Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH VPS SSD : announcing x2 more storage, and price decrease
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH VPS SSD : announcing x2 more storage, and price decrease

Hi there,

Earlier this week we increased the VPS SSD1 Storage from 10GB to 20GB SSD.
Also, the price is adjusted to the previous 12-months price, now whatever the duration (1/3/6/12 months)

The full range update for storage increase will follow

Hope you'll like it !

Have a good Week and stay tuned for SoYouStart changes next week :)``

Comments

• fxffxf Member

SYS changes? Oh dear. Oh my.

Thanked by 2mtsbatalha graphic
  • MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

wokenwoll said: SoYouStart changes next week

P.U.M.P.E.D. (but my wife & wallet aren't)

Do another sale on the GAME line with recurring discounts and I'm all over that like Nekki on a tentacle

Thanked by 3FoxelVox FHR rgenzon
  • @MasonR said:

wokenwoll said: SoYouStart changes next week

P.U.M.P.E.D. (but my wife & wallet aren't)

Do another sale on the GAME line with recurring discounts and I'm all over that like Nekki on a tentacle

hehe
    I don't wanna bamboozle you, but we will not need special Sales. the specs/prices ratio will speak for themselves.

I forgot to mention that we will adjust Public Cloud Sandbox-2 price to the VPS-SSD1 price next month. The tech specs too.

• @wokenwoll said:+

hehe
    I don't wanna bamboozle you, but we will not need special Sales. the specs/prices ratio will speak for themselves.

Good to hear. I'm looking forward to these offers. Will these changes impact existing customers? I'm good either way. I was just interested in knowing.

• @jaypeesmith said:

@wokenwoll said:+

hehe

Good to hear. I'm looking forward to these offers. Will these changes impact existing customers? I'm good either way. I was just interested in knowing.

No. As discussed on twitter with other customers, we have to reward our existing customer one way or another but the "how" isn't decided yet.

Also for a kind of "update/migration" patch it's very tricky since your are root, it's hard to automate on our side.

What's planned for sure is the revamp of SyS portfolio (all ranges) + the arrival of degressive prices based on the period duration. For new orders and renew order (example : 12 months = better price).

Thanked by 1jaypeesmith
  • @wokenwoll Thanks. I was speculating that this could be some sort of port speed change or something.

I'll be checking you all out next week to see what these changes are.

• @jaypeesmith said:
    @wokenwoll Thanks. I was speculating that this could be some sort of port speed change or something.

I'll be checking you all out next week to see what these changes are.

it will be more than just a price update :)

• sunnygsunnyg Member
    edited June 2018

@wokenwoll said:

No. As discussed on twitter with other customers, we have to reward our existing customer one way or another but the "how" isn't decided yet.

Also for a kind of "update/migration" patch it's very tricky since your are root, it's hard to automate on our side.

What's planned for sure is the revamp of SyS portfolio (all ranges) + the arrival of degressive prices based on the period duration. For new orders and renew order (example : 12 months = better price).

I'm fine with the way the network is currently for SYS servers. I don't think a port speed increase will make the network any better. All it will do is attract the seedboxes and tor-exit nodes back to OVH = more congestion for the rest of us.

If the price of the SYS dedicated servers could be adjusted for existing customers to the new proposed or at least to what was before the December 2017 DDOS price increase, I think that would be a kind gesture to all the SYS users who didn't jump ship after the November black-out and December price increase.

Long term pre-paid offers would be disappointing.

• @wokenwoll does Kimsufi vps come with ipv6 subnet? If you know..

• Vova1234Vova1234 Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2018

Why do not you plan to run SYS in other locations?

Hetzner, for example, launched auction servers in a new data center Finland.

• sunnygsunnyg Member
    edited June 2018

@Vova1234 said:

I really hope OVH never goes in the direction Hetzner did. SYS servers are effectively equivalent to Hetzner's server auction range, and despite having a quarter of the port speed, the peering at OVH is 100x better.

What does worry me is that OVH has raised all these millions of € to make these changes, but what about when its time to pay back all those loans? Will the prices get jacked again when its time to do that?

• v3ngv3ng Member, Patron Provider

@sunnyg said:

@Vova1234 said:

I really hope OVH never goes in the direction Hetzner did. SYS servers are effectively equivalent to Hetzner's server auction range, and despite having a quarter of the port speed, the peering at OVH is 100x better.

I would always prefer Hetzner over OVH, they offer a much faster support and a better network setup.

• Vova1234Vova1234 Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2018

sunnyg said: I really hope OVH never goes in the direction Hetzner did. SYS servers are effectively equivalent to Hetzner's server auction range, and despite having a quarter of the port speed, the peering at OVH is 100x better.

You did not understand me. I had introduced that the auction appeared in the NEW DATACENTER in Finland.

SYS for example is not present in Warsaw, Singapore, Sydney, Limburg, Erith, Vint-Hill.
    More assortment more sales. It's even possible to see how sales will go. This would be an interesting excusable sales or not.

• @Vova1234 said:

We -kind of- will. Same price range and same network specs. but on the OVH brand (so, with IPMI).
    That's almost already there with Discovery Offers and BV offers.
    I've just coded this website yesterday, it can help you to see the OVH prices : https://www.pricelist.ovh/
    We start at +-45 euros in new DC.

Thanked by 3Tom MasonR varunchopra
  • @tenpera said:
    @wokenwoll does Kimsufi vps come with ipv6 subnet? If you know..

Kimsufi VPS redirects you to OVH VPS order page you know :) magic.
    So in short, yes. 1 ipv4 + 1ipv6 per VPS.

• irmirm Member

any news on US VPS launch?

Thanked by 1sin
  • sinsin Member

Nice, bout to order one...still hoping I can grab one of those Kimsufi's I have been wanting though.

• @irm said:
    any news on US VPS launch?

If you mean in US datacenters, as far as i know it's not planned for the next quarter. But Public Cloud on those DC is on its way :) (you have the Sandbox instances, who are exactly VPS-SSD-*)

• Shot2Shot2 Member

@wokenwoll said:

@tenpera said:
    @wokenwoll does Kimsufi vps come with ipv6 subnet? If you know..

Kimsufi VPS redirects you to OVH VPS order page you know :) magic.
    So in short, yes. 1 ipv4 + 1ipv6 per VPS.

That is, if you consider one barely usable IPv6 address a "subnet" (the good old /128 joke)

Thanked by 1rm_
  • Actually you can use any IPv6 address within the whole /56. Don't ask me how I know it XD

Thanked by 1tenpera
  • fxffxf Member

@msg7086 said:
    Actually you can use any IPv6 address within the whole /56. Don't ask me how I know it XD

How do I know it?

• Soo many guys from ovh here. Goo job :) we need more of you guys.

@wokenwoll any info about port upgrade?

Colocrossing time to hand over LEB/LET to OVH. Lol

• williewillie Member

This is great, I had a VPS-SSD-1 for a year (at one of those 50% off sales which I guess will be a fond memory) and the 10GB disk was one of the limiting factors.

I'd like to see less expensive ftp storage (currently 2x Hetzner) or maybe less expensive traffic to and from Cloud Archive.

Also it would be awesome to see some GPU dedis or maybe the ability to dynamically connect a GPU to a public cloud instance. It's nice that GPU instances exist but they are quite expensive and maybe I don't need the GPU the whole time that the instance is running. I know that Google Cloud has attachable GPUs that way.

Finally, Digital Ocean recently switched to billing in 1 second increments, which is very nice because there's no longer an urge to finish up with an instance before the current hour finishes in order to avoid getting charged another hour. When it's a $5/mo droplet that's silly to start with, but OVH GPU instances start at 70 cents/hour and go up to $3.xx/hour, so it adds up.

• Shot2Shot2 Member
    edited June 2018

@msg7086 said:
    Actually you can use any IPv6 address within the whole /56. Don't ask me how I know it XD

Yep, it's been "known" for quite some time wrt OVH products now:
    https://otacon22.com/2016/02/21/two-hosting-providers-ipv6-setups-compared-ovh-online-net/

OVH still haven't managed to fix (and actually improve upon) their horribly broken IPv6 setup.
    Oh well.

Thanked by 1v3ng
  • FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

Will it be possible to upgrade existing VPS-SSD-1 to use the bigger storage?

• EasedEased Member, Host Rep

OVH, please make this change to Public Cloud S1-2, S1-4, and S1-8 instances too!

Thanked by 1albertdb
  • @wokenwoll the OVH Canada site had a $18/yr rebate on yearly purchases of VPS-SSD 2016, can you get them to activate this on VPS-SSD 2018 ?

• sinsin Member

@msg7086 said:

Yeah I use a /56 netmask for my Kimsufi IPv6 just to get it to work correctly

• bapbap Member

SG (APAC)?

This discussion has been closed.