drive, instead of saying that itll be up and fixed in 15 mins.

• itenaitena Member

nice...

@HostSlim All servers have now been mounted at our new location and are being powered on. More information follows.

• itenaitena Member

still down, power on need 24h+ more...

• What did you guys expect from HostSlayer? Enjoy your service.

I had to sign in for a last time to make this comment.

• letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider

@itena said:
    still down, power on need 24h+ more...

Maybe something goes wrong? And they need time to fix!

• itenaitena Member
    edited June 2018

key900 said: Maybe something goes wrong? And they need time to fix!

its ok, but write some words about it

• letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider

@itena said:

key900 said: Maybe something goes wrong? And they need time to fix!

its ok, but write some words about it

Yes keep your clients in the dark not good idea or even yourself if you are an client with someone els.

• sagarvaisagarvai Member
    edited June 2018

they are up now (atleast for me)

• They claim to have given a notice a month in advance but I haven't heard anything. There is also nothing mentioned about scheduled downtime in their facebook and twitter pages. So obviously that is a lie.

I Only found out when monitors alerted me that the servers are down. 48 hours of downtime is never acceptable, but especially when it's unscheduled and when you hear nothing from the company. This is EXTREMELY unprofessional.

When I complained they blocked me on Twitter and facebook. I am definitely moving and recommend you all do the same. I will also try to warn others not to do business with them. I left reviews in trustpilot and urge you all to do the same. You will be helping the public.

• itenaitena Member

sagarvai said: they are up now (atleast for me)

can you login in control panel?

Zappatta said: They claim to have given a notice a month in advance but I haven't heard anything.

you will be able to check in their billing portal when it is up, on the right hand side under 'Hello, name!' click Email History.

• sagarvaisagarvai Member
    edited June 2018

@itena said:

sagarvai said: they are up now (atleast for me)

can you login in control panel?

no just my server and ips are up.