Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SoYouStart ARM create image
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SoYouStart ARM create image

wlambrechtswlambrechts Member
edited June 2018 in General

Hi,

Is it possible on the SYS ARM servers to make an image of a partition to be restored ?

My situation: I would like to be able to install Apache, PHP, ... and make an image of this so I can restore it on my other ARM servers or to be restored later on ?

I guess something would be possible by using the rescue boot ?
Possibly create an image and upload it to the free 100 GB FTP space ?

Thanks for any advice

Comments

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

As on any OVH server, you can run a post install script, so basically make an API call, tell them to run your script, while you request a reinstall.

I do not think its possible on ARM, OVH does only offer there 3 OS's anyway.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

As mentioned above, sys have templates that run a script after install, it works fine with the arm storage nodes when I used them.

• It doesn't directly answer your question as I don't know the answer to it but have you thought about using Ansible to help with the basic setup of new servers?

I found https://github.com/joelhans/ssdnodes-ansible-provision to be a good tutorial / starting point which can easily be expanded upon.

Start with a fresh install on your server, run Ansible to install Apache, PHP, copy custom index.html/ssl certs/whole site or whatever.

It was easier to learn to use than I expected though I would recommend testing changes on a VM that can quickly be reinstalled (Hi @vmhaus !) in case of mistakes before trying it on a server that takes 20+mins

Thanked by 2vmhaus Falzo