Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Get the last out of a atom cpu
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Get the last out of a atom cpu

NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Hi,

Im running a 22 slots TF2 Gameserver on one of these atom boxes from OVH, the problem is when the gameserver get nearly 22 slots it get laggy. We have atm 18/22 Slots and near every 10 seconds we get laggs cpu is at 91% one core which using srcds. Any idea to improve this?

Thanks

Comments

• Thanked by 1sc754
  • skaska Member

@Infinity580 said:
    Im running a 22 slots TF2 Gameserver on one of these atom boxes from OVH, the problem is when the gameserver get nearly 22 slots it get laggy. We have atm 18/22 Slots and near every 10 seconds we get laggs cpu is at 91% one core which using srcds. Any idea to improve this?

Could you test running TF2 using parallel?

• @Infinity580 said:
    Hi,

Thanks

Doesn't look like it load balances very well, I thought TF2 was multi threaded? Looks like it's sticking most of the work on one cpu.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited October 2013

@ska thanks i will try it.
    @sc754 it use only one thread.

• Get a hyper threaded Atom CPU

• tuxtux Member

@Jeffrey said:
    Get a hyper threaded Atom CPU

Atom N2800 is hyper threaded CPU.

It has 2 Cores and 2 HT

• No idea then if it uses one thread. I don't think it's possible to make it better. Only thing I know of is to edit the linux kernel and maybe tune down the hz value for fps. That will lower fps but also cpu load. Not sure what settings you have now, or how TF2 works but I know in cs 1.6 this works.

• I'm have no expiriance with TF2 but have you tried to set it to use only 1 core, I think you get lag when process starts to jump from 1 core to other, try setting affinity to use only 1 core, this could help in that:

http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/setting-processor-affinity-certain-task-or-process.html

• If your application is not multi threaded, turning off the hyperthreading of the CPU might improve single thread performance. But OVH probably wouldn't give you an IP KVM to go in the BIOS and turn off the hyperthreading.

@5n1p yeah i thought the same, i will try it.

@rds100 correct, i ask them months ago and they said i can only order a ip kvm for a month to change ontime my bios. Screw you OVH.

• @Infinity580 said:
    5n1p yeah i thought the same, i will try it.

rds100 correct, i ask them months ago and they said i can only order a ip kvm for a month to change ontime my bios. Screw you OVH.

I found with HL servers that if you use a custom kernel and remove high frequency timers along with dropping the hz value and setting it to run as a constant helps. For instance on cs if you drop hz from 1k to 300 you use about half the cpu per player.