Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to check specification
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to check specification

Hello guys I wanted to know what is syntax lines to check specification of vps provided by vps provider and also what is simple and best test to know speed of downloading and uploading in vps.

Also tell me what are good things to check first when provider gives vps.

Comments

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited June 2018

@Rockfiles said:
    Hello guys I wanted to know what is syntax lines to check specification of vps provided by vps provider and also what is simple and best test to know speed of downloading and uploading in vps.

What do you mean by "what is syntax lines to check specification"?

Edit: I think I know what you mean. If you're looking to see what your VPS has, either ask your VPS provider, or learn how to use simple commands such as:

• df -h to check the amt. of space you have
    • cat /proc/cpuinfo to check your CPU and the # of cores
    • free -g to check available memory
    • etc

Edit 2: If you want to do a Speedtest, you can use speedtest-cli, or use common benchmarks (bench.sh, etc) that will show you how fast your connection is.

Thanked by 1Rockfiles
  • K4Y5K4Y5 Member

@Rockfiles said:

If you have to ask, you are just not ready to manage a Linux environment on your own, and are more likely to end up as a part of a botnet.

Do yourself a favor and stick with shared hosting offered by some reputed company.

Also, what @doghouch said.

• The choice of the provider must be taken with all responsibility, especially if you choose hosting for a serious project. And then the first thing you need to know everything about the provider from available sources and various sites with reviews.
    And already when you choose a good provider - it is very likely that it will be excellent with the quality and volume of services!

• imokimok Member

A faster way to know all of your server specs is to run a benchmark script.

You can find some here https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/147254/your-favorite-benchmark-script-s

But it's always good to learn the single commands to get the single specs.

Thanked by 1Rockfiles
  • The hardware details can be found out using the commands mentioned above. For internet speed test, just download a file using the 'wget' command and it will show how fast is your downlink.

You can also download the same file which you have downloaded to your VPS from another server or from your local PC to find the uplink speed of your VPS. Most web browsers show the download speed.