Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ChicagoVPS - VPS not bootable, no support for 4 days (and counting)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ChicagoVPS - VPS not bootable, no support for 4 days (and counting)

sumeshpremrajsumeshpremraj Member
edited February 2012 in General

I signed up for a $7 2GB VPS on chicagovps (they make this available occasionally), to test their service, and if good, to move one of my sites.

I don't expect top of the range performance from such an offer - they must have oversold by a lot.

What I do expect is decent customer support. My VPS went down on 12th, and has been offline so far. Hitting the boot button on control panel does nothing. Support tickets have gone unanswered.

To be clear, this is not a minor issue like help in installing or managing the server, but the VPS itself being down and not bootable for three days.

I shudder to think of my fate, had this type of support happened after I moved my site over. It earns decent money, and I'd have lost several hundered dollars in these 3-4 days.

Unless there is any improvement in their support, I won't renew my account, and I suggest anyone who values their site/business do the same.

Comments

• How about "reinstall", does this make your VPS bootable again?

• Have you tried serial console?

Also, if you have a site which earns $100/day you shouldn't really host it on a $7/m VPS. At least have another VPS you can switch to if something goes wrong.

• @rds100 : No, reinstall and reboot both did not help.

@vedran: I bought this test VPS in their $7 deal, to learn and test my ideal VPS setup, and had intended to go with their Xen VPS plan once I wanted to move the real site. Looks like that won't really be happening now.

If they have issues, at least they can communicate that to me. But instead, all I get is silence, even on the support ticket I opened.

• Yes, it's quite bad there is no news from them in 4 days. What I'm trying to say, it happens in a LEB market and will happen again. You have to expect it and be prepared for it.

• I think I'll just learn VPS management etc on an LEB and move to Linode. I guess 'you get what you pay for' holds true in LEBs true.

• vps6netvps6net Member
    edited February 2012

@sumeshpremraj I wouldn't take the service you've received from ChicagoVPS as representative of every host that offers "low end" servers, but I'd definitely say that this kind of thing could be expected from a provider that sells 2GB plans for $7. I hope that they will have enough sense to offer you a refund!

• When someone gets so low to offer $7 / 2GB it means they are failing most likely.

• Did they get bought by AltusHost!? ha.

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

What are you guys even along about? We provide a great service, and no we are not ailing or ever get bought out.

Also his tickets are being responded to but sine he lives in India the time difference is significant so support replies are a little slower since he's responding at off times.

Thanks
    Chris

• @CVPS_Chris said: We provide a great service

You don't have the right to say that, the customers have it

Well I can prove it by all the feedback emails we receive everyday I'd you would like.

The good comments we get is probably 100:1.

• Been with them for about 2 months now with the 2GB/7$ plan. Except some short periods of poor performance in the beginning, which seem to have been fixed, it's been good.

They did send notice about today's downtime to me (node29).

For 7$, i'd say they've provided me with a great service so far.

Thanks bobby :)

• @sumeshpremraj My 2GB Ram VPS from VolumeDrive for $4.95/month has had good uptime, I've had it now for about 2 weeks.

• @CVPS_Chris: need 24 hour staff if you want a really good business

• @chris8989 said: need 24 hour staff if you want a really good business

@chris8989

If your not a targeting top end Enterprise solutions where down time is costly then you do not, anyway on their website it says "24/7 North American based support"

• NarutoNaruto Member
    edited February 2012

You tell 'em, @chris8989.

• @taylor: if there site say "24/7 North American based support" there should not be any delays on responding to tickets!! if so need give the client a free month!!! thats what i go by on my business!!

• @chris8989 said: need 24 hour staff if you want a really good business

That's news to us.

Thanked by 1DeletedUser
  • @chris8989 said: thats what i go by on my business!!

Yeah, but your "business" is kind of a joke. I mean... come on, really? It takes 3minutes to set up Hostbill... you've basically shown 0 effort in your own company, so I don't think ChicagoVPS should be following how you "go by on your business". >_>

http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/1484/cheap-vps-on-sale

• sumeshpremrajsumeshpremraj Member
    edited February 2012

They try to defend their 5 days of no response with the time zone difference, which is unacceptable. I can understand a maximum of 2 days of slow response (which would take into account the US-India 12 hour difference), but 4 days is pushing it.

I don't know if this thread on LET helped, but they have finally responded to the ticket and reinstalled my VPS. It seems that the best way to get a fast response is to bring some bad publicity on them by writing about it on LET etc.

Wow, if that's how it works, their business dev dept (if any!) can't be too happy about it. Bad press is not really good.

Update: The VPS is STILL not booting.

• @sumeshpremraj said: with the time zone difference, which is unacceptable

WTF?

@sumeshpremraj said: Update: The VPS is STILL not booting.

:|

• @yomero said: @sumeshpremraj said: with the time zone difference, which is unacceptable

The important part was "They try to defend their 5 days of no response [with an excuse], which is unacceptable." It's a dangling modifier.

• Another company hitting high waters?

@CVPS_Chris - Why can't you just fix his simple booting issue, but instead you find other excuses like,

@CVPS_Chris said: but sine he lives in India the time difference is significant so support replies are a little slower since he's responding at off times.

Really? Common. Were are your morals and ethnics about this situation?

• a vps doesnt boot.. and what this got to do with time difference.. it sounds like.

user: my vps doesnt boot
    seller (+9hrs) : really? what is the problem did u try restart?
    user (+1day) : yes no reboot. no reinstall
    seller (+2day) : tell us your ip address.
    user (+3days) : 8.8.8.8
    seller (+4days) our vps never fails.. u wanna read testimony?

ps : am bored ;(

• @peppr said: seller (+4days) our vps never fails.. u wanna read testimony?

This one n_n

@sumeshpremraj said: Update: The VPS is STILL not booting.

You still have not updated your ticket. How can we fix something when you wont respond....

Client has been refunded, the relationship can not work.

• upfreakupfreak Member
    edited February 2012

@CVPS_Chris As per the thread, the client is just testing and he has tried reinstalling as well so they question of backup or watever doesnt arise. I am genuinely interested to know what kind of ticket he didnt update? The question is : Y my VPS No run? and all you have to do is either fix the issue or change him to a different node? Am i overlooking the issue? please clarify

• Client has been refunded, the relationship can not work.

I only ever hear these kinds of comments from a very short list of so called providers who can not provide honest or reliable support. The mantra that not every customer is a good one should be left to relationships dealing in legality and signed agreements. Sadly more than one hosting provider has adopted this philosophy. At best this is just bad business. You do have a responsibility to serve your customers in good faith and accept their criticisms based on your performance. Shame on you sir. Boo this man.