Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS/Dedi for "sensitive" data (raid 5-10)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS/Dedi for "sensitive" data (raid 5-10)

Hey guys

I need to get dedi/vps (more than one) for data I cant lose (data will be stored in SQLite DB), would you suggest just couple vpses with good providers, raid5-10 storage or dedcated servers? There wont be many reads/writes to database so there servers would be nearly idle.

Comments

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/145646/how-many-idle-servers-you-have#latest

Cant you just use all 6 of your idle dedi and set up database replication?

• deankdeank Member, Troll

The end is nigh.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@dodheimsgard said:
    Hey guys

I need to get dedi/vps (more than one) for data I cant lose (data will be stored in SQLite DB), would you suggest just couple vpses with good providers, raid5-10 storage or dedcated servers? There wont be many reads/writes to database so there servers would be nearly idle.

Just chuck it up on S3 with a fuse mount.

• BharatBBharatB Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2018

@dodheimsgard said:
    Hey guys

We can provide you

Dual E5-2620v2

32GB RAM ECC

4x256GB Intel 545 SSD

10TB @ 1GigE

15Gbit/s Anti-DDoS

/29 IPv4 + /28 IPv4

for $84/mo

Psychz, LA

now as per your raid requirement we can do 2 ways

$20/mo for Raid card with BBU or 1 time setup fee while keeping your $84 recurring.

edited June 2018

@BharatB said:

@dodheimsgard said:
    Hey guys

We can provide you

Dual E5-2620v2

32GB RAM ECC

4x256GB Intel 545 SSD

10TB @ 1GigE

15Gbit/s Anti-DDoS

/29 IPv4 + /28 IPv4

for $84/mo

Psychz, LA

now as per your raid requirement we can do 2 ways

$20/mo for Raid card with BBU or 1 time setup fee while keeping your $84 recurring.

Might want to offer an actual solution than just offering one of your services.

For minimal read and writes @dodheimsgard doesn't need to setup the full infrastructure or even need to manage servers to deal with it. An external mount out to S3 would do the trick, if local caching is enabled on the mount you wouldn't even need to redownload the file when running reads against it.

edited June 2018

@trewq said:

( Most people are paranoid even to put their data on S3, reason why I offered him his own server to deal with )

Coming back to the solution I can suggest something

1) Enable binary logging to a separate db

2) Setup s3 client on his current server

3) Setup a cronjob to a bash script /python that pushes the file to s3 ( file name would include foldername/dbname-time. )

4) Flush previous logs after its done.

edited June 2018

BharatB said: Most people are paranoid even to put their data on S3

Quote of the year I think. S3 is trusted by many companies from Governments to Enterprise to micro businesses.

It makes sense to keep your own backups though, which for this could be as simple as running a Lambda script on a timed trigger with CloudWatch to backup the file using the sqlite3 backup command and send it off somewhere else (Which could even be backblaze).

I'm not sure of the filesize of this DB but if it's not too big everything I've suggested should fall under the AWS Free Tier (except the S3 outbound data usage).

EDIT: Possibly even the outbound would be covered if the write actions are limited.

https://aws.amazon.com/s3/pricing/

As part of the AWS Free Usage Tier, you can get started with Amazon S3 for free. Upon sign-up, new AWS customers receive 5 GB of Amazon S3 storage in the Standard Storage class, 20,000 Get Requests, 2,000 Put Requests, and 15 GB of data transfer out each month for one year.

I'm working directly with Amazon under contract, I'm also with companies who're migrating to in-house from S3.

No offense I quite like the ease of use of AWS and how much money it brings in even for architects & developers like us. I'd say companies are into AWS from the get-go since
    they're popular.

I've heard people praise AWS / curse them / some are even neutral. Well its down to individual opinions you don't expect such a big company to make a minor mistake like Uploading staging code to production to mess up S3 for few hours

• williewillie Member
    edited June 2018

Use MySQL with replication keeping in mind that the update rate will be very slow if the replication is across data centers. But it sounds like you don't have many updates.

Using an object store like S3 doesn't sound like the right thing. If you use something like OVH Cloud VPS the file system is triple replicated CEPH, which has had some problems, but it does provide some realtime protection from hardware crashes. Maybe they've got the bugs out by now. Hetzner also has a product like that, which is priced much lower but is newer and it's EU-only. You didn't say what location you wanted but I've had stuff in OVH's Canada location and it's been pretty good.

Clarification: I have not tried OVH's Ceph product (I've had other stuff with them in Canada and France). I spun up one of Hetzner's cloud instances with Ceph briefly and it seemed to work fine, but that says nothing about its long term reliability.

• How big is your data/DB size? Since you're mainly concerned about file(s) (a small set of them probably), you could also consider Hetzner's storage boxes or even rsync.net - both of them provide a "managed" storage service and will offer excellent data safety along with multiple versions/snapshots of your files.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL