Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

For occasional cryptocoin use: coinbase, or...?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

For occasional cryptocoin use: coinbase, or...?

raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

I occasionally want to buy something with cryptocoins, but I don't regularly hold them. Bitcoin and perhaps Ethereum in the future as one vendor prefers it.

I've been using Coinbase...should I stick with them or is there something better?

Comments

• GravelyGravely Member

Ive only ever used the following

https://www.btcmarkets.net/
    https://www.coinspot.com.au/ (Cause Australia :P )

• JunJun Member

I don't know much about cryptocoin exchange company but unless there is a very good reason to move out of certain exchange, I would prefer to stick with what I have. I don't want to send my ID and a mugshot just to join another exchange.

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

Gdax (owned by coinbase, just login with your coinbase account). No trading fees on limit orders - and coins you purchase can be sent out with no BTC transaction fee.

Depending on what you're buying, don't pay for it directly from your coinbase/gdax wallets. They've shutdown accounts that have sent payments to an address tied to a questionable site/company/person - and I believe they've done it retroactively as well. Best to send to your own wallet immediately after purchasing, then do with it what you want from there.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
    edited June 2018

Harambe said: Gdax (owned by coinbase, just login with your coinbase account). No trading fees on limit orders - and coins you purchase can be sent out with no BTC transaction fee.

I'm done with Coinbase. They locked my account for some reason and

• they can't tell me why

• they haven't answered emails in over a week

• when I called their 1-800 the woman I spoke with said she had no idea what the problem was and "maybe you should just open another account" (i laughed at this - can you imagine a real bank saying that?)

• when I opened a new account it was immediately blocked

This for someone who's put maybe $50 into Coinbase in grand total and only ever sent to private individuals, and used his easily-verifiable real name and info to boot.

Well that was a profitless hour. All I want to do is buy about $50 in bitcoin with a credit card, which is apparently impossible these days.

• Coinbase: disqualified for cluelessness

• BTC Markets: Australians only

• CoinSpot: Australians only

• CoinMama: apparently a scam, as they ask for all kinds of personal information only to then inform you they don't offer services in your area.

• Bitaccess: Canada only

• Canadian Bitcoins: Canada only

• Quadriga: Canada only

• QuickBT: Canada only

• Gemini: looks like a freakin' brokerage. And they don't take cards.

• Cex.io: Charges $4.99 + percentage PER TRANSACTION. Frack that.

• Itbit: "Open Trading Account"...I don't want to trade you fools.

• Bitstamp: most of their docs linked back to the login page. I want my questions answered before you harvest my email, fools.

• Kraken: no cards

lather rise repeat for a half dozen others.

I'd really rather not link my main account, so I suppose I'll have to go open a separate bank account. Boy this Bitcoin stuff is sure liberating.

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited June 2018

https://cryptomate.co.uk/

I can't vouch or say much, I found them after digging around for solutions regarding monero. Looks like they only accept UK bank transfers though.

• Bitpanda?

• @raindog308 The one time that Canada has better options than the US!

(QuadrigaCX has instant transfers between my bank and their site lol)

sayem314 said: Bitpanda?

Europe only - can't even register without specifying a EU country.

ricardo said: Looks like they only accept UK bank transfers though.

Yep, UK bank accounts only.

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

If you're really in need I can send you BTC at cost for PayPal Family+Friends. I have a bunch and can spare some.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

MasonR said: If you're really in need I can send you BTC at cost for PayPal Family+Friends. I have a bunch and can spare some.

Ditto. $50 is not much after all.

But if you COULD use Coinbase, I'd say stick with them. Sure they charge a sizable percentage on every transaction, but it's really not much worse than using your CC abroad. Does anyone else see the irony in that?

• williewillie Member

raindog308 said: buy about $50 in bitcoin with a credit card, which is apparently impossible these days

I'm amazed if it's ever been possible, given the possibility of chargebacks and fraud. At minimum I'd expect it to be processed as a cash advance rather than as a purchase. I don't know if it's ever possible to do cash advances online. It might be easier with a debit card.

Maybe you could ask r/bitcoin on reddit for advice?

• YmpkerYmpker Member

Im with Blockchain

• AidanAidan Member

I buy from Luno & instantly move my BTC to Blockchain.

Not working with large amounts, so I couldn't be bothered to save 1% more somewhere less convenient.

• You should look again into Bitstamp. They are really solid, great service and their average price is one of the cheapest. If it's to buy use Bitstamp. To sell use GDAX.

• AidanAidan Member

raindog308 said: All I want to do is buy about $50 in bitcoin with a credit card, which is apparently impossible these days.

You'll need to be ID-verified, thank all the scammers for that one.