Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VIP providers?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VIP providers?

Hi all,

This isn't exactly VPS related but I expect I'm reaching the people who may be able to help.

I'm currently running a bulletin board (BBS) on a VPS and while I'm really happy with the performance, the software I use sucks up memory like a blackhole. I'd really like to use my server at home but I'm already using a bunch of ports that the BBS uses.

Since I have a residential FiOS line, I can't get a 2nd IP so I'm wondering if there are companies that offer something like an ipv4 tunnel that I can bind to a 2nd IP on my host.

The only real requirement is that I'd need very low latency from me to the connection which is in the Dallas area.

Will be interested in options...if any.

Comments

• Use Ipv6 if you got it and put cloudflare on top. If not, set up a HE tunnel broker and use Ipv6 from HE. Will add latency so might not be the best solution.

• Ole_JuulOle_Juul Member
    edited June 2018

I've got a BBS here that will run off a floppy, and I've seen very low resource installations back in the day. It seems to me that if you get an SSD VPS you could just use swap for the extra memory. I'm imagening vintage text based, and I don't know if that's where you're at or if you're doing some newfangled video/microsoft/adobe monstrosity, which might not work. But for sure, text based speeds will be fine with SSD for RAM.

• IshaqIshaq Member

Get a Dallas VPS and use it as a tunnel/VPN.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@Ishaq said:
    Get a Dallas VPS and use it as a tunnel/VPN.

That might not fly; everything will depend on he routing of both providers, both ways.

• freerangecloudfreerangecloud Member, Patron Provider

Tunneled static IPs (and subnets) is something we offer, however, our closest datacenter is Winnipeg, which is about 60ms away from Dallas so I'm assuming that's a bit too high for you.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Ole_Juul said: I've got a BBS here that will run off a floppy

Hell yes...used to run a Telegard BBS off an 8086. You booted up on one disk, then switched disks once the BBS was running for an extra 360MB of storage space.

I remember RBBS ran entirely off one floppy with no floppy change needed!

Thanked by 1netomx
  • mkshmksh Member
    edited June 2018

@raindog308 said:
    then switched disks once the BBS was running for an extra 360MB of storage space.

Huge disks!

Sadly only witnessed the death of the BBS scene myself. Guess it was way bigger in the US due to cheaper phone calls though.

• mksh said: Sadly only witnessed the death of the BBS scene myself. Guess it was way bigger in the US due to cheaper phone calls though.

In Canada it was just as big. I think European telephone systems did/do bill differently. In NA we pay a fixed monthly bill and then all calls are free within our calling area. Anything outside of that area was referred to as long distance and carried an extra charge for the call, by the minute. So for the purpose of calling (or receiving) a BBS in you own city, the calls were/are free.

• BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider

@Nelgin said:

Does Los Angeles work?

• NelginNelgin Member

Thanks for the responses but I'd rather keep it all in Dallas. I'm looking at colo options for an old DL380 I have.

• mkshmksh Member

@Ole_Juul said:

mksh said: Sadly only witnessed the death of the BBS scene myself. Guess it was way bigger in the US due to cheaper phone calls though.

In Canada it was just as big. I think European telephone systems did/do bill differently. In NA we pay a fixed monthly bill and then all calls are free within our calling area. Anything outside of that area was referred to as long distance and carried an extra charge for the call, by the minute. So for the purpose of calling (or receiving) a BBS in you own city, the calls were/are free.

Yeah, this is what i was referring to. At least where i am something like this didn't exist back then (and it still doesn't but nowadays there are tons of countrywide flat fee options so it doesn't really matter). Not that there wasn't a distinction between local and long distance calls. Long distance was just even more expensive. It pretty much sucked but then there were all the creative approaches people took to deal with this which make those times kinda funny to look back at.