Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No emails of pending renewal and then a redemption fee? [123-reg]
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

No emails of pending renewal and then a redemption fee? [123-reg]

wychwych Member
edited October 2013 in Reviews

So basically, one of the "bigger" names in domain registration sold some domain names last year on sale, so I got one and tried that registrar out.

A year later; no emails about renewal and just went to the site to see the holding page.

I then goto the account to renew it and see it cannot be renewed, I then raised a support ticket which was then not replied to - 6 hours later I call them to be told they want a redemption fee (7.5x the cost of the domain too).

Surely a registrar cannot just not send e-mails and then say you must pay their redemption fee at the end.

To top it off they also said the domain is auctioned instead of just being dropped at the end of redemption.

I have now asked for them to scan mail logs to find if anything was sent, as I use Live Domains on the e-mail on file and a search in their shows nothing.

P.S - Its not a LET/LEB provider before anyone says anything. Its 123-reg.

Comments

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited October 2013

So you didn't get any domain expiration notice? If that's the case it's against ICANN rules who recently even tightened this part.

Expiration Reminder Notices
    2.1.1. Prior to the expiration of any gTLD registration, registrars must notify the registered name holder of the expiration at least two times. One of these notices must be sent approximately one month prior to expiration and one must be sent approximately one week prior to expiration. In the event the registration is transferred to a different registered name holder pursuant to a provision of the registration agreement and in relation to the expiration of the registration (as described in paragraph 1.2) these renewal notices must be transmitted instead to the RAE. Nothing in this policy is intended to preclude registrars from sending additional notices, provided that at least two required notices are sent at the required times.

2.1.2. If a registration is not renewed by the RAE or deleted by the registrar, within five days after the expiration of the registration, the registrar must transmit at least one additional expiration notice to the RAE that includes instructions for renewing the registration.

2.1.3. Notifications of expiration may be presented in one or more languages, but must be provided in the language of the registration agreement and must be communicated in a manner, such as by email, that does not require affirmative action to receive the notification.

Post-Expiration Renewal
    2.2.1. Subject to applicable consensus policies and provisions of the Registrar Accreditation Agreement ("RAA"), registrars may delete registrations at any time after they expire.

2.2.2. For registrations deleted within eight days of expiration: The existing DNS resolution path specified by the RAE must be interrupted by the registrar from expiration of the registration until its deletion, to the extent the applicable registry permits such interruptions.

2.2.3. For registrations deleted eight or more days after expiration: For at least the last eight consecutive days (after expiration) that the registration is renewable by the RAE, the existing DNS resolution path specified by the RAE must be interrupted by the registrar to the extent that the applicable registry permits such interruptions.

Redemption Grace Period
    3.1. With the exception of sponsored gTLD registries, all gTLD registries must offer a Redemption Grace Period ("RGP") of 30 days immediately following the deletion of a registration, during which time the deleted registration may be restored at the request of the RAE by the registrar that deleted it. Registrations deleted during a registry's add-grace period, if applicable, should not be subject to the RGP.

http://www.icann.org/en/resources/registrars/consensus-policies/errp

• wychwych Member
    edited October 2013

@Spirit said:
    So you didn't get any domain expiration notice? If that's the case it's against ICANN rules who recently even tightened this part.

http://www.icann.org/en/resources/registrars/consensus-policies/errp

I thought this was the case, thanks for confirming.

Once second line support has replied to the mail log query I may point them to this page to see if that motivates them.

• try contacting them via PM :P http://www.webhostingtalk.com/member.php?u=408947

if that doesn't work --> http://www.icann.org/en/resources/compliance/complaints/renewal/form

To top it off they also said the domain is auctioned instead of just being dropped at the end of redemption.

...and that's also a violation of ICANN policy.

3.7.5.3 In the absence of extenuating circumstances (as defined in Section 3.7.5.1 above), a domain name must be deleted within 45 days of either the registrar or the registrant terminating a registration agreement.

http://www.icann.org/en/resources/registrars/accreditation/eddp

• LeeLee Veteran

No matter what they say they will do to notify you it's your responsibility to know when the domain is due for renewal.

• it's your responsibility to know when the domain is due for renewal.

I never know that with hundred and something domains spreaded among plenty registrars. Same goes for VPSs :( I recieve expiration notification and I renew it or I recieve invoice and I pay it.

• LeeLee Veteran

If the domains matter to you then you will make the tiny effort to keep a log of what needs renewed when. I have thousands and I never rely on an email from any registrar to tell or remind me when it needs to be renewed.

ffs people, your mothers can't do everything for you, when you get to adulthood it's a big dangerous world out there where you need to do things yourself.

• wychwych Member
    edited October 2013

@Spirit said:
    I never know that with hundred and something domains spreaded among plenty registrars. I recieve expiration notification and I renew it or I recieve invoice and I pay it.

I work the same way, given how many I buy on offer depending on what/if they are being used determines if they are renewed.

@W1V_Lee said:
    If the domains matter to you then you will make the tiny effort to keep a log of what needs renewed when. I have thousands and I never rely on an email from any registrar to tell or remind me when it needs to be renewed.

You mean renewal emails and information are not a good way of managing when they are needed...45,30,14 and 7 day emails are common with most of the registrars I use.

I suppose I should build a system to send myself a email or bug me as thats what the rest of the world does... If e-mail wasn't commonplace then ICANN wouldn't have it outlined in their policies.

@W1V_Lee said:
    ffs people, your mothers can't do everything for you, when you get to adulthood it's a big dangerous world out there where you need to do things yourself.

Time of the month?

EDIT- Built -> Build + Added italics.

• May do ;) - Saw it not long after making this post!

• @wych said:
    So basically, one of the "bigger" names in domain registration sold some domain names last year on sale, so I got one and tried that registrar out.

A year later; no emails about renewal and just went to the site to see the holding page.

I then goto the account to renew it and see it cannot be renewed, I then raised a support ticket which was then not replied to - 6 hours later I call them to be told they want a redemption fee (7.5x the cost of the domain too).

Surely a registrar cannot just not send e-mails and then say you must pay their redemption fee at the end.

I have now asked for them to scan mail logs to find if anything was sent, as I use Live Domains on the e-mail on file and a search in their shows nothing.

P.S - Its not a LET/LEB provider before anyone says anything. Its 123-reg.

Hi,

My name is Karra I work here at 123-Reg.

I have come across your post today and would like to help get this issue resolved for you. I can confirm we do send out renewal reminders 30 days prior to payment being due to process the renewal. I understand you have an open ticket with our 2nd line team if you would like to provide me with a ticket ID or domain name I will be happy to chase this for you or alternatively if you would prefer, you can email me these details to [email protected] .

Kind regards

• wychwych Member
    edited October 2013

Hi Karra.

Thanks for the reply; I have PM'd you the ticket ID.

After the last ticket response I cannot see a way of this being favourably resolved for either parties involved.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Even godaddy sends emails 90 in advance

• @netomx said:
    Even godaddy sends emails 90 in advance

Exactly.

• @wych said:
    After the last ticket response I cannot see a way of this being favourably resolved for either parties involved.

And that turned out to be true @online123reg.

• So, nothing in writing was all done over the phone, no reply about their processes so I think Ill report to the various registrars.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@online123reg as you have decided to come here to officially represent 123-reg perhaps you could explain why you don't feel following ICANN regulations is required for 123-reg?

It would seem this post confirms you do not send 30 day reminders, and if you do I am sure @wych has no problem with you posting the tranaaction log of your mail server handing over the message to his?

• @AnthonySmith said:
    It would seem this post confirms you do not send 30 day reminders, and if you do I am sure wych has no problem with you posting the transaction log of your mail server handing over the message to his?

They say it was sent, never got a copy of a log or anything... was all said over the phone to and not in emails conveniently too.

It was a .eu domain that wouldn't need as many reminders handled by EurID but I am sure they have the same processes for all domains, and they don't see any issue with it.

Hey that's fine, no problem at all, if they are happy to tell you the email was sent then they should have absolutely no problem at all providing the email transaction log.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    Hey that's fine, no problem at all, if they are happy to tell you the email was sent then they should have absolutely no problem at all providing the email transaction log.

Just a shame they wont.

@wych said:
    Just a shame they wont.

On what grounds did they reject your request?

• @AnthonySmith said:
    On what grounds did they reject your request?

They phoned me to say they confirmed it was delivered and discussed it all via telephone, my support ticket doesn't outline or confirm half of what was said.

I would phone them back :)

• @AnthonySmith said:

Nothing like a good whine when I finish my 9-5!

• @AnthonySmith said:

No comment to be made, and no further communication. Guess I got the cold shoulder!