Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyper-V Question
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hyper-V Question

plumbergplumberg Veteran

Hello:
I have a Hetzner server. I installed Windows Server 2016. I would like to setup a couple of VMs (running both Windows/ Linux).

I would prefer using the VMs be accessible by IPV6 (as we receive a /64). Once things stabilize, I may simply pay for the additional IPV4, but, not now.

Any guide on how to configure the Hyper-V to run multiple guest OS with IPV6 connectivity?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• The easiest way for a single host setup is to deploy a virtual router that only does IPv6 forwarding.

The harder way is to enable Routing on the host partition, assign the necessary subnets and then start handing out IPv6 space to your guest VM's sitting on the Host-only Virtual Network.

• @TriJetScud said:
    The easiest way for a single host setup is to deploy a virtual router that only does IPv6 forwarding.

The harder way is to enable Routing on the host partition, assign the necessary subnets and then start handing out IPv6 space to your guest VM's sitting on the Host-only Virtual Network.

Thanks. Any suggestions on deploying a virtual router for IPv6 fwd?

• TriJetScudTriJetScud Member
    edited June 2018

@plumberg said:

@TriJetScud said:
    The easiest way for a single host setup is to deploy a virtual router that only does IPv6 forwarding.

Quick and dirty way? Drop in VyOS and configure it like a Vyatta router. And then you're done for the day.

VyOS in the 1.1 branch does support Hyper-V out of the box, so there shouldn't be any perf issues on that front.

• @TriJetScud said:

@plumberg said:

@TriJetScud said:

Quick and dirty way? Drop in VyOS and configure it like a Vyatta router. And then you're done for the day.

VyOS in the 1.1 branch does support Hyper-V out of the box, so there shouldn't be any perf issues on that front.

Wow, never knew something like this existed. Will try to give it a shot.

• All, any other tutorial or guide to get this working? Thanks

• plumberg said: All, any other tutorial or guide to get this working? Thanks

I've actually ran the same thing for a little bit before I got an actual router in my colo.

Vyos has a lot of tutorials. You can generally search for Vyatta or EdgeOS (Ubiquiti) too, as most of the commands and concepts are the same.

Depending on how Hetzner handle's their network, you could just bridge the VM's (using an External vSwitch) to the host's network, and assign IP addresses from your IPv6 space directly to the VM's. This might be easier as you wouldn't need to deal with a router VM.

• @Silvenga said:

plumberg said: All, any other tutorial or guide to get this working? Thanks

I've actually ran the same thing for a little bit before I got an actual router in my colo.

Vyos has a lot of tutorials. You can generally search for Vyatta or EdgeOS (Ubiquiti) too, as most of the commands and concepts are the same.

Depending on how Hetzner handle's their network, you could just bridge the VM's (using an External vSwitch) to the host's network, and assign IP addresses from your IPv6 space directly to the VM's. This might be easier as you wouldn't need to deal with a router VM.

Thanks. I feel if I can avoid the router thing it will be easy... I think