Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Your favorite benchmark script/s
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Your favorite benchmark script/s

What is your go to benchmark script for servers? Maybe you have a few to test different areas. I use Bench.sh and Nench.sh You get all the information about your setup, i/o speeds, network speed tests and Nench.sh does a few CPU tests (hashing, compressing and encrypting).

Any else that i should be using?

Thanked by 1mtsbatalha

Comments

• imokimok Member

Geekbench. I actually don't know how to read all of its output but works for comparison

Thanked by 1yomero
  • bench.sh

• Speedtest-cli and bench.sh if I want to have more info than just a bandwidth.

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

./cpuminer for CPU benchmark

• atomiatomi Member

serverbench from @K4Y5 since I mostly care about bandwidth

• For windows I stick to CPU-Z, so much info tightly neatly portrayed. Really simple never had a disfunctionality for me.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited June 2018

Obviously my own vpsbench.

Vpsbench however is not a "script" (but a compiled program) and its BIG advantage is also the reason why I created it: it's VPS friendly and plays nice on VPSs. Plus it gives you more realistic, true, precise, and relevant numbers.

Vpsbench allows you to

• (a) get system info
    • (b) benchmark the processor and memory (both single and multi core)
    • (c) benchmark the disk
    • (d) benchmark networking

plus of course all of the above in 1 run and without creating trouble on the node.

Thanked by 2HostDoc Chuck
  • eva2000eva2000 Veteran

Latest addition I am working on is automated Nginx HTTP/2 HTTPS benchmarking for both RSA 2048bit and ECC 256bit SSL certificate based HTTPS sites https://community.centminmod.com/threads/post-share-your-centmin-mod-nginx-http-2-https-benchmarks.14832/. Hardly anyone seems to be testing HTTP/2 HTTPS as opposed to usual HTTP/1.1 HTTPS testing.

Thanked by 2pullangcubo vovler
  • i like Bench.sh

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

Serverscope.io

• My favorite is bench.sh

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited June 2018

Geekbench. And whatever that doesn't use Unixbench, seriously that thing is annoying.

And even some simple things like this one (by someone around here some years ago):

time perl -e 'for (1..100000000) { 999999/5 }'

• SlushySlushy Member

My favorite benchmark script is the one on @FlamesRunner's signature.

Thanked by 1FlamesRunner
  • eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited June 2018

Just updated my sysbench.sh benchmark script to add Ubuntu/Debian support - originally written just for CentOS/Centmin Mod usage https://github.com/centminmod/centminmod-sysbench

sysbench 1.0.x install tested only on Ubuntu 16.0.4/18.04 LTS so far. Results are in summary format, CSV and Github Markdown table formats - demo runs displayed here.

each benchmark option/run has full logging to /home/sysbench outlined at https://github.com/centminmod/centminmod-sysbench#sysbenchsh-logging

Thanked by 1corbpie
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Real use case scenario or... no point really ?

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited June 2018

@Clouvider said:
    Real use case scenario or... no point really ?

Question directed at my sysbench.sh ? or in general ? sysbench fileio and mysql benchmarks can be tuned for usage scenarios. Percona, Oracle MySQL and MariaDB all use sysbench for benchmarking databases.

• @Slushy said:
    My favorite benchmark script is the one on @FlamesRunner's signature.

F you and @flamerunner for his script:)

• My favorite is: http://serverscope.io/

Thanked by 2Chuck Ympker
  • shellshell Member

no need to benchmark, because it will always idle :)

Thanked by 1chocolateshirt
  • jacklyjackly Member

bench.sh

• UKCC1UKCC1 Member

I just found a quick and dirty command you can run on any linux system to check cpu performance without needing to install anything extra.

dd if=/dev/zero bs=1M count=1024 | md5sum

Here is the results from when I ran it on my VPS with Alpharacks which is running dog slow

1024+0 records in
    1024+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 13.3402 s, 80.5 MB/s

Those numbers should be around 3 to 4 seconds to do that calculation with 280 - 300 MB/s so as you can see this is waaay slower than it should be.
    I have used this to demonstrate to the support at Alpharacks how there is an underlying issue with the host server causing huge CPU bottlenecks on my VPS.

• v3ngv3ng Member, Patron Provider
  • @UKCC1 said:
    I just found a quick and dirty command you can run on any linux system to check cpu performance without needing to install anything extra.

dd if=/dev/zero bs=1M count=1024 | md5sum

Here is the results from when I ran it on my VPS with Alpharacks which is running dog slow

1024+0 records in
    1024+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 13.3402 s, 80.5 MB/s

Those numbers should be around 3 to 4 seconds to do that calculation with 280 - 300 MB/s so as you can see this is waaay slower than it should be.
    I have used this to demonstrate to the support at Alpharacks how there is an underlying issue with the host server causing huge CPU bottlenecks on my VPS.

This is thread necro. 80MB/s likely isn't bottlenecking your CPU, or who them the problem. You need something checking your IO latency. Like ioping or something.

• jurevejureve Member

bench.sh +1 ;)

• Does bench.sh work for NVMe IO test. I get different results from hdparm and bench though.