Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Object Storage Providers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Object Storage Providers

Hi

I am looking for object storage providers:

a. EU Based (UK Preferred, but not a must)
b. S3 compatible
c. Mid-market pricing (may consider a little more expensive if it ticks all the boxes)

Is there a list I can use to compare Object Storage providers?

Comments

• TriJetScudTriJetScud Member
    edited June 2018

Cheapest way to do it is to grab a storage VM and then install something like LeoFS that provides a S3 compatible endpoint for object storage.

In the past I think BuyVM had storage VM's in Lux, but it's sadly out of stock there :(

• Delimiter

• imokimok Member

DigitalOcean looks good.

For a self-hosted option, I've used Minio. Really easy to use.

• @Jack said:
    Would a storage VM with S3's CLI work?

Hi

It may work, I have never used it before, but as long as I can get the endpoint + keys, I don't see why it won't work.

Had a look at your website, are you referring to your Storage VPS? If so, are they stackable?

• @imok said:
    DigitalOcean looks good.

Self-hosted = too much drama, IMO. How do you backup your Minio servers?

• @TriJetScud said:
    Cheapest way to do it is to grab a storage VM and then install something like LeoFS that provides a S3 compatible endpoint for object storage.

In the past I think BuyVM had storage VM's in Lux, but it's sadly out of stock there :(

I think LeoFS looks kinda Minio, I am not so sure about self-hosted :(

• @Jack said:

@realbusiness said:
    Had a look at your website, are you referring to your Storage VPS? If so, are they stackable?

Yup, it works out £16/TB with 512MB RAM per 250GB you take.

OK, and you did mention something to do with S3 CLI? How to get that?

• @inthecloudblog said:
    Delimiter

lol

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • imokimok Member

@realbusiness said:

@imok said:
    DigitalOcean looks good.

Self-hosted = too much drama, IMO. How do you backup your Minio servers?

Rsync (BackupPC)

• If you can wait until the end of september this year wasabi will open an EU location.

• @Vinnyletje said:
    If you can wait until the end of september this year wasabi will open an EU location.

I did a Wasabi trial, however, the only concern I had was, not being sure if they can migrate my buckets from US to EU. Otherwise they are great.

• @realbusiness said:

@Vinnyletje said:
    If you can wait until the end of september this year wasabi will open an EU location.

I did a Wasabi trial, however, the only concern I had was, not being sure if they can migrate my buckets from US to EU. Otherwise they are great.

Don't know about the migration process just know that they will open a Hillsboro and EU location according to this, maybe you can ask support for more information?

• GulfGulf Member

Rewrite your software (I bet, it is a couple of lines) and stick with OVH. Incredibly cheap, in the UK. Everything like S3, you can even specify versioning (date when they will automatically delete your files).

• sidewindersidewinder Member
    edited June 2018

minio ftw.

I use nginx to forward ssl to minio bc I couldn't get SSL working with minio then I use Syncplicity to backup the minio directory.

Works great, drama free and cheaper than any other block storage I found as long as you are willing to shop for storage deals.

@imok said:
    DigitalOcean looks good.

• VinnyletjeVinnyletje Member
    edited June 2018

@Gulf said:
    Rewrite your software (I bet, it is a couple of lines) and stick with OVH. Incredibly cheap, in the UK. Everything like S3, you can even specify versioning (date when they will automatically delete your files).

I'm subscribed to the cloud mailing list and see a lot of occurences that people complain about performance degradation ranging from terrible speed to http 504 responses or just offline so after seeing so many complains I've personally categorised it as not production ready.

My 2 cents

• @inthecloudblog said:
    Delimiter

I highly recommend against using Delimiter for anything anymore. Most of their servers have been offline for 2 weeks now, including their obj.space S3-compatible Object Storage service.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • GulfGulf Member
    edited June 2018

@Vinnyletje said:
    I'm subscribed to the cloud mailing list and see a lot of occurences that people complain about performance degradation ranging from terrible speed to http 504 responses or just offline so after seeing so many complains I've personally categorised it as not production ready.

Probably you are talking about Scaleway. I've experienced the same. But I've never seen 504 with OVH, probably once a year, when they are officially down. Are you talking about their UK object storage?

Please, copy paste these complaints with thread name.

I host around 100 gb of user data. And every day a script downloads some of them for processing. I would notice 504 or similar. I haven't registered any downtimes since the last blackout in their DC a year ago.

• realbusinessrealbusiness Member
    edited June 2018

Are their any providers between OVH and S3 pricing level?

I have paid for Wasabi already, if not I'll just use Wasabi and hope they move my buckets to EU data center later this year.

• lastlast Member

C14 is at the OVH level. I prefer OVH as it's standard openstack and the egress is cheaper IIRC. Check http://gaul.org/object-store-comparison/

• letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2018

@realbusiness said:
    Are their any providers between OVH and S3 pricing level?

I have paid for Wasabi already, if not I'll just use Wasabi and hope they move my buckets to EU data center later this year.

We will have Block Sotrage with replicated 3 available for testing free charge before we deployed last steps by 28th June. If you want testing let me know.

Side not: they are in USA

Thanked by 2pullangcubo willie
    edited June 2018

@Gulf said:

@Vinnyletje said:

Probably you are talking about Scaleway. I've experienced the same. But I've never seen 504 with OVH, probably once a year, when they are officially down. Are you talking about their UK object storage?

Please, copy paste these complaints with thread name.

I host around 100 gb of user data. And every day a script downloads some of them for processing. I would notice 504 or similar. I haven't registered any downtimes since the last blackout in their DC a year ago.

I'm talking about OVH but it seems that its only affecting GRA, SBG and BHS don't know about UK but keep in mind that this is the mailing list so other people may complain via ticket or other ways and if you don't utilize the object storage constantly you may not notice these problems.

https://pastebin.com/C8M3aAMe

these are only from 2018 as I'm too lazy to go further but you see that problems do occur and keep in mind that these are just thread titles and other people are responding to it. If you want to see for yourself just subscribe to the cloud mailing list.

Also take a look at the travaux page.

Thanked by 2Gulf willie
  • leytonleyton Member
    edited June 2018

If you're just looking for S3 storage on the UK, and are happy with OpenStack SWIFT, I'll toot the UKFast horn a little:

eCloud Vault - https://www.ukfast.co.uk/cloud-storage.html

Won't be the cheapest out there, but should check the boxes.

Otherwise Amazon S3 is available in London: https://aws.amazon.com/about-aws/global-infrastructure/regional-product-services/

Or, you can land yourself a lowend storage VPS wherever and install mino?

edited June 2018

@Gulf

[cloud] SBG1 Object Storage - Very high latencies

https://pastebin.com/gq3an563

the graph