Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LowEndSpirit as a Mailserver?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LowEndSpirit as a Mailserver?

hey there, i already have a extrememly low end Dedi as a webserver (about 9 sites currently and traffic around the 25,000/day).
And one of my new projects require an email server, so i was thinking of getting a Lowendspirit vps and using it as a mail server, is this an idea that could be done on their servers, Physically... (since they don't actually have IPv4 Addresses etc) i don't know how to go around it. But it's cheap and if it could be done, i'd do it :P

Comments

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

You should contact them via a ticket. I don't think it's possible by default.

• The only way you could do this is if you accept mail on your ipv6 address. Therefor any mail server sending to you without ipv6 connectivity would fail to deliver e-mail to you. The ipv4 forwarding ports do not include port 25, usually they are quite high numbered ports, so most mail server would not be able to deliver to you on a port other than 25 on ip4 either. In short, it is probably not ideal for an e-mail server at this time.

Cheers!

• What if i was using Cloudflare with their IPv6 connecivity turned on, this would give me an IPv4 address for people to connect to and therefore send emails? correct?

• Forgive me if I am wrong, but Isn't cloud flare for web serving?

• http://forum.lowendspirit.com/viewtopic.php?pid=2226#p2226

Not possible over IPv4 unless BackToGeek allows relays.
    IPv6, sure. Just make sure everyone who is sending you mail also has IPv6! xD (not going to happen..)

• Why not just use another LEB/LET provider?

• @wych said:
    Why not just use another LEB/LET provider?

Where's the fun in that?

• @Nekki said:

+1 :) we love to do 'almost' impossible thing

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I don't really want mail servers running or to make it easy for anyone to do this if I am being totally honest on IPv4 anyway, if the IP gets dirty it stays dirty, simple as that.

I am not saying no though, if you find some way to bounce the traffic all over the place to make it work then fine.

I made a feature request forum section a while ago, even if I don't like it if people want it I will make it happen, it would not be that hard for me to run a domain and IP based auth postfix relay on an external InceptionHosting VPS for people to relay via, I just don't want to do it for 1 person, as a rule if more than 5% of the user base request the feature it will be done which right now means you need more than 24 people to give it a yes vote.

• DalCompDalComp Member
    edited October 2013

Alternatively, get a BlueVM $5/year VPS. Only costs extra 1 dollar. :D
    https://www.bluevm.com/cart.php?gid=42

• I made a feature request forum section a while ago, even if I don't like it if people want it I will
    make it happen, it would not be that hard for me to run a domain and IP based auth postfix
    relay on an external InceptionHosting VPS for people to relay via, I just don't want to do it for 1
    person, as a rule if more than 5% of the user base request the feature it will be done which
    right now means you need more than 24 people to give it a yes vote.

There is already a pool where is possible to vote?