Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Open Source and Donations - who have you given to?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Open Source and Donations - who have you given to?

Yesterday I made me first monetary donations to Open Source projects after years of feeling like a leech - I only sent $10 to Debian through SPI and $10 to the OpenBSD foundation since they always need the money.

Which projects have you actually donated to in the past and/or continue to support?

Comments

• blackblack Member
    edited October 2013

Wikipedia back in 2011 (close enough right?)

• Regular donations go to:

• Linux Mint
    • Arch Linux
    • FSF
    • FSFe
    • EFF
    • Linux outlaws
    • Jupiter Broadcasting
    • Debian
    • VIM (Uganda thingy)
    • Mozilla
    • Bits of Freedom

Monthy budget for donations is about $ 100...

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • Wikipedia.

• Wikipedia - every year since 2007, usually 10~30$ each year.

• I think I gave Wikipedia a buck or two a while back

• fapvpsfapvps Member
    edited October 2013

This year:

Webmin
    AFICK
    EFF

• I haven't done any cash donations until now :(
    I donate resources usually - like public debian mirror, public CentOS mirror, public slackware mirror and some others.

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • If EFF counts, I think I have donated at least $50 thru humblebundle

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited October 2013

Wikimedia about 15$ each year.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

In order:
    Debian, EFF, Apache Foundation. EFF counts due to their support for OS in general, patent fight, innovation, etc. I am not sure but I think they also sponsor Tor in a way or another.
    Sadly, nothing to wikipedia. I think I will do it one day, I only donate anonymously 100 Eur a year through a proxy account.

Thanked by 1GM2015
  • taronyutaronyu Member
    edited October 2013

@Maounique said:
    In order:
    Debian, EFF, Apache Foundation. EFF counts due to their support for OS in general, patent fight, innovation, etc. I am not sure but I think they also sponsor Tor in a way or another.
    Sadly, nothing to wikipedia. I think I will do it one day, I only donate anonymously 100 Eur a year through a proxy account.

You are really serious about your privacy on the net aren't you? :o

@rds100 What is your average bandwith usage on a mirror?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited October 2013

I am an FSF associate member ($120/yr), used to also be an EFF member, but stopped when they began promoting Bitcoin. Wanna push that fantasy money scam, won't get any real money from me (also via HIB).

And btw while Wikipedia is useful and nice/peachy on the surface, underneath it's actually a disgusting cesspool of cliques and undercover politics, it's beyond belief anyone would pay to support that corrupt system (until they fix their core problems, but they do nothing, and the head guy silently approves, only begging for more money on his ads).

• @rm_ said:
    I am an FSF associate member ($120/yr)

Robbed, sockets also filled.

used to also be an EFF member, but stopped when they began promoting Bitcoin. Wanna push that fantasy money scam, won't get any real money from me

Bitcoin is an alternate currency you probably hate black people and jews too.

And btw while Wikipedia is useful and nice/peachy on the surface, underneath it's actually a disgusting cesspool of cliques and undercover politics, it's beyond belief anyone would pay to support that corrupt system (until they fix their core problems, but they do nothing, and the head guy silently approves, only begging for more money on his ads).

^ QFT This part is actually true.

Lastly I happily donate to the EFF who gladly takes my succumb of the earth money made on the backs of people just like this poster!

• @rm_ said:
    I am an FSF associate member ($120/yr), used to also be an EFF member, but stopped when they began promoting Bitcoin. Wanna push that fantasy money scam, won't get any real money from me (also via HIB).

Oh hey, you must be me, these are the exact reasons I won't give money to either the FSF or Wikipedia

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Truecrypt

• You all can start making donations to www.ekaaty.org

We from Ekaaty Linux build open source software, this is our greatest contribution. I already donated to other projects (Debian) but my biggest donation is the big bunch of time that I spend on our projects (development and teaching).

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I've given to OpenBSD.

I gave to the FSF at one point but never did again, as I got tired of the nonstop politics and Stallman's personality. I agree with a fair amount of what Stallman has to say, and I think the GPL is an excellent idea, but the whole puritanism and Stallman Hath Spoken nature of how the FSF operates turned me off. Still, I have nothing against them really.

I would never give money to Wikipedia, for reasons listed above. Also, they have not exactly been frugal with their resources. Their begging campaigns are also obnoxious...I really never want to see heavy metal dude's Personal Appeal again. And finally, I just don't believe in Wikipedia's mission.

I don't get the EFF criticism. If you don't like Bitcoin, fine, but the EFF does a lot more. I should probably give them money.

In general, though, I give my money to animal welfare charities. Humans are bollocks.

• I have never donated a cent. But I have created open source plugins for WordPress and templates for Serendipity.

I also dont like Stallman, but the ideas are ok as long as dont get pushed to extremes.
    As for wikipedia. I couldnt care less about how their research and resources come up, I followed a simple rule to check it: Where i can consider myself an expert, I checked and, since I found myself largely agreeing (more than 90%) I can assume the rest is more or less in that line and i dont care about anything else than the content. How they put it there, doesnt matter to me.

• @rm_ said:

I donate to Wikipedia because it has been a very useful resource that I have taken advantage of frequently over the years. Saved me a lot of time and money. I have no idea about cliques , politics, etc. and, frankly, don't care and will continue to donate $10/year as long as "that corrupt system" continues to be such a useful resource. But, hey, that's just me ;)

• OpenBSD. They do a great job.
    Mozilla Foundation, long time ago, before or around Firefox 1.0.
    FSF 120$/y. member for years. Whatever Stallman, no FSF means no GCC, so basically no free unix nor linux.
    FFII (Foundation for a Free Information Infrastructure). They try to do an excellent job against software patents and other key issues at european level.

• @Maounique said:
    I also dont like Stallman, but the ideas are ok as long as dont get pushed to extremes.

Pretty sure a man who writes things like this probably has an inability to not take his ideas to extremes:

Dutch pedophiles have formed a political party to campaign for legalization.

I am skeptical of the claim that voluntarily pedophilia harms children. The arguments that it causes harm seem to be based on cases which aren't voluntary, which are then stretched by parents who are horrified by the idea that their little baby is maturing.

edited October 2013

It may be possible, all parents are happy their kids are more intelligent for their age, but do not wish to accept that early maturization involves other aspects too. Since the subject is taboo there are no serious people researching the matter so I guess we will never know. Statistics point out his ideas as plausible:
    http://www.citizenlink.com/2010/06/17/teen-sexual-behavior-quick-facts/
    Many teen lives are destroyed because they are found having consensual sex with each other and chances of being the same age are slim, therefore one is condemned.
    Serious psychology should be done under serious independent surveillance, otherwise, everything on the theme is pure propaganda.
    That being said, I dont see how this is extreme, the man expresses an opinion, he might be wrong, but how do we know he is if the research is largely lacking as engaging in this research is walking in a minefield ? Even if he is wrong, since when being wrong means you are an extremist ? He didnt engage in bombing abortion clinics, gay bars or churches, nor encouraged anyone to do so, did he ?
    I still dont like the man, but this has nothing to do with his ideas or if he is right or wrong, he is certainly right about the free software, but wrong about the proprietary "obfuscated" code in my view, but I dont like him as a person, seems slightly deranged and in a crusade.

I believe @jarland is wrong, but this does not mean i hate him, in fact i like him while i hate Aldryic even when he is right, it is the kind of person I am evaluating, not a bunch of ideas.

• agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

@texteditor said:
    Yesterday I made me first monetary donations to Open Source projects after years of feeling like a leech - I only sent $10 to Debian through SPI and $10 to the OpenBSD foundation since they always need the money.

Which projects have you actually donated to in the past and/or continue to support?

it nice to see one more donation coming to OSP.

openbsd is a great project, and would surely be requireing lots of donations, keep up the good work.

just one thought passed by my mind, you did not mention, since when were you using open source softwares and just made a donation "yesterday"

although you mentioned "after years", but how many years?

i was just curious to know...

• Well, in the sense that I've been using OpenSSH for like a decade now since I was in highschool.

I really feel guilty about not giving more over the years

• I have donated to WordPress and Craftysyntax. :)

• Wikipedia, Freedombox

• agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

@texteditor said:
    Well, in the sense that I've been using OpenSSH for like a decade now since I was in highschool.

I really feel guilty about not giving more over the years

i liked the way you admin.

never feel guilty about that, every thing is destined, least you realized after around a decade, there would be people around, who do not realize even after celebrating the silver jubilee of using OSP.

I feel its very rightly said, "the morning begins when you wake up!"