Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The last provider and server list you will ever need to refer to!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

The last provider and server list you will ever need to refer to!

jetchiragjetchirag Member
edited June 2018 in General

Hey,

I've just started this mini projects of keeping tracks of plans/offers and providers list in a nice (easy to sort) list.

Link: https://goo.gl/Nhmy3t

Mind the short link, wanted to see how many people are interested. Bigger the number, bigger the motivation

I've currently only added few records and in no particular order

Features:

- Providers list with information such as base starting price, sales email, founded on, location
- Find type of services a provider provides: Shared, OpenVZ, KVM, Dedicated
- Find Providers based on their locations and or IPv6 availability
- Find offers ( I don't promise to keep this table updated )
- Find VPS based on details such as
1. Type: Storage, VPN, Server etc
2. Details such as Storage, Bandwidth, RAM, Network speed, Cores, Avg cost per TB, IPv4/6 availability, comments

TL;DR: Find your dream server;

I'll add more features as it goes

Goals and Roadmaps:

- Currency exchange
- Hopefully some scrapper to keep plans/offers fresh
- Add many many more records.

Airtable has a limit of 1200 records on free plan per base. I don't plan on hitting it anytime soon but will upgrade if have to.

P.S. If someone would like to contribute, please PM me. I'd grant you access to edit it given you have clear past record on LET.

P.S.S. Providers please message me if you'd like to get added, get removed or want to get some detail edited.

P.S.S.S: Pony guy has paid me $7 PER ENTRY

Thanks

XOXO

Thanked by 1vovler

Comments

• AidanAidan Member

Definitely interested.

@MasonR has done similar sites in the past.

Thanked by 1MasonR
  • vovlervovler Member

How much is the horsey guy paying you?

• @vovler said:
    How much is the horsey guy paying you?

I totally knew someone's going to comment that. I even thought to myself to add that to post. As said, limit is in no particular order.

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@Aidan said:.
    @MasonR has done similar sites in the past.

I severely underestimated the time it takes to keep up on it. And in my case, I only focused on a subset of storage offers (>=250GB & under $10ish/mo), so that limited it down quite a bit. The issue is checking the existing links (and coupons) for validity every so often, just becomes tedious. Then you get the people that complain a listed product is out of stock or they are incapable of entering a coupon code :P

If you have some way to automate it and scrape offers (like @Neoon's stuff), then that'll cut out a lot of the manual shit. But then that introduces the issue of how to deal with coupon codes that are always changing (which is quite common for most LE package).

Good luck if you decide to move forward with it! Just don't let it become your full time job ;)

• I'm mostly sure that I'll not be able to keep offers updated but will try to keep the regular plans updated as they are very less likely to be changed. Maybe should even remove offer table.

• vovlervovler Member
    edited June 2018

@jetchirag said:

I totally knew someone's going to comment that. I even thought to myself to add that to post. As said, limit is in no particular order.

Chill, just joking. Anyways, nice project, hope you reach the goals and don't give up.

Me & LET give you our power

Thanked by 2jetchirag Francisco
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Maybe add an area to check if IPv6 is available.

• @MikeA said:

Already have it in the plans table.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@jetchirag said:

@MikeA said:

Already have it in the plans table.

Oops, I'm blind.

Thanked by 1jetchirag
  • williewillie Member

There was something about a provider directory in a recent thread. Really sounds like way too much maintenance work for random members, but if that's how you want to spend your time, then great. I think it's easier to just put up a wiki and let people edit it.

• jetchiragjetchirag Member
    edited June 2018

@willie said:
    There was something about a provider directory in a recent thread. Really sounds like way too much maintenance work for random members, but if that's how you want to spend your time, then great. I think it's easier to just put up a wiki and let people edit it.

I've been trying to setup something with github. Maybe that way I won't have to maintain it and people can open PR.

It was just night time, I couldn't sleep so had to do something. Maybe just another dumb idea!

• Shouldn't Ramnode have something like 100 plans with different server, locations, packages? And how about Black Friday, Cyber Monday, Rainy Tuesday etc?

Very difficult to keep track IMHO.

• jetchiragjetchirag Member
    edited June 2018

@dergelbe said:
    Shouldn't Ramnode have something like 100 plans with different server, locations, packages? And how about Black Friday, Cyber Monday, Rainy Tuesday etc?

Very difficult to keep track IMHO.

Yes, been bugging me.

jetchirag said: It was just night time, I couldn't sleep so had to do something. Maybe just another dumb idea!

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

dergelbe said: Very difficult to keep track IMHO.

It could actually be trivial.

Really, all you need is a standard format and a WHMCS module. Arguably you only need the latter because if it's first, it'll define the former :-)

All the packages, etc. are in WHMCS. You'd have to have a way to programmatically define some things...e.g., package details can't all be in free text. I don't know how extensible WHMCS's package creation/maintenance screens are. Anyway, the module publishes it via json, xml, whatever and then the next guy with the "one sortable page listing all VPSes in the known universe...with ads..." can just go pull those feeds.

Blesta wankers can roll their own to the same format.

This saves the list-site-makers from having to write horribly fragile scrapers (though, ironically, I imagine if summer hosts stick to the same themeforest theme, they're more likely to be scraped...)

There's still a burden on the provider, but this greatly minimizes it by doing it inside a tool they're already using, and presumably they're willing to put a modicum of effort into it since they'll be getting exposure and legions of pain the ass customers as a reward. There's probably all sorts of ways to include/exclude packages, publish or not publish certain coupon codes, etc.

I'm simplifying of course but mainly just to point out there is no technical barrier to this problem. There's not even a big company that you need to feature-plead to make it happen...just need to either write a WHCMS module or pay someone to do it. Apparently the utility of this idea has not risen to the point where that's attractive. I'm sure as hell not going to write it.