Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Angristan and Nyr VPN script on Debian 9 slow speed?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Angristan and Nyr VPN script on Debian 9 slow speed?

Hi all,

Today I have setup 2 different VPS servers running Debian 9 and install Angristan on one of them and Nyr script on the other.

I used the default values on both scripts and the installation went fine and all is working. But there is a problem: speed is slow!

I have a fast internet connection (200down/20up) and when connected using VPN server on speedtest.net I'm unable to get more than 20Mbps. I have tryied on speedtest.net with multiple servers and the results are always similar.

So I went to check the speed of my VPS servers with the script: "wget freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash" and the results are great.

The slow speed only happens when using the VPN. Im using Windows 10 + the official OpenVPN client.

Anyone else having this issue? Have you tryied this scripts on Debian 9?

Any advice on why the slow speed and a way to fix it?

Thanks!

Comments

• Realstically, OpenVPN out of the box is known to be quite slow. Glancing over at the script that Angristan uses, it seems like they're using the AES cipher in GCM mode which has the ability of taking advantage of multiple threads to perform the ciphering operations. That's one thing they've done right. I'd say, try to increase your transmit and receive buffers on OpenVPN and see where that goes.

If you want fast speeds off of your personal VPN box, you can consider looking into setting up a xl2tpd/IPSec VPN server instead. I've personally seen this setup can achieve over 100mbits on modern processors that has the AES-NI instruction set.

• nqservicesnqservices Member
    edited June 2018

Hi @TriJetScud,

Thanks for the suggestions. But for now I don't want to mess too much with my setup. I had this same scripts installed on this same VPS servers but running Debian 8 and the speed was higher then.

Seems something on Debian 9 that is causing this. Anyone using Angristan and Nyr VPN script with Debian 9? Any speed issue?

Thanks

• saibalsaibal Member

Try this.

• @saibal said:
    Try this.

Thanks will try. But I have just now also tested on my Android phone using the official OpenVPN app the results are similar.

• @nqservices said:
    Seems something on Debian 9 that is causing this. Anyone using Angristan and Nyr VPN script with Debian 9? Any speed issue?

Thanks

If it helps, you could switch over to Ubuntu 16.04 and use the OpenVPN 2.4 PPA. I have yet to see any issues on that front.

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited June 2018

I use Nyr and have no issue. Speed is slower, but acceptable for what's needed. I use a Raspberry PI 3B+ as wireless router, with Nyr script for OpenVPN (because I like sharing with friends).

• @default said:

I use a Raspberry PI 3B+ as wireless router, with Nyr script for OpenVPN (because I like sharing with friends).

What is the max VPN average speed you can get on your Raspberry PI?

• mssfix 1420

Thanked by 1mksh
  • mkshmksh Member

@Minimalist said:
    mssfix 1420

Seconded. Keeping an eye on your MTU and adjusting configs accordingly can make a huge difference when it comes to actual speed.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @mksh said:

@Minimalist said:
    mssfix 1420

Where do I check and change that? On the OpenVPN server or on my own computer vpn client?

• mkshmksh Member

@nqservices said:

@mksh said:

@Minimalist said:
    mssfix 1420

Where do I check and change that? On the OpenVPN server or on my own computer vpn client?

https://forums.openvpn.net/viewtopic.php?t=19269

• aliletalilet Member

At least it is working in your case but mine is not working for many months now. The client connects, the icon turns green and IP is assigned but the internet doesn't work. I think once it worked but it was very slow like your case but 99% internet doesn't work when using Angristan. Tried it on both virmach and vultr on Debian 9 OpenVZ.

Then today I tried Nyr but client doesn't even connect to the server. I don't know what's going on.

• aliletalilet Member

Just gave Angristan another try now and noticed that no website other than bing.com opens. Tried to open reddit, google, yahoo, lowendtalk etc. but in vain. Only bing works!

• lionlion Member

@alilet said:
    At least it is working in your case but mine is not working for many months now. The client connects, the icon turns green and IP is assigned but the internet doesn't work. I think once it worked but it was very slow like your case but 99% internet doesn't work when using Angristan. Tried it on both virmach and vultr on Debian 9 OpenVZ.

Then today I tried Nyr but client doesn't even connect to the server. I don't know what's going on.

Most likely because the iptables kernel module isn't enabled for you OVZ container, therefore the script can't set the required routes.

• bbuckmbbuckm Member
    edited July 2018

@nqservices said:

The slow speed only happens when using the VPN. Im using Windows 10 + the official OpenVPN client.

Does Debian 9 even work at all with OpenVZ?

Any advice on why the slow speed and a way to fix it?

Recommend you try KVM and set up the OpenVPN yourself without someone else’s script.

My performance test results:

No VPN - 100% of ISP’s rated speed

OpenVPN - 90%

OpenVPN + SSR - 60%

• YmpkerYmpker Member

My Router also wouldn't work with Angristans due to TLS issues though. Nyr worked.

• No issue with angristan. Prefer lower aes and df

• @alilet said:

Sometime client wont connect to server after install openvpn because the time difference. Try to set your server time similar with your location.

• aliletalilet Member

@lion said:

@alilet said:

Most likely because the iptables kernel module isn't enabled for you OVZ container, therefore the script can't set the required routes.

I ran the following command to view loaded modules and here's the result:

cat /proc/net/ip_tables_matches

connmark
    connmark
    time
    string
    string
    mark
    mark
    comment
    connlimit
    conntrack
    conntrack
    conntrack
    owner
    limit
    set
    set
    recent
    addrtype
    addrtype
    owner
    length
    ttl
    tcpmss
    multiport
    multiport
    tos
    tos
    dscp
    state
    icmp
    udplite
    udp
    tcp

• Installing Openvpn using Nyr's script on a working server(lemp) , can this work?

• Have Nyr (UDP) on Debian 9 on a dedicated server. It maxed out my home connection (50mbit/10mbit) after following the advices posted here on LET

• @bbuckm said:
    @nqservices said:

Does Debian 9 even work at all with OpenVZ?

Not using OpenVZ. Im using a KVM VPS.

• aliletalilet Member

This issue 100% belongs to Debian 9 because just now I installed it on Debian 8 and VPN worked perfectly.