Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What project/documentation management tool do you use?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What project/documentation management tool do you use?

imokimok Member

Hi!

I've been using Confluence for a couple of years and it's been working great. I like how I can get a clean interface with Confluence and Scroll Viewport, syntax highlighting, insert graphics with Draw.io, and more.

I'm also using Jira for task management, probably too options/tools I never use.

The problem is they need a bit high resources, so I'm looking for something probably not java-based able to run on LET boxes.

With all the software I currently have I've spent $40.

This is for my (really) small company and some personal projects.

What I need:

• Self-hosted and not resource hungry.

• One-time payment or free. At least 5 users included, multiple projects.

• Beautiful, simple and easy to use UI. Non-technical users will write documents here. No MediaWiki interface.

• Integration with other tools and LDAP if possible.

Have you ever use something like that? I know there are a lot of names over the Internet, but I want to know if they worked for you too. Something I haven't heard is about a complete Atlassian stack replacement.

Thank you.

Comments

• http://info.perforce.com/try-perforce-helix-teamhub-free.html

Cloud hosted

Free for 5 users and 5GB storage

Nice UI with Wiki

Thanked by 1imok
  • williewillie Member

Emacs

Thanked by 1Wolveix
  • Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Not 100% the pricing you are looking for, but you mentioned liking the hosted versions.
    Have you considered their hosted instances? https://www.atlassian.com/software/confluence/pricing

Pricing is really good for 10 users or less.

• imokimok Member

@Awsmusic12635 yes they are good. That's the version I'm using but...

imok said: The problem is they need a bit high resources, so I'm looking for something probably not java-based able to run on LET boxes.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

imok said: @Awsmusic12635 yes they are good. That's the version I'm using but...

I am talking about their hosted version where they host it for you.

• How resource hungry is Confluence and JIRA?
    What kind of hardware spec are you running them on?

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

Take a peek at Odoo and OpenProject. Both have community editions that you can self host for free. I've used odoo's project management stuff a bit and it seemed pretty feature-rich. Also didn't use a lot of resources from what I remember. OpenProject looks pretty neat too.

• imokimok Member

Awmusic12635 said: I am talking about their hosted version where they host it for you.

Ah right. I need to use my own domains for Confluence. Also, the cloud version does not support the addons that make Confluence a good option for me.

greattomeetyou said: How resource hungry is Confluence and JIRA?

Currently running on a VM with 6GB RAM (full) and 3 vCores. This is an own dedicated server so I'm not having problems now. I had to move it into the dedi because the 4 cores and 6GB RAM VPS with a well known provider wasn't performing as expected.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

for confluence alternative, any open source wiki can do I think.

For JIRA, there is nothing close to it in open source world. Unless you are willing to sacrifice a lot on the features

Thanked by 1imok
  • imok said: With all the software I currently have I've spent $40.

Could you list what you are using?
    Do you mean $40 per month?
    Thanks.

• imokimok Member

greattomeetyou said: Could you list what you are using?

Confluence + Scroll Viewport + Draw.io + Comala Share it (using trial because is fucking expensive) and Jira = $40 one-time payment.