Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

(docker) container registry in EU
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

(docker) container registry in EU

I'm looking for a place to store docker containers in EU.

I currently use Hetzner Cloud and Docker Hub, but based on benchmarks posted here wrt network speeds, it seems like Docker Hub is pushing my images over to the US.

The same is true with Gitlab. I get around 10MB/s with both, and since my images are in the 15-20GB range, this is way too slow.

Google, Aws, and Azure are out of the question as they charge 100x normal rates for bandwidth.

Comments

• agiaagia Member

last said: my images are in the 15-20GB range

Ergh... Can I ask you what are you running? Just curious, I've never seen an image of that size... Usually docker images are meant to be small (<1Gb) is there a particular reason why you have such a big final image?

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

Judging by the size is seems like you are storing data in the images? If so, do NOT do this.

Thanked by 1Tom
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

You can give one of our NVMe Dedicated Servers a try, it should work better with a dedicated high performance storage. We also offer great deals on the network :-).

• lastlast Member

@Zen said:

last said: Hetzner Cloud

Seems like you already have your answer

I can run my own registry, but I then I don't get the durability of an external offering, and I'll have to deal with disk full issues.

It's a hassle that I'm happy to not have.

I'm producing images at maybe 10G/day, and an LRU-ish system like docker hub is far better than roll-your-own. The largest storage option at Hetzner Cloud is 240G. Also that's EUR 30/month while Docker Hub is $7/month.

• lastlast Member
    edited June 2018

@FHR said:
    Judging by the size is seems like you are storing data in the images? If so, do NOT do this.

I'm mostly not, though I do have some large models.

Also, why not store immutable data in docker containers?

But as to the breakdown, in my largest image of 22G, about 10G are standard deep learning models. On top of that 6G are my own models.

Then 1.5G is language support for language #1

I also see that there is around 3-4G of garbage, but that's <20% :-)