Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wordpress.com vs self hosted wordpress
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Wordpress.com vs self hosted wordpress

I now have self hosted wordpress it cost me alot to maintain it , worpdress.com has plan for 20$ and they don't have any limit , what my question is how there page speed is ? have anyone tested them ?
there main website always work fast but my question how there other hosted payed plans work

Comments

• nepsneps Member

Wordpress.com is fast, reliable, and easy, but your options are very limited.

• What option limited there ?

• @neps said:
    Wordpress.com is fast, reliable, and easy, but your options are very limited.

What option limited there ?

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
    edited May 2018

@iContact said:

You need to have Premium plan in order to have no WordPress ads.

I like the Premium plan feature: Simple Payments - PayPal button on your website. wow, everyone can copy the code from PayPal and integrate it on any shared hosting or any web page.

• @WebProject said:

@iContact said:

I like the Premium plan feature: Simple Payments - PayPal button on your website. wow, everyone can copy the code from PayPal and integrate it on any shared hosting or any web page.

He seems to be asking about Premium or Business plan only.

edited May 2018

@jetchirag said:

@WebProject said:

@iContact said:

He seems to be asking about Premium or Business plan only.

Business plan - No such thing as unlimited, just need to check the terms and conditions to find out when your project will be kicked out from their service as normally restriction like hard drive, bandwidth and CPU usage applies

Business plan allow to install third-party themes and plugins (according to wordpress website), who stopping you to install the themes and plugins on shared hosting or VPS?

• jvnadrjvnadr Member

There is anything unlimited in hosting industry. Unlimited is a term that fits to newbies with personal / not proffesional websites with low to medium visits and not very heavy. if you load your WP installation with a lot of plugins and get it heavy when the same time you reach real audience (several 1000's visitors per day), then, I guess that the 20$/m wordpress hosting account will suffer because, after all, it's just a shared hosting account with shared resources.
    On the other hand, if you are now hosted on a shared account and not on a vps/dedi, then, wordpress.com will probably cover your needs.
    And a question: what is the maintain procedure that costs you a lot on self hosted WP, and you think that if you host your site on wordpress.com will not demand almost the same efforts? Update WP and plugins? Backups? Security?

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited May 2018

I'd certainly use paid WP option if their entry price point was lower. Google's blogger is a far attractive option if it doesn't have to be WP and don't want to pay.

• iContactiContact Member
    edited May 2018

I have checked there tos there no any limit there, like it stated on there website there infastracture have multipulte datacenters and all run in cloud if visitor come from us he will get the files from us dc and so on... is there anyone using them?

Know that vague limit is far more dangerous than clear limit.

Thanked by 1willie
  • sleddogsleddog Member

Wordpress.com's top-of-the-line Business plan offers "Unlimited Storage Space", nothing more. If your site hammers their service I'm sure they'll find a way to charge you more or shut you down :)

"Automattic may terminate your access to all or any part of our Services at any time, with or without cause, with or without notice, effective immediately."

In other words, they shut you down whenever they feel like it and you can't sue in response.

Damn.

• jhjh Member

Not tried wordpress.com. wpengine is worth a look - good support, dev and staging environments, reliable, git integration and decennt caching. Pantheon is similar but more $ and less performance in my experience.

It's all a bit overpriced though. For a small site just get some decent shared hosting. If your find some with Litespeed, the Litespeed plugin for WordPress is really good

• aglodekaglodek Member

@iContact said:
    I now have self hosted wordpress it cost me alot to maintain it...

Negligible hosting expenses aside, what sort of high maintenance costs are you referring to?

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited May 2018

Let me propose this instead:

Contact @Clouvider . Ask kindly if he can set you up with WordPress on any of his VPS plans and tweak it a bit (and install LE). Enjoy superb performance.

You may as well ask @Francisco if lower budget. If I remember correctly he does offer something like WP setup upon request on his VPSes.

Thanked by 1Clouvider

I think for $20 /month better to get SSD or NVME VPS and get better performance website instead of worry about when your website will be suspended or kicked out as your website reached certain amount of traffic or someone decided that your website is using too much server resources.

• I now use hetzner and ovh dediceted servers , I talked to there support and found why there no any limit, for all plans they allow only wordpress ads , if you want monetize your website you need to use there ads

• trvztrvz Member

WebProject said: I think for $20 /month better to get SSD or NVME VPS and get better performance website instead of worry about when your website will be suspended or kicked out as your website reached certain amount of traffic or someone decided that your website is using too much server resources.

This, but without the VPS. I recommend Hosting4Real.

edited May 2018

@trvz said:

WebProject said: I think for $20 /month better to get SSD or NVME VPS and get better performance website instead of worry about when your website will be suspended or kicked out as your website reached certain amount of traffic or someone decided that your website is using too much server resources.

This, but without the VPS. I recommend Hosting4Real.

I can see they are very professional with their website (your link) shows the following error:
    Forbidden

Access to this resource on the server is denied!

• ZerpyZerpy Member

@WebProject said:
    I can see they are very professional with their website (your link) shows the following

Or maybe they just don't want people from LET, the crowd that expects the world for $7

Thanked by 1WebProject