Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is your to-go Docker Backup?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What is your to-go Docker Backup?

Ciao, i'm starting to use more and more containers on my servers. Last project a dockerized MailCow, suggested right here on this website.

Since this project will keep my email, i would like to start backing up my docker containers systematically, will all the bells and whistles:

• full + incremental (where possibile)
  • alerts on failed job
  • some sort of monitoring on backup jobs
  • etc

what are you guys using for this? any issues you encountered and willing to share with us, while backing up containers?

thank you,
S

Comments

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

Don't store data in your Docker containers.

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

Any important data in containers, you should use volume mounts and include in your normal machine backups.

• @FHR said:
    Don't store data in your Docker containers.

Foey, no better place to store my data than in a fragile container. What next, you going to tell me that I should peel my banana before I eat it or wash my hands after taking a #2 degree pit stop?

• There's definitely worth in backing up your configurations (like Docker compose files) and other such, but if you're attempting to backup contents in an ephemeral containers, you should be using host volume mounts and backing up data from there.

• MailCow is a dockerized mail server. It uses 6 docker volumes ,so yeah im on the right track.

Aside this, which is obvioussly no one will ever store data inside ephemeral containers, what is the best practice to backup docker volumes?

A usual linux tool like rsnapshot, Borg, bacula etc..or anything fancier? Any tool you know with vertical experience on docker volume backup?

Thank you people :-)

• agiaagia Member

You should check out volumerize https://github.com/blacklabelops/volumerize
    I use it to upload my docker volumes to b2, works very nicely

Thanked by 1vimalware