Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedicated Minds -- Service Migrations - NYC -> NJ (completed)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedicated Minds -- Service Migrations - NYC -> NJ (completed)

ReeceReece Member
edited October 2013 in General

Hello,
To those who may of not got the email.

Hello,

We’re extremely sorry for the short notice but we will be moving our current NYC Budget VPS services within 24 hours of this email. Please hear us out before you think this is for the worst it has been a hard decision for me and Tyler to make.

This is something we hoped we could avoid, but due to the recent circumstances with our current provider and without the room to grow much further into our plans for colocation in the East Coast we are forced to move outside our current network to look for other options which will help us achieve our long terms goals as a business. Our provider couldn’t fit in with our needs; neither could it be beneficial to operate some of our Budget plans in this area. Along with that we haven’t had an exceptionally great experience with them so far and to top it off they’re network was repeatedly put on blacklists which is not something we don’t want to be a part of.

We hoped to be able to increase our presence in NYC but due to increasing costs and no real room to grow our business it is not something we are able to continue doing for our OpenVZ services.
Although this may seem a drastic decision we have done our best to fit with our clients’ needs but as said we will need to migrate our services—It could be alarming to some we know that but we hope we can continue providing the same services as we previously did but on a much better scale!

So where are we going? NEW JERSEY! We wanted to keep things close as possible to NYC so we can provide near enough the same connectivity on the East coast. We will be now operating in Clifton, New Jersey directly with Colo@ themselves. This gives us ample room to grow our operation without the hefty price tag NYC would bring us due to the lack of room our current provider has and the close proximity to the financial world.

Improvements you say? We certainly do have some improvements!

• We now have Savvis, Level3, Global Crossing, Abovenet for NJ network providers.

• Our nodes are now running Dual Xeon CPU’s (E5620) with 80GB RAM Minimum, RAID10 Storage and 1Gbps Network connectivity.

• Cheaper IPv4 Addresses we’re now charging $0.80/Mo per IP

• KVM Nodes will be rolling out very soon!

The not so good bits

• New IPv4 Addresses – Sadly we have to provide new IP’s to all containers

• IPv6 isn’t available just yet, it will be after Colo@ rolls it out at Atanta.

• The Short notice – We’ve done our best to fit it in but as a small business it would affect us to leave it off instead of letting it drain the bank.

Due to the inconvenience this may cause you we are offering all clients 5 days extra service along with a 15% discount on you next month’s service with us.

Migration Details:
Migrations will begin of services on Friday 11th October at 20.00PM (8PM) GMT we will be moving our Managed clients over first and upon completion we will move our Budget VPS clients over. We expect the process to be done within a 2 - 4 Hours though we have to leave some room for technical problems which may occur in such events. All IP’s will be reassigned as to each VPS and new details will be provided via email individually. If you require further assistance after the migration that isn’t a problem we can help you get your services back online we will have extra hands on board to assist with the general support to clients which may be required.

Taking the move out of the picture we see this as a fantastic opportunity to improve our current infrastructure and services our customers receive. We have a much better network in place which has more of a reach across the US and Europe which our network is now also far more cleaner. We have the perfect options for moving into Colocation within the next couple of months too which is something that limited our options within NYC.

We cannot apologise enough on the short notice which is something we won’t be repeating in the future. You can call New Jersey our new home as of now. We hope to still have you as a customer on the other side of this migration.

If you have any questions please feel free to let us know we’re here all day and night to get the migration done as quickly as possible and to assist with clients needing help.

Kindest Regards,
Dedicated Minds Management.

We've had quite a rough time in NYC our migration will provide us the perfect opportunity to continue our plans without the network being so spammy or not suiting our needs as a VPS business.

If anybody wishes to contact us please do so via [email protected] or Support directly.

If you wish we can migrate anybody Immediately upon request.

A little benchmark:

# wget freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash
CPU model :  Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           E5620  @ 2.40GHz
Number of cores : 4
CPU frequency :  1600.000 MHz
Total amount of ram : 1024 MB
Total amount of swap : 2048 MB
System uptime :   29 min,
Download speed from CacheFly: 78.6MB/s
Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 41.1MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 28.7MB/s
Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 7.29MB/s
Download speed from i3d.net, NL: 12.2MB/s
Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 16.4MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 5.10MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 19.2MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 16.0MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 79.8MB/s
I/O speed :  296 MB/s

Test IP: 199.36.221.7

We hope to make this migration as smooth as possible with no hiccups, if anything we should be completed before the expected time frame.

As said before we can transfer immediately upon request.

Reece.

Comments

• SpencerSpencer Member
    edited October 2013

@Reece said:
    me and Tyler to make.

Tyler and I

Thanked by 1c0y
  • trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider
    edited October 2013

@Spencer said:
    Tyler and I

No... He is correct.

Congratulations on the upgrade! The late notice is a shame though.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2013

Already posted your email at http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/14706/dedicated-minds-sudden-migration

No need to make second topic about it.

• @perennate said:
    Already posted your email at http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/14706/dedicated-minds-sudden-migration

No need to make second topic about it.

Oh come on, that topic was posted two minutes BEFORE this one, chances are Reece was already in the process of making this one before your "dupe" one was posted. Sheesh!..

• CheeseGamerCheeseGamer Member
    edited October 2013

tl;dr I fail at grammar

Thanked by 2Spencer perennate
    edited October 2013

@CheeseGamer no

"for me and Tyler" << prepositional phrase

"to make" describes "hard decision", not "me and Tyler"

Thanked by 1CheeseGamer
  • @perennate said:
    CheeseGamer no

"for me and Tyler" << prepositional phrase

"to make" describes "hard decision", not "me and Tyler"

that awkward moment when you get called out for incorrectly grammar naziing a sentence you haven't actually read

Thanked by 1perennate
    edited October 2013

To be fair, I think it's a live migration? But the IP address change is very annoying. And obviously the location change.

@CheeseGamer said:
    that awkward moment when you get called out for incorrectly grammar naziing a sentence you haven't actually read

It's also funny because there are actually lots of grammar errors in the email. But anyway who cares.

• ReeceReece Member
    edited October 2013

@Jack -- We will be beginning the migrations then, which would be starting with some of our Managed clients and other services to the new network. We can expect the migration time to be between 8PM - 12AM roughly obviously with the listed services being the first to take place (Those have been contacted with separate details). All details and clients will be notified accordingly. This isn't the turn off date for servers in NYC we will probably have them running for a few days after the migration.

As said this wasn't an easy decision to keep on in NYC we could of run it there longer but as said before it don't fit in with our needs at all.

All clients will be credited for the inconvenience caused along with an additional 15% discount on the next invoice.
    Reece

@Reece said:
    Jack -- We will be beginning the migrations then, which would be starting with some of our Managed clients and other services to the new network. We can expect the migration time to be between 8PM - 12AM roughly obviously with the listed services being the first to take place (Those have been contacted with separate details). All details and clients will be notified accordingly. This isn't the turn off date for servers in NYC we will probably have them running for a few days after the migration.

As said this wasn't an easy decision to keep on in NYC we could of run it there longer but as said before it don't fit in with our needs at all.

All clients will be credited for the inconvenience caused along with an additional 15% discount on the next invoice.
    Reece

So, VPS currently running will remain online a bit after the migration? And we'll have two VPS which are theoretically identical (at least immediately after the migration) besides IPv4 address for a few days until NYC servers are shut down?

• @perennate said:
    It's also funny because there are actually lots of grammar errors in the email. But anyway who cares.

Not reading the OP seems to be working pretty well for me so far. I don't want to break my streak of unbridled luck.

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited October 2013

@Reece Two thing that caught my attention:

1. Didn't you use this forum and the other place to vet your location choice and the main reason people bought your services was because of the location you chose? I understand it might not be the most economical choice at this point, but you are deserving of some criticism on this as that was the main attraction point for your product. Moving people to New Jersey is NOT NYC in any fashion, so I imagine you will anger a good portion of your customers who chose you based on location, even if this move has some upsides. Also, this destroys the rarity of your product as a lot of people use services in New Jersey already.

2. "Along with that we haven’t had an exceptionally great experience with them so far and to top it off they’re network was repeatedly put on blacklists which is not something we don’t want to be a part of."

You need to proofread your notice better as this sentences is a double negative which causes that sentence to mean "we do want to be part of ".

Also, I guess there are a lot more grammar errors I didn't even catch.

Edit: fixed the bold issue.

Cheers!

• ReeceReece Member
    edited October 2013

The migrations will be live. @perennate if you wanted we can migrate your VPS over to NJ and keep the NYC one operation for a short period until you've managed to get everything setup again. I must tell you we will have extra hands on deck during this migration we will be helping customers get back online as quickly as possible.

Ok may grammar may suck at this current moment in time, I have been up for quite some hours now and have quite a hectic day ahead of me so please excuse me.

• I have to say I don't really like this. The OP used to forums and asked about everything for a long time. Came out to say NEW NYC location and asked interest in NYC. It was in theory scoped and planned. It was advertised as NYC like it was their main feature. And now...

Thanked by 1TheLinuxBug
  • @concerto49 said:
    I have to say I don't really like this. The OP used to forums and asked about everything for a long time. Came out to say NEW NYC location and asked interest in NYC. It was in theory scoped and planned. It was advertised as NYC like it was their main feature. And now...

The same person that was complaining about Uniquity's network, well sir that is one of my main reasons. Anyhow as said I love NYC but it just don't fit in with our needs unfortunately.

• @Reece said:
    The same person that was complaining about Uniquity's network, well sir that is one of my main reasons. Anyhow as said I love NYC but it just don't fit in with our needs unfortunately.

This WAS way known from the start. I'm pretty sure they warned you already about them. Either way, good luck!

It's just saddening to see all of these. Also, a short notice on the move. Should at least give 3 days notice.

• Not good at all. :/

• @Jack said:
    Not really, 24 hours is fine if the IPs were staying the same or going to be routed for a period of time to the new network.

No, all scheduled downtime should have plenty of notice, but ok, different standards.

• ReeceReece Member
    edited October 2013

@TheLinuxBug said:
    Reece Two thing that caught my attention:

1. Didn't you use this forum and the other place to vet your location choice and the main reason people bought your services was because of the location you chose? I understand it might not be the most economical choice at this point, but you are deserving of some criticism on this as that was the main attraction point for your product. Moving people to New Jersey is NOT NYC in any fashion, so I imagine you will anger a good portion of your customers who chose you based on location, even if this move has some upsides. Also, this destroys the rarity of your product as a lot of people use services in New Jersey already.

2. "Along with that we haven’t had an exceptionally great experience with them so far and to top it off they’re network was repeatedly put on blacklists which is not something we don’t want to be a part of."

You need to proofread your notice better as this sentences is a double negative which causes that sentence to mean "we do want to be part of ".

Also, I guess there are a lot more grammar errors I didn't even catch.

Edit: fixed the bold issue.

Cheers!

We certainly understand your concern as said previously it was a hard decision to go ahead with migration, we have been trying to locate a suitable solution within the area. We did locate some other providers but they couldn't meet our requirements nor would I say it would of been a secure option moving to them. NYC is very much over populated due to the financial side of things. Sure I love the place, the name it was part of our marketing but sadly our provider does not fit our needs neither was there a suitable solution. We've done our best to accommodate our clients requirements, it's not so much of a long distance compared to other options we could of taken, our focus was East coast which Clifton, NJ was the closest possible location which suited our needs and also provided near the same network we had in NYC. If anything we have had a major upgrade on that part more of a bandwidth blend and much more of a cleaner network.
    Our main focus isn't just the LEB market with that neither is NYC the major attraction for all of our customers. I understand there will be customers angry with this decision, they're more than welcome to tackle that issue with us. We're providing each customer an additional 5 day of service and 15% OFF the next months service to accommodate the migration downtime.

Yes I'm aware the notice should of been proof-read properly, I have been up for best part of 24 hours now, so it isn't as upto scratch as it should be but anybody is welcome to contact us. for further information.

A said previously we'll have extra hands on deck to provide support during the migration and to help our customers get back online.

Reece

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited October 2013

So Ubiquity network doesn't fit your needs and you have problems with blacklisted addresses. What a surprise being Ubiquity ;)

Also, what others said about NYC vs NJ and the really short notice before the migration. It's not like they were going to suspend your servers tomorrow if you keep paying, but whatever, I am not even a client...

• @Reece said:

I have to agree that NYC is all gimmick though. A lot of providers are moving out to NJ honestly. Even the larger enterprise hosts are slowly moving out. It's just not worth the effort - the higher fees and what not.

• they’re network was repeatedly put on blacklists which is not something we don’t want to be a part of.

Ubiquity /Nobistech has had a reputation for several years as a spam/botnet infested host. A simple google search, or a search of LET, would have let you know this before you signed up with them and spared you a lot of grief.

Not really, 24 hours is fine if the IPs were staying the same or going to be routed for a period of time to the new network.

If the IPs are going to be changed at least 5 days would be preferable. 24 hours for an IP change isn't adequate notice because if someone is out of town for a few days, on vacation, sick, or doesn't check their email everyday, or they run a DNS server on their VPS, they're going to have a dead website when the IP change is done and chances are they will not be very happy and won't be renewing.

• Sooo... what about conventional DNS standards of 7 day TTL ?

• Updates:

Hello,

We have decided to move the Migration to the 13th October 2013. The migration processes will start from 8AM GMT on Sunday.

All services in NYC will be running for a few days after this migration this will give you time to update your IP's or forward them to the new ones provided.
    We must make you aware a live transfer of your VPS container will be made, causing near to no downtime on the machine it's self as said previously you will be allocated a new IP address in New Jersey this is something we couldn't avoid sadly but we see this also see this as a great opportunity to improve our services currently offered. Dedicated Minds as of now is now beginning to acquire its own IPv4 space within the Arin Region which will allow us to own and control our IP space in the future.

We have extra hands working with us over the weekend to provide additional support to clients and to assist them with the move as required. We hope for the migration to go s smoothly with no real hiccups.

For the inconvenience of this migration we are providing all clients with an extra 7 days of account credit, 15% off your next month and upon request will will be including some free upgrades to all 512MB+ plans (50% MORE RAM + 50% MORE CORES)

Yearly 128/256MB plans will see a increase in CPU cores + 25% RAM increase + additional IP included free of charge.

Those who have additional IP's with us will see a $0.65 discount per IP (Normally $1.50)

For the additional to be included you will have to open a ticket with us to get your resources updated.

Our network is now rolling with 1Gbps connectivity with a much better mix of bandwidth providers than the previous Zayo + GTT mix we had.

IMPORTANT NOTICE:
    If you wish to be migrated over straight away please open a support ticket, the process can be complete almost instantly all we need is you confirmation to go ahead with your VPS transfer first.

We look forward to hearing back from you.
    Dedicated Minds Management.

• NYC to NJ -> sounds like (almost) the same thing to me, no big deal here.
    • Live migration -> good
    • IP change -> BAD
  • ReeceReece Member
    edited October 2013

@Jack said:
    Couldn't you of moved to Colocrossing?

They would beat Colo@ on pricing.

I'd rather not go to Buffalo or any other over saturated place thanks. NJ via Colo@ suits our needs just fine :)

And I must note: The financial side of things wasn't the main concern with our decision to move.

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited October 2013

@rds100 short notice is also bad in a few hours?

Looks like NYC bites the dust because they got a cheaper deal else where.

All the best on migration Reece, hit me up on Skype if you need help.

• @INIZ said:
    rds100 short notice is also bad in a few hours?

Looks like NYC bites the dust because they got a cheaper deal else where.

All the best on migration Reece, hit me up on Skype if you need help.

Hey Patrick,
    Sadly it was short notice, we have extended the time though.

Looks like NYC bites the dust because they got a cheaper deal else where

In comparison we've only saved a few bucks literally probably $50 a month, nothing to drastic or something that would kill the bank so to speak. We need more room to grow and a better operation to deal with directly which is one of the main factors in our migration.

And besides that @Iniz you're doing a great job, I can't see the point being in the exact same facility if I'm honest as that's one of the option we had in NYC it would be pointless ;)

Other than all the providers being bashfull, we've had some good feedback from our clients and those which have transferred over already. The circumstances are not the best we know that but sadly some things cannot be helped. We needed more of a concrete solution. We would rather get our services moved over now than in say 2 months time when the size of our operation would be much bigger and cause much more of a head ache for our customers and ourselves.

Reece

• We have decided to move the Migration to the 13th October 2013. The migration processes will start from 8AM GMT on Sunday.

All services in NYC will be running for a few days after this migration this will give you time to update your IP's or forward them to the new ones provided.

That's much better than the first email's 24 hour time frame. :)

This discussion has been closed.