Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Delimiter Server down [Atlanta] - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Delimiter Server down [Atlanta]

Comments

• BruceBruce Member

@DeftNerd said:
    I'm assuming you mean one of the SL160Z systems.

typo, and actually DL160. I also had SL160 until recently, but didnt renew

are you suggesting that they sold the business, and explained this outage to hide a DC move. something doesnt add up, youre right. why upgrade ? and why continue upgrading all 1500 servers after the first few are DEAD. robots ?

• during 3 days to get "Today we have recovered 1 system in 30 man hours" does not seem to be an normal host provider company to handle serious massive downtime.

• @Bruce said:
    are you suggesting that they sold the business, and explained this outage to hide a DC move. something doesnt add up, youre right. why upgrade ? and why continue upgrading all 1500 servers after the first few are DEAD. robots ?

Nah, thought about it, but then corrected myself and admitted that its an insane conspiracy theory. I was typing as a "stream of consciousness"

I did some digging though. There is no real Yomura, parent company of Delimiter. It's registered to the same people who registered Delimiter, and it's previous incarnations LTT. In fact, if you look at the ASN data, AS7363 is still registered to LTT even though it has the common name of Yomura. Same circle of UK directors and secretaries and all that stuff. And LTT was started with $250k in crowdfunded loans used to buy the assets of a company going out of business.

Eden Akhavi, who is a real technically literate guy and not just some business guy who spotted an opportunity, turned that into a real company with an impressive number of clients - But the whole Yomura thing is just a facade to make what he built seem even more impressive. I'm pretty sure the other listed person, Mary Shehata, is just his mom and he uses the address of her house & "cow sanctuary" (She's into animal rights, even wrote a book).

I think Delimiter and all the paper companies related to it is a much smaller operation than people expect. I bet it runs off of a staff of less than 4 or 5 people.... but Eden is really trying to shed his "Budget Provider" past and be taken seriously as a big company worth a lot of money, even though most of his clients are budget conscious and his assets/servers are so aged that they've been depreciated for years.

All he has to make Delimiter seem more valuable is its image, and he's trying to make it seem more "international" than it is... sadly, this third "black swan" event in the last year has ruined Delimiters reputation so much that pretending to be huge won't cover up the fact that the business is much smaller than appears.

His best bet is to just embrace the fact that he's one of the most successful upstart budget-focused providers out there and go with that. Jarland did that with email delivery with MXRoute, Francisco did that for VPS's with BuyVM, and Eden/Mark could do that for budget blade and slot hosting with Delimiter if he just embraced it and quit trying to pretend that they're not what they are.

Thanked by 1FrankZ
  • Oh, and in case anyone is wondering why the route to their (off) server has changed, there was a massive BGP declaration yesterday (9am UTC). I think it was to change all the routing away from the Atlanta data center to a "blackhole" in Nashville provided to them by Telia.

• Even so they are moving data center, that won't cost 5 days, I heard that Francisco of buyvm moved data center with all hardwares only take 8 hours of down time.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • wish someone could actually go check in ATL, to see what the hell is really up. smh

• @anton000 said:
    wish someone could actually go check in ATL, to see what the hell is really up. smh

I would but i wouldnt wanna keep their 1 staff away from fixing the issue

• @corbpie said:

@anton000 said:
    wish someone could actually go check in ATL, to see what the hell is really up. smh

I would but i wouldnt wanna keep their 1 staff away from fixing the issue

or you can offer them help, and help their 1 staff replace gear? haha

• @hostingtalking said:
    Even so they are moving data center, that won't cost 5 days, I heard that Francisco of buyvm moved data center with all hardwares only take 8 hours of down time.

I vaguely remember when that happened. I can't remember if I had a VM with Francisco at the time, but I remember all the customers being informed several times in advance, he outlined the plans down to incredible detail, and there was someone that basically live-blogged the whole process. There were few surprises, and everything went to plan.

@Francisco has the attention to detail and strategic planning that was necessary to pull that off, and uses the same skills to grow BuyVM. I think that's why while it's still technically focused on the hobby / bargain market, it's reliability is up there with enterprise hosts.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • rdesrdes Member

https://yomurafiber.com

Found this, I'm curious does it work just as "well" as their dedicated servers ;)..

• So now they switched local fiber business

@rdes said:

Found this, I'm curious does it work just as "well" as their dedicated servers ;)..

• @rdes said:

Feel sorry for anyone sucked into that

• @corbpie said:

@rdes said:

Feel sorry for anyone sucked into that

I'm pretty sure that Yomura Fiber is just a dream at this point with a well-designed site meant to gauge interest in potential customers. When enough people express interest or sign up, then Eden can take the list to financiers and get the capital necessary to start. It would probably start with WISP service (low capital investment and quick ROI) using leased dark fiber going to the WISP transmission nodes. Or, if a tall building wants fiber, lease the fiber near them, pull the last mile, and require them to allow the erection of the WISP antenna to provide service to the area around the site.

Once ROI is achieved, then profits can be used to run owned fiber to those nodes and offer direct fiber to any potential customers along the route. Then run fiber to a new node location and provide fiber to customers along that route, etc.

I'm not against the idea. I think Eden could pull it off and it's a smart way to get into the ISP market... But like I said, I think it's still in the conceptual stage.

Yomura Fiber Holdings Inc (C06914567) only has a /24 CIDR (199.233.245.0/24) at the moment and a quick scan shows that only two IP's are connected to anything.

• RoldanRoldan Member

My server still down for 5 days now :-(.
    I pre-paid this for 1 year. :(

• Delimter.... we De-Limit your down time.

• Yes, mine is still down. I guess it's same for everyone down.

@Roldan said:
    My server still down for 5 days now :-(.
    I pre-paid this for 1 year. :(

• It's going to be down for one week! Is that the way they tick away clients?

• DeftNerdDeftNerd Member
    edited June 2018

Holy crap, Delimiter just lost a bunch of their IP prefixes (IP Subnets). Are they transferring them away to someone else or something? They used to have about 45 prefixes, and now they have 12.
    https://bgp.he.net/AS7363#_prefixes

What are they up to? Any IP address/BGP experts available to figure this out?

Edit: It's possible that they just consolidated many neighboring /24 netblocks into /22's or /19's, but I'm not sure. I don't know why they would even be doing this house cleaning right now when they have much more important things to do.

• anton000anton000 Member
    edited June 2018

@AlyssaD said:
    So... the trace to my server has changed. Like reported on WHT, and Hostballs. It is possible Delimiter did a quick move to Nashville on our servers.

Server still down. But try pinging your assigned gateway. Mine replies and is up, but seems to now be in Nashville?

• DeftNerdDeftNerd Member
    edited June 2018

Looks like Friday morning they consolidated some IP space and sold off or transferred some other IP's. They went from 47 prefixes to 13 prefixes and went from 24,832 IPs to 16,128 IP's. I'm trying to figure out which prefixes were transferred and where they went.

Actually, it looks like it went from 14592 IP's to 13,824 IP's. So, not a huge change... but it begs the question... Why now? If they're just having problems with blades, why route to another city, why mess around with IP space?

I'm getting more and more concerned.

Later today I'm going to scan their IP space a little bit later to try to get a picture of how many blades are up. What's neat is that you can hit the ILO port at /xmldata?item=all even when you're not authenticated and get info like The ILO type (2/3/4), ILO firmware version, server type, product ID, IP addresses of all the NIC's, and a bit more (I think including the chassis ID).

I think I can write a little program that'll check every few hours to see if new ILO's are coming on and it'll let us follow along with the restoration.

• BruceBruce Member

my /24 has disappeared

• @DeftNerd said:
    Looks like Friday morning they consolidated some IP space and sold off or transferred some other IP's. They went from 47 prefixes to 13 prefixes and went from 24,832 IPs to 16,128 IP's. I'm trying to figure out which prefixes were transferred and where they went.

Actually, it looks like it went from 14592 IP's to 13,824 IP's. So, not a huge change... but it begs the question... Why now? If they're just having problems with blades, why route to another city, why mess around with IP space?

I'm getting more and more concerned.

Later today I'm going to scan their IP space a little bit later to try to get a picture of how many blades are up. What's neat is that you can hit the ILO port at /xmldata?item=all even when you're not authenticated and get info like The ILO type (2/3/4), ILO firmware version, server type, product ID, IP addresses of all the NIC's, and a bit more (I think including the chassis ID).

I think I can write a little program that'll check every few hours to see if new ILO's are coming on and it'll let us follow along with the restoration.

I think you are on the wrong forum, this isn't HackForums...

• @zafouhar said:

I think you are on the wrong forum, this isn't HackForums...

I'm not trying to hack anything, I'm attempting to validate their narrative that an ILO update went fine (over 1500 updates successful) until the very end when 200 blades were knocked offline.

Other recent actions like the massive BGP announcement that changed the routing for all the machines in Atlanta to Nashville makes me believe that something isn't right. I also haven't been able to find anyone who is saying that their server in Atlanta is actually up and operating, and why route the entire facility somewhere else if only 10% of the servers are down? Why is obj.space down?

I'm trying to find out if I'm incorrect in some of this research or if I'm correct, what's actually going on. Trying to understand the nature of a problem when the provider refuses to answer questions for days at a time isn't hacking, it's being a customer worried about the future of the $1000 in servers prepaid for the next year.

• Just a fun update about Delimiter.

My server never came back online. Ever. I got a single snarky reply to the helpdesk ticket that 'it was submitted to datacenter' and then crickets.

So I contacted American Express. Showed them the chat log (glad I took a screenshot) and well as the account disabled notification from the site.

Then... THEY DISABLED MY LOGIN! like, just blocked me out!

Got my money back.

@DeftNerd - My guess is that you are fced. Hopefully you paid on credit/paypal and can get a credit.

@AlyssaD - I got lucky I think. I'll be sure to steer anyone I find in the future away from delimiter.

@Silvenga - I think they block you as soon as you dispute so they can hide your chat logs and you can't provide any evidence. Good to take pictures before you dispute :/ --so why didn't you get money back? I thought paypal would credit you if the dispute went your way?

• @syadnom said:
    @DeftNerd - My guess is that you are fced. Hopefully you paid on credit/paypal and can get a credit.

Sadly no, I'm one of those Bitcoin nerds. Back in Dec when it was almost 20k a coin I dumped a lot of value into things I could pre-pay like my namesilo wallet, my delimiter account, pre-paying for a few years of usenet services, VPN services, tarsnap, email hosting, my electric bill, etc.

I'm just hoping Delimiter comes back up so I can ride out the value I already pre-deposited (enough to cover my 3 blades until the end of 2019)

• They lied to me and I called them out, suspended my server before due date. I hit them with a PayPal charge back detailing their failures and wrong doings, they never tried to defend themselves and I got my cash back.

• I just hope one of my servers is back online for atleast 10 mins so I could pull out some important data... Never going to host anything with them ever again.

• TomTom Member

@mehargags said:
    I just hope one of my servers is back online for atleast 10 mins so I could pull out some important data... Never going to host anything with them ever again.

Restore from backups ;-)

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member
    edited June 2018

@Tom said:

@mehargags said:
    I just hope one of my servers is back online for atleast 10 mins so I could pull out some important data... Never going to host anything with them ever again.

Restore from backups ;-)

Thanked by 1mehargags
  • I'm still out. 17 days and counting. Anyone know of a reasonably priced backup solution? Off site, that is.
    Thanks