Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New SoYouStart 2018 Prices - Page 17
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New SoYouStart 2018 Prices

Comments

• Shot2Shot2 Member

@TheLinuxBug My latest trial-and-error (all using the Debian 9 template, without 'distro kernel' checked, reinstalled between each attempt) :

• vanilla install, kernel 4.9.58 (boot/uImage) used, install cryptsetup+btrfs, reboot, bw throttled, but formatting and mounting luks device work
    • vanilla install, kernel 4.9.58 (boot/uImage) deleted thus 4.5.2 upon reboot, install cryptsetup+btrfs, no bw throttle, reboot, kernel panics upon formatting luks device

So... I have to decide whether I prefer safe backups that take months to restore, or unsafe backups that I can restore within minutes.

• sinsin Member

@hucken said:

@ericnyamu said:
    is a sale with no sale.how are we going to buy the servers on sale if there's no stock?

yeah, they are advertising the new servers for a week now on their page and for 2-3 weeks on twitter and still nothing but some price drops on game/storage

and Octave announced this all back on June 4th and now it's June 23 lol.

• msg7086msg7086 Member
    edited June 2018

@Shot2 said:

So... I have to decide whether I prefer safe backups that take months to restore, or unsafe backups that I can restore within minutes.

Or leave a non-encrypted partition where you can temp store some data in it, and switch between kernels before restore process. Eg. 3.5TB encrypted + 0.5TB buffer partition?

Thanked by 1Shot2
  • is a sale with no sale.how are we going to buy the servers on sale if there's no stock?

• Shot2Shot2 Member

@msg7086 said:

@Shot2 said:

Or leave a non-encrypted partition where you can temp store some data in it, and switch between kernels before restore process. Eg. 3.5TB encrypted + 0.5TB buffer partition?

That would be frigging tedious. Run Kernel 4.9, read 0.5TB of encrypted data and write it to the unencrypted buffer partition, switch kernel to 4.5, download then delete the 0.5TB of unencrypted data from the buffer at full speed, reswitch to Kernel 4.9... rinse, repeat.

• @Shot2 said:

@msg7086 said:

@Shot2 said:

That would be frigging tedious. Run Kernel 4.9, read 0.5TB of encrypted data and write it to the unencrypted buffer partition, switch kernel to 4.5, download then delete the 0.5TB of unencrypted data from the buffer at full speed, reswitch to Kernel 4.9... rinse, repeat.

Maybe just trust: sys to not mount and snoop on your drive, your ability to secure the box, that the next person doesn't recover your files.

Easy peasy

• FredQcFredQc Member

sin said: and Octave announced this all back on June 4th and now it's June 23 lol.

Welp, that's OVH... nothing much to say ;-)

Thanked by 1sin
  • Or you can use something else than LUKS to store your backups securely. Duplicati, s3ql, encfs... Plenty of options!

• huckenhucken Member

@FredQc said:

sin said: and Octave announced this all back on June 4th and now it's June 23 lol.

Welp, that's OVH... nothing much to say ;-)

yeah he said sth about 3 weeks but also sth about "coming next days" and step by step offers ... but it seems they will release them in one batch and wait till everything is set up. i hope they are ready this week - otherwise i have to pay my old sys for another month. still unsure how the Opteron 4334 will do against my old e3sat1 https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/AMD-Opteron-4334-vs-Intel-Xeon-E3-1245-V2/2733vs1191 - but double RAM/HDD are too tempting

Thanked by 1sin
  • TheXOTheXO Member

Mhm... am i the only seeing a price increase? E5-SAT-1-64, E5-SAT-2-64 prices just increased.

• i cant buy their cheapest storage server.

• msg7086msg7086 Member
    edited June 2018

@Shot2 said:

Or fuse mount your encrypted partition when restoring backup -- just my random two cents on workaround.

• The new OP-SAT servers look good. I have a OP-SAT-1-32 at the moment, it looks like you get 4 drives instead of 2, for the same price... The OP-SAT-2-128 looks amazing value, although slightly odd that it only has two disks. Dual Proc and 128Gb of RAM :)

• Shot2Shot2 Member

@msg7086 said:

@Shot2 said:

Or fuse mount your encrypted partition when restoring backup -- just my random two cents on workaround.

I don't get it.

• @Falzo it appears you and I should go work for OVH. We fixed their shitty kernel mess and in less than 4 days from that being posted here all but probably a very few of the 6TB servers in BHS are now gone. It would seem our work has made them a pretty penny.

Seems the thanks we get is some half assed kernel source and no instructions... one would think they would be more grateful... @OVH_Matt think maybe since we sold out almost all your stock you could actually get off your ass and provide us some good source packages and instructions for the platform? I mean if you want, we may even produce your next working kernel for you, since you guys seem to be too lazy to make something useful your selves.

Cheers!

• FalzoFalzo Member

@TheLinuxBug said:

haha :-D

at the moment I am bit stuck with work so haven't found the time yet to look into compiling it again. after all I don't really need much fancy stuff anyway for just putting some data on that disk. so maybe I'll leave it for the moment and let it run with the old unrestricted kernel forever ;-)

Thanked by 2TheLinuxBug Ympker
  • Vova1234Vova1234 Member, Patron Provider

Who bought GAME-2 or GAME-3 at a new price?

• I have no idea what to make of this...

"We have lot of requests to order more SYS every week. Thank you ! Right now, we have just 500 servers/wk but in 2 weeks we will have 1k/wk. Then I want to propose 2k/wk. Give me 2-3 weeks :)"

I am assuming that they are looking to ramp up the number of servers available in the new configs but, it's another 2-3 weeks out (?)

Thanked by 1dgprasetya
  • huckenhucken Member

well the old servers are showing up here and there and are sold pretty fast. the new configs still haven't seen the sunlight yet (or i was unlucky with site refresh and the checkserver notifier doesn't work) - still no idea what they are doing

• huckenhucken Member

they keep adding (expensive) stuff without being available

now new on the french page: SyS CPU
    from Xeon E5-2690v2 10c/20t 64GB for 95€ up to 2 x Xeon E5-2690v2 20c/40t 256GB 300€

• ZerpyZerpy Member

@jaypeesmith said:
    I have no idea what to make of this...

"We have lot of requests to order more SYS every week. Thank you ! Right now, we have just 500 servers/wk but in 2 weeks we will have 1k/wk. Then I want to propose 2k/wk. Give me 2-3 weeks :)"

I am assuming that they are looking to ramp up the number of servers available in the new configs but, it's another 2-3 weeks out (?)

OVH used to do the production of servers out of Roubaix (if I remember correctly), and final assembly in various locations, customizations such as disks.

They're moving their production and assembling of servers to a dedicated "factory" in Croix, that means they can produce more servers faster, and they moved the laser cutter there 6 days ago, so probably what they mean by production ramping up, is that they get more and more going on in their factory :-)

• It looks like they are starting to roll out some of the new configs in France. Nothing in Canada, yet.

• Jona4sJona4s Member
    edited June 2018

There were a couple ARM 2TB in stock. they lasted exactly 5 minutes :P

Somehow I manage to grab as much as I could lol

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member

Snagged another 6TB one in FR. There still seems to be some stock left - https://www.soyoustart.com/ie/offers/1801armada03.xml

• @K4Y5 said:
    Snagged another 6TB one in FR. There still seems to be some stock left - https://www.soyoustart.com/ie/offers/1801armada03.xml

This is brutal, unfortunately don't need it.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited June 2018

@vimalware said:
    What's the inbound performance with rsync + default AES ciphers, from say Hetzner network?

at 9euro, I should maybe just try out gSuite first to see if I can stuff 4TB there.

I’m paying $10/mo for unlimited space with GSuite and I have roughly ~8 TB of stuff on it :)

I’ve restored numerous backups as well from Google and there hasn’t been any restrictions/limits. A bonus is that GSuite has a SLA :)

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

https://www.soyoustart.com/ie/syscpu-servers/

More and more.... from 100$ E5, dual E5 and so on.

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member
    edited June 2018

@doghouch said:

@vimalware said:
    What's the inbound performance with rsync + default AES ciphers, from say Hetzner network?

at 9euro, I should maybe just try out gSuite first to see if I can stuff 4TB there.

I’m paying $10/mo for unlimited space with GSuite and I have roughly ~8 TB of stuff on it :)

I’ve restored numerous backups as well from Google and there hasn’t been any restrictions/limits. A bonus is that GSuite has a SLA :)

You can easily store more than 4TB on it. I have 15TB and 26TB of data across 2 G-Suite business accounts, and haven't faced any issues.

• vishvish Member

@K4Y5 said:

@doghouch said:

@vimalware said:

You can easily store more than 4TB on it. I have 15TB and 26TB of data across 2 G-Suite business accounts, and haven't faced any issues.

You’re not the only one, enjoy while we can!